Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

701 - 720 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #701 (Edited)
FYI..........

I am sure a few have noticed my mostly absent for the past month.......

June 14th I departed on a solo motorcycle ride and about 100 miles in I had a deer jump out of the woods right in front of me- maybe 15 or 20 feet, so nothing to do when going 70ish but hit it ( I had less than .2 seconds to try and do anything...... and about all I accomplished was going from about 50* lean angle to maybe 45* lean angle and some slowing with off throttle..........but really about nothing)

So I am traveling uphill going around a relatively open sweeping right hander but the woods are only about 2' off the paved surface on the right and from that there is a steep incline rising about 15' to a flat in the woods (where...... when I got to back about 2 weeks later and see it, there were deer standing looking at me............ I know where the next hunting trip needs to be)

^ here is google earth view of the location

So anyways.......... The deer was basically trying to cross from right to left across the road and an angle away from me, so the hit...... Its head was right square in the headlights, then it road up and over the instruments destroying everything on the way until its head caught me square in the rib cage............ broke 2 ribs where its head hit, but the deers body wrapped around the right side (top side sort of considering lean angle) of the bike and locked the front brake up when its body pushed against the lever......... ejecting both me and the deer over the high side and sent the bike tumbling down the road past me.......

Byt the time I stopped moving, I took some body inventory and knew I broke ribs again, but my left thumb was super sore, my right shoulder hurt and my helmet was destroyed (all vents and faceshield broken off and all sides and top ground down from the tumbling (fully intact shell and no concussion or head injuries- but one hell of a tumble, one surely someone without gear would not have survived)

I had to walk through the 50 long by full road width mine field of broken plastics and headlight pieces, mirrors and signals etc to get to the tank bag that was also ejected from the bike to get to my cell phone...... I waited about 10 minutes for any type of help to drive by or the phone to ever get reception (neither ever happened) before walking the almost 1/4 mile downhill to the closest house (hoping someone was home!!!, I am not sure I had enough adrenaline left if I would have had to walk another 1/4 mile to the next house)

Nice school teacher lady answered and got an ambulance, helicopter and sherrif on the way........ Her son went up and retrieved my bike for me and put it in her driveway (where my brother later picked it up for me)

So ambulance picked me up from her stoop, drove me about 200' down the road to the waiting helicopter to fly me the 32 miles to Mayo in Eau Claire WI where I was kept for a couple weeks (5 of those days I have zero recollection of as the internal bleeding when they put me on blood thinners was so extreme I had to get a couple pints/liters??? of someone elses blood and they put me under for 4 or 5 days...... 3 chest tubes shoved in, a vacuum pump of some sort also attached to me on my right side....... 5 ribs broken, 3 of them are ribs that were repaired in 2015 with those Ti plates, they broke next to the Ti plate

no new Ti hardware this trip, but still a month out now my ribs hurt like hell but worse really for me is that my right foot and anle have that pins and needles feel and twinges of about level 4 pain pretty regularly with zero explanation and they don't seem concerned, but to me that is worse than the ribs still hurting right now......... ugh

So I have been slowly working again, but it is kind of work at half speed for an hour, rest for an hour or two..... be lucky if I can get in 4 hours in any day thus far

Every piece of the motorcycle hit the ground this trip, but the forks, wheels and frame all seem straight and good still (as good as I could check without being to really move the bike up on the lift)

I already had another new tank sitting here, and now have mirrors, all the ram air stuff that disappeared and a new fairing stay......... But I am having to decide........ $1840 for all new oem bodywork or $500ish for aftermarket??
I have had no good experience with any aftermarket street stuff that any customer has brought in so I am not sure trying to save $1300 is really worth it......... but we'll see
I will need to re foam and recover the seats and get grab bars, signals, windshield and the bars are pretty ground down and look to be bent too, steering stops broke clean this time after having been bent last time
99,000 miles it may well not be worth fixing, but it has full Ak20's and penske suspension and I enjoy the bike....... a little less so after now the second hospital visit crash on it, but I am sure I will be riding it again before September, maybe it will only be with other riders though- more security and geting help if/when needed..........

deer trail coming down the hill right to the roads edge
brake lock up skids from deer applying the brakes too hard
sme gouges in the road from the bike sliding and tumbling
the distance from where bike stopped to where I hit the deer (trail is at front bumper of my dads suv)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
^ So if you have been following along for a few years now......

I am absolutely regretting the decision to not buy an airbag suit/vest or something back in 2015 (no guarantee it would have saved all the ribs, but surely it would have helped some???)

But this go round of all new gear.......... yep........... airbag suit it will be, now to just decide which one.....I have about a month to get somehting here I think, it is going to take that long to recover and "make up" for a month of lost income, damn good thing I was so busy the first 3 months of the season, financially this doesn't hurt too bad now.....

Reactions: Ey3l45h

·
Registered
13,486 Posts
Wow..... GLAD to hear you're still with us!

Part of the game, and all....

I knew something must have happened; too many people with simple maintenance questions came and went without you telling them what they really needed to know. ;)

·
Director of Moderation
10,140 Posts
Damn, that sucks rivers! Glad you're still alive and kickin. Was wondering how come there's been no posts from you in a few weeks.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
Dude! So fucking glad you’re good to go. That ankle thing sounds shitty. Can’t believe you actually gouged the asphalt. We DO love you man!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Good to see you 'surface', Lloyd....
Wow..... GLAD to hear you're still with us!

Part of the game, and all....

I knew something must have happened; too many people with simple maintenance questions came and went without you telling them what they really needed to know. ;)
I was wondering what was going on as well!

Man, rivers, I'm glad you "walked" away from that! Prayers for a quick and full recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Holy crap Riverszzr....glad to hear you are recovering, hope you heal up fast! Wow...glad to have you back, you are a gem in this community who has been on this forum longer than 99% of us. Don't scare us like that anymore!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yikes. Sounds hairy as all hell. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
It has been awhile.............

So this customer bought this bike brand new, and like all his bikes he is very neglectful in maintenance.....

So 46,000 miles and never adjusting valves, hell as I pull it apart the air filter is so plugged I am surprised it ran even halfway decent...........

Anyways so story goes, he was earlier in the day running 160+ on public roadways with his other idiotic moronic dumbfuck assholes and on his way home later than night from riding with all his other likeminded mornic dumbfucks (yep I tell him this right to his face everytime I have to hear his idiotic dumbfuck stories)........ he is cruising along at about 80 and hears some loud noises and at first thinks it is other traffic, but then realizes the noise stays with him after passing any and all traffic
he pulls in the clutch and noise dies down, lets out clutch noise is back......... finally pulls over and almost immediately has a small oil puddle under the bike.......... Tows the bikes home then to the shop to have me look it over

So; he ate the cam and the rocker and the broken rocker spit into the head and cracked the head, dropped the valve and the oil and filter were full of brozen looking material to boot (rod or main bearing?)

I am still in the process of taking this apart, but this is what I have found thus far.......

valve clearances......... well the other 15 I can still measure are all about 1/2 of what they are supposed to be

left intake valve on #1 cylinder goes up and down with sitting on the piston and somehow still stays in the guide
cam is shot
rocker is broken
valve retaining washer is MIA

and I have not seen a single R1M engine for sale in the hour plus I looked last night to see if there are any and at what kind of price, since I have a feeling oe parts replacement alone will exceed $5000 on this engine
but the teardown continues..........

oh, and while he was out riding his H2 SX-SE and parked at a gas station, some fucktard in a pick up truck backed into his bike and then fled........... I wrote up the estimate.......... $5,025

there is video (crappy video but video) and the police were at this hit and run drivers house when he arrived home, saw the police and floored it, police chase ensued where he crashed his truck and ended up in jail anyways.but he claims he didn't hit any motorcycles (why did you flee then?)

anyways.......... H2 SX-SE takes a one off brake lever, only bike in the world it fits, and yup.......... there isn't one anywhere in the world and it will be 4-6 weeks before he sees that.......... so now 2 of his 13 bikes are in need of major work, about 6 of them he has not ridden in more than a decade,
so his choices to ride now........
a 1989 GL1500 Goldwing that runs but not super good since it sits alot and needs the carbs cleaned
or his purple 1980's 52hp Harley

I guess he will be riding the Hardley for the rest of the season........

Attachments

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
WooHoo, I was finally able to get this last night...........

now to take measurements with it on to get the custom suit measurements correct and get that going........gee likely another 4-6 weeks before I see that, but then I will have the riding gear protection I desire ......

becasue I am 100% certain I will hit more deer in my lifetime........

Attachments

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
WooHoo, I was finally able to get this last night...........

now to take measurements with it on to get the custom suit measurements correct and get that going........gee likely another 4-6 weeks before I see that, but then I will have the riding gear protection I desire ......

becasue I am 100% certain I will hit more deer in my lifetime........
Is this for an airbag suit?

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
It has been awhile.............

So this customer bought this bike brand new, and like all his bikes he is very neglectful in maintenance.....

So 46,000 miles and never adjusting valves, hell as I pull it apart the air filter is so plugged I am surprised it ran even halfway decent...........

Anyways so story goes, he was earlier in the day running 160+ on public roadways with his other idiotic moronic dumbfuck assholes and on his way home later than night from riding with all his other likeminded mornic dumbfucks (yep I tell him this right to his face everytime I have to hear his idiotic dumbfuck stories)........ he is cruising along at about 80 and hears some loud noises and at first thinks it is other traffic, but then realizes the noise stays with him after passing any and all traffic
he pulls in the clutch and noise dies down, lets out clutch noise is back......... finally pulls over and almost immediately has a small oil puddle under the bike.......... Tows the bikes home then to the shop to have me look it over

So; he ate the cam and the rocker and the broken rocker spit into the head and cracked the head, dropped the valve and the oil and filter were full of brozen looking material to boot (rod or main bearing?)

I am still in the process of taking this apart, but this is what I have found thus far.......

valve clearances......... well the other 15 I can still measure are all about 1/2 of what they are supposed to be

left intake valve on #1 cylinder goes up and down with sitting on the piston and somehow still stays in the guide
cam is shot
rocker is broken
valve retaining washer is MIA

and I have not seen a single R1M engine for sale in the hour plus I looked last night to see if there are any and at what kind of price, since I have a feeling oe parts replacement alone will exceed $5000 on this engine
but the teardown continues..........

oh, and while he was out riding his H2 SX-SE and parked at a gas station, some fucktard in a pick up truck backed into his bike and then fled........... I wrote up the estimate.......... $5,025

there is video (crappy video but video) and the police were at this hit and run drivers house when he arrived home, saw the police and floored it, police chase ensued where he crashed his truck and ended up in jail anyways.but he claims he didn't hit any motorcycles (why did you flee then?)

anyways.......... H2 SX-SE takes a one off brake lever, only bike in the world it fits, and yup.......... there isn't one anywhere in the world and it will be 4-6 weeks before he sees that.......... so now 2 of his 13 bikes are in need of major work, about 6 of them he has not ridden in more than a decade,
so his choices to ride now........
a 1989 GL1500 Goldwing that runs but not super good since it sits alot and needs the carbs cleaned
or his purple 1980's 52hp Harley

I guess he will be riding the Hardley for the rest of the season........
Just money pouring out his ass

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Is this for an airbag suit?
That is the Tech Air 5 airbag jacket.......... says can be worn under any garmet that leaves atleast golf ball diameter of room, but my plan is have a suit made with all the stretch panels like all the tech air compatible stuff and not need to leave that golf ball (1.6") of slop in the jacket and shoulders
but still have a little free play for when I wear a sweatshirt in the early spring and late fall riding (or like today when it is 45* is all....)

I contemplated long over getting the Tech Air street or the Tech Air 5 before deciding on the Tech Air 5.... I am hoping to not regret the decision, but I do not think I will..... and saving the $150 and applying that towards some add ons to the suit (stingray sliders on forearms, shoulders and hips) should be a good trade.....

The Tech Air race/street was an option too, but at nearly $500 more just for the option to switch between track and street didn't seem worth it to me.......... Now hopefully when I do host trackday events events, the max braking I sometimes do won't set of the street only algorithym and deploy the airbag seeing super fast decelleration.... I rarely run laps at even close to max pace anymore, so I am not really that worried, but I guess I will find out......
A* did confirm they would apply my purchase towards a new race/street version if I have problems but also stated they plan to have new software updates in January for this Tech Air 5 to be track compatible.......... so should be a total non issue

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
Just money pouring out his ass
he spends it on the new purchases of bikes, but rarely spends it on anything post purchase, even his fricking helmet has a 2006 production date......ugh and he wears tennis shoes and jeans instead of good boots and leather pants to go with his 20+ yr old jacket and kind of lame gloves with little protection.... (if/when he does crash- I know he is going to get serious rash, he has been far too lucky for far too long)

Speaking of luck...he claims he was going 167mph on his H2 and caught up to a state patrol and was only issued a warning ticket............ I call BULLSHIT!

Reactions: laggy311

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
he spends it on the new purchases of bikes, but rarely spends it on anything post purchase, even his fricking helmet has a 2006 production date......ugh and he wears tennis shoes and jeans instead of good boots and leather pants to go with his 20+ yr old jacket and kind of lame gloves with little protection.... (if/when he does crash- I know he is going to get serious rash, he has been far too lucky for far too long)

Speaking of luck...he claims he was going 167mph on his H2 and caught up to a state patrol and was only issued a warning ticket............ I call BULLSHIT!
That’s bs. Btw, up here in Spokane and Coeur D’Alene it’s a mix of ATTGATT guys and dudes with helmets, but shorts and sneakers. Never seen so many guys that don’t even wear boots and jeans. Smh.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
12,567 Posts
That is the Tech Air 5 airbag jacket.......... says can be worn under any garmet that leaves atleast golf ball diameter of room, but my plan is have a suit made with all the stretch panels like all the tech air compatible stuff and not need to leave that golf ball (1.6") of slop in the jacket and shoulders
but still have a little free play for when I wear a sweatshirt in the early spring and late fall riding (or like today when it is 45* is all....)

I contemplated long over getting the Tech Air street or the Tech Air 5 before deciding on the Tech Air 5.... I am hoping to not regret the decision, but I do not think I will..... and saving the $150 and applying that towards some add ons to the suit (stingray sliders on forearms, shoulders and hips) should be a good trade.....

The Tech Air race/street was an option too, but at nearly $500 more just for the option to switch between track and street didn't seem worth it to me.......... Now hopefully when I do host trackday events events, the max braking I sometimes do won't set of the street only algorithym and deploy the airbag seeing super fast decelleration.... I rarely run laps at even close to max pace anymore, so I am not really that worried, but I guess I will find out......
A* did confirm they would apply my purchase towards a new race/street version if I have problems but also stated they plan to have new software updates in January for this Tech Air 5 to be track compatible.......... so should be a total non issue
So wait. The suit can be programmed? I think I’m seeing. The air gear is under layers? Honestly, even with the compatible suit, if I was racing and or canyoning a lot, a $3-$4k for the right setup is not a lot for that kind of potential protection.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
So wait. The suit can be programmed? I think I’m seeing. The air gear is under layers? Honestly, even with the compatible suit, if I was racing and or canyoning a lot, a $3-$4k for the right setup is not a lot for that kind of potential protection.

It has 6 sensors in the back protector with the 2 CO2 cartridges to deploy the airbag.....

But yes it is programmable and you can track your travels, so like when I go out riding a 500 mile day I can later look at exactly where I rode, how fast I rode in each corner etc...... (yep- another way for the "man" to track my movements......or look at this "tech" to issue me tickets?)

Hey on a plus note, my guage cover for my instrument cluster has finally come off of backorder and has been shipped from Japan, expected arrival date is 2 weeks......... there are still 3 other pieces on backorder with no ship dates yet.... fucking ay, having a 13 yr old discontinued bike that they did not sell many of anyways isn't ideal.......... this is exactly why I got rid of my last bike...oe parts just got too hard and too long to get

