Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newbie to legal road using and after searching the internet and reading 100's of views...........

Is using a black visor breaking the law? Ok i was told by my direct access instructor that no more than 25% tint is ok.

I have been reading LOTS of views and some say black is ok in daylight by most police and only clear at nighttime or nightfall.

Othere say just owning a 25%+ tint visor is committing a offence.

Sorry if this is not the place to ask, just say.
Dougie

·
Registered
390 Posts
In Malta you can wear whatever you like !! But be carefull cause if it's to tint ,in the night its a little bit difficult to see especially in a tunnel !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
as long as its EC approved then any tint is legal during the day; but as stated a clear one is a must in dark/dull conditions. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
as long as its EC approved then any tint is legal during the day; but as stated a clear one is a must in dark/dull conditions. :)

Not exactly true but near enough

If your visor blocks out more than a certain amount of light then it is illegal, police check with a meter, they wont do you but will make you remove the visor before they let you get on your way.
You can wear dark sunglasses under a clear visor but a black one is illegal :O

EYE AND FACE PROTECTION

Any motorcyclist who has been hit in the face by a stone or an insect while riding can tell you about the benefits of face protection.

Windshields and eyeglasses do not provide adequate face and eye protection. Wind, insects and pebbles may be blown behind a windshield.

Eyeglasses with shatterproof lenses may protect the eyes, but most don't seal out the wind which makes your eyes water.

Reports have shown that motorcycle riders with shields covering their faces suffered a lot less facial injuries than those without and that helmets providing full-face coverage with strong chin pieces and energy-absorbing liners are especially effective in reducing face injuries.

Any visor (or goggles) sold for motorcycle use must have been tested to BSI or its European equivalent standards. BS 4110 or ECE 22-05 are the standards and the visor should have this standard etched upon it or on a sticker attatched to the visor. Visors must be able to transmit at least 50% light. Deeply tinted visors, which will not have a mark of approval, are illegal in this country (UK).

It's important to keep your visor or goggles clean using warm, soapy water and NOT solvents or petrol. If they become badly scratched renew them.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_507622.pdf

·
Registered
503 Posts
Basically, wear a dark one BUT CARRY A CLEAR ONE!!!!!! You may still get pulled by pc plod but he should let you off if you say you have the clear visor for sudden changes in weather or for longer rides that go into evenings.

p.s. I HAVE NEVER BEEN PULLED!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see i got a nice shiny new Arai to mach my bike, it comes with a totally clear as normal. The shop gave me a almost 100% black visor for next to nothing if i bought too compined.

Even got a arai case for the spare visor too.

So im planning (after passing test) to wear black and have the clear one as spare, trouble is where to put it on the bike when not in use?!?!

·
Registered
66 Posts
those visor bags you get from demon tweeks are good you can slot them in your leathers to carry a spare?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats cos we take the P out of everyone that has them
i like the way you make this statement after making the sudgestion...:rotfl

why not get a bumbag so we can all laff at you ... haha priceless:laugh

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was reading a new-ish issue of one of my bike magazines, think it was BIKE and it said that the police have adopted a new policy in which they won't prosecute for tinted visors of any kind during the day and they won't prosecute on small number plates as long as they're readable at 20m. Don't know how accurate or how long they been doing it but I got stopped twice on my daytona (2005) for speeding, both times I had my tinted visor in, a tiny number plate and a message on my exhaust saying 'This Is Not For Road Use' and both times nothing was mentioned about any of those things, all they seemed interested in was doing me over for speeding and the second time they gave my bike a proper inspecton! :banghead

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good good, so looks like when i pass (fingers crossed) on the 20th, ill be changing to the black visor and keeping the clear as a spare in its case.

I was wondering about small number plates and lould exhausts, do they collect licence points in the uk cos im on 6 at the moment and getting done for visor, number plate and exhaust or even two of these would be the end for my licence and job. Pluss speeding too of course! :-(

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you've got 6 points now, I would stay as legal as possible.They CAN do you for the visor,exhaust,number plate so weigh up if it's worth taking the chance or not.

You do know that if you get 6 points or more in the first 2 years on your motorcycle you lose your licence and revert back to a provisional
plus with you already having 6 means you would be banned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is that 6points within first 2year is a ban?, i know my exhaust is very lould, maybe ill leave the number plate change to smaller one this year and the visor can wait in shed till next year too then.

I got two SP30,(speeding) 3points each June 2005 and July 2005 so ill keep as legal as possible untill next year when the 6points come off end of summer.

Only mods i think i have is the headlights both come on with high and low beam, crash bobbins, upgraded exhaust. I have the smaller plate to put on and the black visor but as said ill wait till next year maybe.

Anything else i need to be aware illegal on uk roads Nijusho51?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts