Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking at exhaust systems. Its kinda hard to tell how each of them all sound and how loud they are on YouTube with everyone using different camera phones, using those inaccurate decible meter apps, having the camera at different distances, distortion, hearing through laptop speakers, etc... I was thinking if maybe we could gather a list, sure it would be a short list since there aren't as many exhaust options for this new bike yet, and have them in order from loudest to quietest. I believe I'm going to be purchasing an Akropovic Slip-On with a Pine box mid-pipe. I want something loud, but not sure if I really want the absolute loudest system. Not sure if the setup I'm after will be too loud or not.

So to list the slip-on or full-systems, if you have the actual dB listing, then throw that in there too. Not sure if this thread will go very far. Most people around here get the same Two-Brothers slip-on. If anyone knows of any other exhaust configurations to add into the mix, throw them in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
M4 with baffle is loud but get use to it. Have heard a 2 Bro and its the same loudness imo. The displacement of the 599 / 636 hardly makes the exhaust any different sounding.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Super street bike magazine done a slip on shootout on a zx6r about a year and a half ago. They included db readings. I have a jardine rt5 and it's just perfect on my 2011.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Well it's not quietest to loudest but these 2 threads list most of the exhausts available for your bike and offer many opinions, you can make your decision from there. Honestly though you are splitting hairs to me and sound/volume is so subjective you will get a different opinion from everyone you ask. In the end of ends it's just an exhaust bro pick one.

http://zx6r.com/zx6r/18926-09-exhaust-options.html

http://zx6r.com/zx6r/38486-2013-636-exhaust-options.html

...and I didn't even say anything about not searching.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went from a 2bros to a yoshi rs4 with a pinebox mid pipe. The yoshi is a hell of a lot quieter to me on the bike, it does sit further back behind you though. Idle is quiet and revving is only loud above 8k. I don't see the akra being too loud, and I believe it has a removable baffle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got the M4 full exhaust and at idle it measured at about 102 db - without baffle, and 98 db with the baffle that came with it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Most manufatures list the DB level of their slip ons and full exhaust systems on their websites. Have you researched any of them that way?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've got the Graves exhaust. It's not too loud at idle but really starts to scream when you get on it. Like someone else said, some manufacturers will list the db's.

Here's what graves says,

Stock Exhaust at Idle 84 db at 5000 rpm 88 db
Graves Slip-on without sound insert 96 db at 5000 rpm 106.5 db

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My M4 was loud ... made the bike very sluggish at low end RPM .. vance and hines was loud, not as loud as M4 though, but the bike ran smoother and didn't have as much sluggishness at lower RPM ...

My current pipe which is two bros ... I know some people like and hate the company .... This should be been the exhaust I went with from the start ... it looks amazing on the bike ... great angle, finish is awesome and makes the bike look so much better ..

Riding with two bros ... The bike for the most part remains extremely smooth ... my M4 cause the bike to vibrate a whole lot more which I found uncomfortable on long rides . I've noticed half the vibrations with this two bros pipe .. there's still some vibrations but it's not drastic ..

Bike power with two bros ... compared to what I felt with my M4 .. not near as much low end sluggishness with the two Bros pipe ..

Sound wise ... M4 was loud no doubt .. I never experienced the pipe with the baffle removed .. always had the stage 1 pipe in .. my buddy rolls around with a straight pipe M4 and it's Damn near mind blowing loud. Two brothers as it is out of the box, I would say is comparable in sound to the M4 with the stage 1 baffle in the pipe (how it comes out of the box) .. what I did notice yesterday after a 45 minute straight ride was my right ear was not in any pain, and no ringing when I got off the bike ... M4 I could tell because of the higher pitched tone made my ear hurt a lot more which cause some discomfort ... of course ear buds would help this but then you can't hear the pipe ! Lol

fitment two bros vs M4 .. my heel hit the top of the M4 pipe a lot when I was riding ... I didn't mind it wasn't a make or break type of thing .. With two brothers ... my heel is no where near hitting the top of the pipe .. and now that I have it like this I like it a lot more !! .. With the vance and hines pipe I never hit the pipe with my heel either because it was positioned a little farther back.

Well that's my long .02 on the pipes that I've used. I have to be honest ... Two brothers was the pipe of choice for me for my 2006 zx6r 636 ... it's is not my pipe of choice for my 2013 zx6r 636 :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey, there you are rkt14. Was hoping you would chime in. That was a very good write-up. I appreciate it.

I saw that Vance & Hines made an exhaust for these bikes. I have Vance & Hines on my V-Star 1300 and it get's pretty loud compared to the Cobra's that I put on a customer's Stryker. The Stryker has the same motor as my V-Star. I didn't know how well V&H would sound on a supersport since they are a cruiser exhaust company.

I know there is an Exhaust Option thread, and I have read through it. I was just hoping to get some comparisons. I know it's exhaust, but it's the single biggest thing to do to your bike to make it different. Unfortunately, I don't live in Dallas anymore, I live in bumfuk Enid, Oklahoma where most of our riders are cruiser guys. Hell, I have a ZX-14R sitting up front that I want to get rid of, but no one will bite. Alot of people told me, "Give me a call when you get it in! I'll buy it!" Whatever. LOL

I'm the kinda guy who likes to get something different than what everyone else get's. Like to kinda stand out.

Like I said, I'm not looking to throw on something that is the loudest, but if it has the inserts to make it from mild to wild, then awesome. I want it loud, but still enjoyable, ya know? Don't want it to hurt the ears to the point to where it doesn't sound good also.

I was also hoping to kinda piece this together so this can be thrown into the Exhaust Option thread in order for people, not just for myself. I'm going to do that. I got some data to disect here now. Thanks guys! I'm glad I switched over from sportbike.net and ZXForums.com. You all are alot nicer over here, even though I didn't get that hassled. Just saw alot of it. Safe riding my friends. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did some searching on the net recently and I thought I had came to the conclusion that an Akropovic system was on the louder end of the spectum than on the quieter end... From what one person said, this is not the case? I was thinking of going with an Akropovic with a pinebox midpipe

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did some searching on the net recently and I thought I had came to the conclusion that an Akropovic system was on the louder end of the spectum than on the quieter end... From what one person said, this is not the case? I was thinking of going with an Akropovic with a pinebox midpipe
akra/leo vince are both on the quieter side. The link pipe will increase the sound levels however.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts