Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been slowly getting things together to hopefully one day finally get a track day in. I bought a One piece A star suit(GP pro) the upper half of the suit fits snug but not tight, the lower half of the suit is lose around the legs and with no boots on the chin CE pads sit below my knee, however with boots they sit in place( I am about 5'8, weight around 165-170, athletic build) . I attempted to buy a two piece suit however all the pants that I should be wearing according to Alpine don't fit well lol.

For you season pros out there what are things you look for when wearing a suit?:devious
what advice can you give guys like me, that are trying to make it to a track day.
For example should all padding be in places its design to be when you try the suit on with no boots, no under armor of any sorts(like hip padding or back protector)?
what brands do you fellas/gals are partial to?:O

I apologize in advance here if this sorta question has been ask already, and if not lets engage in a conversation about general rules of thumb.
thanks for reading, cheers.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
For you season pros out there what are things you look for when wearing a suit?:devious
what advice can you give guys like me, that are trying to make it to a track day.
For example should all padding be in places its design to be when you try the suit on with no boots, no under armor of any sorts(like hip padding or back protector)?
what brands do you fellas/gals are partial to?:O

I'm not a seasoned pro, but it doesn't matter if the legs are short at the ankles as long as they tuck into the boots when your feet are on the pegs.

Ideally, your suit should be snug everywhere. If it's not in the rear end, I would buy some armored shorts. I'm not a fan of the BILT brand, but they do make some good armored shorts for pretty cheap. They will fill out the suit and will add more protection.

You must buy a back protector. I like the Dainese Manis, but there are a bunch of good protectors out there. I wear a Dainese chest protector when I'm skinny, but added a few lbs and having a hard time breathing these days when I'm wearing it.

Manis back protector (note: they have an older version of the manis for a pretty good price):

Dainese Manis D1 Back Protector - RevZilla

Chest protector:

Dainese L2 Chest Protector - RevZilla

Armored shorts:

BILT ARMA - Dominator CE Armored Shorts - Bottoms - Base Layers - Off-Road - Cycle Gear

jimundascores

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
We are about the same build, but you have about 15-20 lbs on me; which I imagine is mostly in the upper body. I wear an Alpinestars (RC-1) suit in size 40.

Overall, the fitment is great in the upper body which includes wearing chest plates and back protector -- not too loose or snug (I do wish the sleeves were a little bit longer). In contrast, I have a size 38 leather jacket that is extremely tight with or without chest/back protection.

Like you, I find the legs to be a bit loose as if they were a size too big. If you were to go to a size 42, you probably wouldn't be comfortable at all. I usually tend to pull the legs "up" a bit to make sure they're placed correctly over my knee and then tighten my boots. Also, the fitment around my waste seems to be fine, though.

As far as track usage, a lot of that really depends on the org you plan to ride with. Some orgs will allow a two piece whereas others will not. Most require a back protector, and even if they don't - wear it anyways. It's just another of the do's you should do.

Keep in mind that most suits are designed to fit while on the bike, not off / standing / walking.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Keep in mind that most suits are designed to fit while on the bike, not off / standing / walking.
This +1

If possible when trying on the suit, get on a bike and see how it fits while on the bike. My local shop keeps a bike in the show room just for this purpose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You definitely want to test the fit on the bike since that is where it is designed to be used. If you can do jumping jacks and run easily then its the wrong size. Once you are on the bike the knee armor should move into place for you though since your knee's will be bent. Like others have said it should be snug and if you have baggy areas try some armored shorts, or other protectors to take up some of the room. As long as it is not restricting your normal movements while you are on the bike (moving your knee out, bending your arms, breathing) then the fit is good and if you feel a little resistance it should break in over time and use.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get some double sided velcro and make a cinch for above and below knee. Im same as you and gave up trying to find name brand stuff, cheap, that fit me. I use the velcro everyday for my street gear, and its almost as good as wearing sleeved armor.

By the way, you can get sleeved or strap on armor for a perfect fit. Or buy some velcro for 5 bucks. Or buy off brand leathers that custom fit you, and are roughly same quality for lower price.

Really though, you should look at an airbag vest. Its significantly more chest and back protection than any back pad or chest pad (not saying dont buy both), and they also protect your NECK, sides, and some even tailbone and ass.

Also, 200$ is a lot for a back protector. Here is a good CE 2 for 100$. Put the 100 you saved towards an airbag:
Tryonic See+ Back Protector - RevZilla

·
Registered
863 Posts
My local track (New York Safety Track) allows for use of a 2pc suit...so instead of spending $800 on a suit I'm going to go with a $400 pair of pants that zip up with my existing A* jacket. I rented a one piece when I did my one and only track day last year and just wasn't a fan of the whole one piece thing...removing the jacket completely will be wonderful.

As others have said, the suits don't feel all that great when not on the bike so don't assume that because of that it's not a good fit.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
From the department of redundancy, I bring you this:

Your suit will not feel 'right' until you are on your bike in a riding position. It is ok that your arms/legs do not go all the way down. That is what gloves/boots are for.

You should wear a back protector (required at most tracks) and then get onto your bike in a tuck and see how it feels. It generally tightens up the butt/legs area when you do this which is why it may feel a little loose when standing.

A good, well-fitting suit will have you with your arms slightly bent and pressure pulling slightly down on your shoulders when standing. When you get on a bike into a riding position it should feel like a comfortable glove.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm a V shape so off-the-rack suits that fit my upper body are always dumpy in the rear. As mentioned above I wear Armor Shorts from both Knox and Forcefield which take up most of the excess and protect my hips and tail bone better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another option to consider is custom made suits. I have been sponsored by Pilot USA for two seasons and currently have two suits custom measured to fit by them.. the prices aren't far off from off the rack and they also let you put all your fancy sponsors on them

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm 6' 185lb and 44 US fits me snug in the legs but loose up top. That is while standing but it's really important to not have looseness up top. I didnt realize that at first and wind was getting in the suit through my back and making it flap around. I noticed that when i forgot my back protector so I put that in and starting wearing a chest protector so now the suit is perfect.

Who else wears a chest protector? I've noticed a lot of guys don't wear them.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I'm 6' 185lb and 44 US fits me snug in the legs but loose up top. That is while standing but it's really important to not have looseness up top. I didnt realize that at first and wind was getting in the suit through my back and making it flap around. I noticed that when i forgot my back protector so I put that in and starting wearing a chest protector so now the suit is perfect.

Who else wears a chest protector? I've noticed a lot of guys don't wear them.
I use this chest protector. No issue fitting it into my leathers.
Impact Safe-T Armor..body protectors for sport

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like Reno said - A custom fitting suit is the best way. Few people fit into an off-the-shelf suit and has it fit them perfectly. A custom suit takes care of all you "weird" body shapes, tall, short, skinny, pudgy, short arms, long legs, etc (I'm sure you get the idea).

I'm currently using a One-X suit, great quality, awesome fit, and great price, and fully customizable (Sizing and full design with sponsors, logos, etc). Made and shipped to your door in <30days too.

https://www.facebook.com/onexsuit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts