Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

721 - 728 of 728 Posts

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
A little update since I was able to get the R1 engine out and head off............. I am not going to speculate on what broke first, but the single valve spring being broken does sound some alarm bells

better view of just how cracked the head is where those parts made valiant attempts to escape the inside of the running engine

the piston top, the valve never actually fell out of the guide, so "just" piston damage

the inside view of the head where those parts pounded hard tryng to escape

the valve guide...... yes, about half of it broke off and was trapped inside the broken valve spring

the broken valve spring and the squished flat retaining clips and the broken up retaining washer was retrieved

still have the whole lower half to disassemble...........

head, $1400
valve springs are $115 each (and I absolutely would replace all 16.... $1850)
guide seals, and all the gaskets and seals and new rings and a piston and of course new crank and rod bearings, oil pump etc.......... approx another $1200

So minimum is $4500 in parts and then of course atleast $1500 in labor, maybe more..........

or.......... there is a complete engine with reported 2600 miles on it for sale for $4800
............. there is a (appears to be good head complete) with reported 17,000 miles on it for $480

If it were mine I would buy the used head and then the rest new parts and put it all back together (saving about $3000) of course tear down head and inspect, clean and make sure it is all gtg....

But he is looking at yet a 3rd option......... apparently copart (crashed toyz) has a few 15-20 R1's up for auction and 1 of them out in Portland only has a bid of $125 currently (we all know it will go up, way up before it actually sells) another one in Atlanta is @ $775 and bidding ends this weekend (front end completely torn off this one, so going to be atough transport sans forklift useage) or a 2018 currently @ $5400 with only cosmetic damage

anyways.......

On his H2, the hit and run driver admitted fault to his insurance company yesterday after police showed him the video of him hitting the motorcycles, so apparently this guy is getting a check today for the whole $5,025 of the estimate when the adjuster stops by his house to take a peek at it...... (or atleast that is his hope)
So he can bring that straight to me for deposit on fixing his R1..... and to order some parts for his H2........lol
I guess that driver had full coverage but no license, thus his fleeing instead of simply turning into his driveway when the police were there waiting for him....fucking dumbass
What the actual fuck?

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
A little update since I was able to get the R1 engine out and head off............. I am not going to speculate on what broke first, but the single valve spring being broken does sound some alarm bells

better view of just how cracked the head is where those parts made valiant attempts to escape the inside of the running engine

the piston top, the valve never actually fell out of the guide, so "just" piston damage

the inside view of the head where those parts pounded hard tryng to escape

the valve guide...... yes, about half of it broke off and was trapped inside the broken valve spring

the broken valve spring and the squished flat retaining clips and the broken up retaining washer was retrieved

still have the whole lower half to disassemble...........

head, $1400
valve springs are $115 each (and I absolutely would replace all 16.... $1850)
guide seals, and all the gaskets and seals and new rings and a piston and of course new crank and rod bearings, oil pump etc.......... approx another $1200

So minimum is $4500 in parts and then of course atleast $1500 in labor, maybe more..........

or.......... there is a complete engine with reported 2600 miles on it for sale for $4800
............. there is a (appears to be good head complete) with reported 17,000 miles on it for $480

If it were mine I would buy the used head and then the rest new parts and put it all back together (saving about $3000) of course tear down head and inspect, clean and make sure it is all gtg....

But he is looking at yet a 3rd option......... apparently copart (crashed toyz) has a few 15-20 R1's up for auction and 1 of them out in Portland only has a bid of $125 currently (we all know it will go up, way up before it actually sells) another one in Atlanta is @ $775 and bidding ends this weekend (front end completely torn off this one, so going to be atough transport sans forklift useage) or a 2018 currently @ $5400 with only cosmetic damage

anyways.......

On his H2, the hit and run driver admitted fault to his insurance company yesterday after police showed him the video of him hitting the motorcycles, so apparently this guy is getting a check today for the whole $5,025 of the estimate when the adjuster stops by his house to take a peek at it...... (or atleast that is his hope)
So he can bring that straight to me for deposit on fixing his R1..... and to order some parts for his H2........lol
I guess that driver had full coverage but no license, thus his fleeing instead of simply turning into his driveway when the police were there waiting for him....fucking dumbass
*Bike from Portland May have a slight campfire smell.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
*Bike from Portland May have a slight campfire smell.
lol, by early October it may be a molten pile of plastic goo and melted aluminum surrounded by burn rubber bits....

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
I am chuckling a little bit inside at this guy............

So guy drives his bike about 100 miles to get it to me, 2013 V-Star 1300......... just under 20,000 miles and pretty minty looking

What does he want.........

Well he just bought this bike in July (first motorcycle ever) and his buddies have various bikes, but VTX1800 and a Triumph Tiger and some huge fucking Victory something... (so he is 40+ hp short of what any of those have)
So he says when they go riding together all those guys can pass cars with ease and he gets left behind and they have to often slow down to wait for him to catch up...

he wants to change that, and what does he want in order to change that.........of course, more power

I asked him if he ever thought about downshifting to pass.........lol OMG

He actually said "no that will hurt the engine to rev that high"

What in the actual fuck are these morons taught these days........ugh, anyways- so I guess $2000+ later he will have aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket pro charge intake package(about 3 times as open as the stock box) and an ecu flash along with the 16,000 mile valve adjustment service also done.......... Dyno charts show it is about a 15hp gain, which seems pretty substantial on a 63ish HP bike with only about 80 ft/lbs of tq..... more than 20%...

I still think he should have saved his monies and just downshifted..and done the requisite services and also fixed the suspension woes....... but, whatthefuckdoiknow.......... maybe when his eardrums are shattered now (no helmet guy) he will think back on how Lloyd told him so.... likely not, seems to far gone with the dumbs to me

Reactions: laggy311 and RJ2112

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
I am chuckling a little bit inside at this guy............

So guy drives his bike about 100 miles to get it to me, 2013 V-Star 1300......... just under 20,000 miles and pretty minty looking

What does he want.........

Well he just bought this bike in July (first motorcycle ever) and his buddies have various bikes, but VTX1800 and a Triumph Tiger and some huge fucking Victory something... (so he is 40+ hp short of what any of those have)
So he says when they go riding together all those guys can pass cars with ease and he gets left behind and they have to often slow down to wait for him to catch up...

he wants to change that, and what does he want in order to change that.........of course, more power

I asked him if he ever thought about downshifting to pass.........lol OMG

He actually said "no that will hurt the engine to rev that high"

What in the actual fuck are these morons taught these days........ugh, anyways- so I guess $2000+ later he will have aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket pro charge intake package(about 3 times as open as the stock box) and an ecu flash along with the 16,000 mile valve adjustment service also done.......... Dyno charts show it is about a 15hp gain, which seems pretty substantial on a 63ish HP bike with only about 80 ft/lbs of tq..... more than 20%...

I still think he should have saved his monies and just downshifted..and done the requisite services and also fixed the suspension woes....... but, whatthefuckdoiknow.......... maybe when his eardrums are shattered now (no helmet guy) he will think back on how Lloyd told him so.... likely not, seems to far gone with the dumbs to me
What Victory was it? I always wanted a Gunner. Teat drove an Octane. Awesomely fast bike. Couldn’t get used to the throttle-by-Wire.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
What Victory was it? I always wanted a Gunner. Teat drove an Octane. Awesomely fast bike. Couldn’t get used to the throttle-by-Wire.
he did not know, he is obviously from the motorcycle class of obliviousness to detail..... I bet he walks looking at the ground too unaware of the threats around him....

Reactions: laggy311
721 - 728 of 728 Posts