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
508 Posts
Glad to see you are doing well, airbag suit is nice. I've contemplated getting one a number of times. Since I have been doing long solo trips got a Garmin InReach Mini that I keep in my jacket pocket as well as an older SPOT. SPOT is nice as I can send "I'm OK" messages with my location to my wife. InReach Mini has a bluetooth connection to the phone and can send txt messages composed on the phone.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
A little update since I was able to get the R1 engine out and head off............. I am not going to speculate on what broke first, but the single valve spring being broken does sound some alarm bells

better view of just how cracked the head is where those parts made valiant attempts to escape the inside of the running engine

the piston top, the valve never actually fell out of the guide, so "just" piston damage

the inside view of the head where those parts pounded hard tryng to escape

the valve guide...... yes, about half of it broke off and was trapped inside the broken valve spring

the broken valve spring and the squished flat retaining clips and the broken up retaining washer was retrieved

still have the whole lower half to disassemble...........

head, $1400
valve springs are $115 each (and I absolutely would replace all 16.... $1850)
guide seals, and all the gaskets and seals and new rings and a piston and of course new crank and rod bearings, oil pump etc.......... approx another $1200

So minimum is $4500 in parts and then of course atleast $1500 in labor, maybe more..........

or.......... there is a complete engine with reported 2600 miles on it for sale for $4800
............. there is a (appears to be good head complete) with reported 17,000 miles on it for $480

If it were mine I would buy the used head and then the rest new parts and put it all back together (saving about $3000) of course tear down head and inspect, clean and make sure it is all gtg....

But he is looking at yet a 3rd option......... apparently copart (crashed toyz) has a few 15-20 R1's up for auction and 1 of them out in Portland only has a bid of $125 currently (we all know it will go up, way up before it actually sells) another one in Atlanta is @ $775 and bidding ends this weekend (front end completely torn off this one, so going to be atough transport sans forklift useage) or a 2018 currently @ $5400 with only cosmetic damage

anyways.......

On his H2, the hit and run driver admitted fault to his insurance company yesterday after police showed him the video of him hitting the motorcycles, so apparently this guy is getting a check today for the whole $5,025 of the estimate when the adjuster stops by his house to take a peek at it...... (or atleast that is his hope)
So he can bring that straight to me for deposit on fixing his R1..... and to order some parts for his H2........lol
I guess that driver had full coverage but no license, thus his fleeing instead of simply turning into his driveway when the police were there waiting for him....fucking dumbass

Attachments

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
A further update.........

So I got measured via a tailor for my new Airbag compatible custom suit..........

lets start with saying I was disgusted and disappointed with my measurements......... I am like a box nowdays from chest, belly, waist and hips all being within 2" of each other ugh......... my last custom suit (still have the measurements) I was a awesome chisseled "V", chest was 8" more than waist
but the biggest change in 15 years...... biceps........... fuck, 17.5 inches back in 2004 and now only a puny 13.75 inches..... fucking a, I need to start working out again............
I laughed though........ I wear 33" waist jeans daily but somehow my waist measurement is 41", sure I had on my padded riding shorts, but fuck me........... are the pants companies just lying to everyone to make them feel good about themselves????
I feel like such a fatass now.....

anyways............

With Air tech 5 on my chest is 2.6" more circumference than without and my belly is 1.25" more and that is not deployed of course......

fyi and the Air tech 5 weighs in at 7 lbs x ounces........ I defintely feel the weight just standing wearing it, and it got hot inside with the guy taking like 25 minutes to take all measurements
hopefully that weight goes away in riding poisition and a suit over it, and even more hopefully air can flow through it when moving becasue it was warm...............

I sent off my measurements and a couple of body profile pics (yep, ugly) and then a couple of suit design renderings, plus all the details I require in the suit........... We'll see how long before they stop laughing and get back to me with an actual quote and real design layout drawings etc.......and maybe most importantly a timeline and price.... Bulgary made at one place, US made (supposedly) at another........... lets see how that stacks up for pricing, timeline and how quickly they respond.....

Plus Racing, Ashton 2 piece, is where I am leaning though, with every add on option they list and then a few more
799 base suit, all the options add about 400, my add ons will easily add several hundred more I bet

But we'll see if the "US made" is even actually made in the US, I sent them a request on their US made more than a week ago and still no reply, I sent them the exact same email Sunday night I sent to Plus to see if they reply to that....

not looking like good customer service thus far on this "us made".likely not us made at all and they threw away my contact information when I asked for proof of "us made"... like where in the US and can I visit the factory and look at the products first hand and do all measurements and design etc while there.....

701 - 720 of 728 Posts