Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after reading up and catching up on many threads in this forum, which is great BTW, it didnt take me long to learn some new terminology. I.E. Squid. Kind of funny because in Philadelphia I would see them all the time but never knew there was a term to call them.

Here in Philadelphia you don't need to wear a helmet, you would be shocked to see how crazy it is once the weather gets a little warmer and the amount of dirt bikes and riders on public streets with shorts, t-shirts, no helmets, etc. The worst is when I see a group of kids, yes kids, around 13-17 riding dirt bikes down a busy road in heavy traffic doing wheelies. Scares the crap out of me when I'm driving behind them.

As a new rider the first thing, other then the bike of course, that I purchased was a helmet and gloves. Helmet was more for common sense purposes, even though its legal to ride without one here, and the gloves because of comfort, but after reading through the forums I can tell that they serve a bigger purpose. However, one thing that I do not have is a jacket. I ride normally with a sweatshirt and layers underneath.

If anyone knows of a website that offers jackets for a reasonable price please let me know. Also from what I understand is that a Squid is a person showboating without wearing protective gear. Am I right? Does not wearing a jacket count? Last thing I want to have a picture placed on this forum as the new Squid in town, lol. Seriously though, I think my next thing on my list to buy will be a jacket.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and posts in this forum. They truly help tremendously, especially to new riders.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Its really a no brainer. For anyone who doesnt understand why most intelligent folk wear jackets gloves boots helmet. Is the simple fact that skin bones brains dont hold up and or are not designed to withstand concrete. Pure and simple. For anyone needing proof. I challenge them to get into the car, get it up to about 30 miles an hour. This is plenty. Open the driver door a drag a hand on the road. Dont wear gear because someone said. Wear it because well....its a no brainer. Squid/dumbass or whatever........its just a title for someone who well has no brains.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well, after reading up and catching up on many threads in this forum, which is great BTW, it didnt take me long to learn some new terminology. I.E. Squid. Kind of funny because in Philadelphia I would see them all the time but never knew there was a term to call them.

Here in Philadelphia you don't need to wear a helmet, you would be shocked to see how crazy it is once the weather gets a little warmer and the amount of dirt bikes and riders on public streets with shorts, t-shirts, no helmets, etc. The worst is when I see a group of kids, yes kids, around 13-17 riding dirt bikes down a busy road in heavy traffic doing wheelies. Scares the crap out of me when I'm driving behind them.

As a new rider the first thing, other then the bike of course, that I purchased was a helmet and gloves. Helmet was more for common sense purposes, even though its legal to ride without one here, and the gloves because of comfort, but after reading through the forums I can tell that they serve a bigger purpose. However, one thing that I do not have is a jacket. I ride normally with a sweatshirt and layers underneath.

If anyone knows of a website that offers jackets for a reasonable price please let me know. Also from what I understand is that a Squid is a person showboating without wearing protective gear. Am I right? Does not wearing a jacket count? Last thing I want to have a picture placed on this forum as the new Squid in town, lol. Seriously though, I think my next thing on my list to buy will be a jacket.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and posts in this forum. They truly help tremendously, especially to new riders.
In terms of the meaning of "squid" the finer details can vary from person to person, but the general consensus is people who ride undergeared or ungeared and do things like stunt in the streets (or try to).

For places that offer good priced jackets, sportbiketrackgear.com is the best. Go through their phone reps rather than ordering online because they can usually discount items over website pricing. Some things to bear in mind with jackets:

1. Leather is more protective, but textile is cheaper and generally good for a wider range of temperatures/weather conditions. A leather jacket, depending on venting provisions, is usually only comfortable for a 20-30 degree range of temperatures, while a good textile jacket can take you from near-freezing all the way up to 80-85 degree temperatures. Again, you're sacrificing a degree of protection for that much versatility though.

2. Spend the maximum you can afford to spend. Although there are some brands that are exceptions (AGV Sport and Cortech offer much higher quality than you would expect for being priced at the budget end of the spectrum), you generally get what you pay for.

3. A good pair of riding boots is just as important as the jacket. Strongly recommend getting a pair that takes you as close to racing levels of protection without compromising your ability to walk comfortably in the boots. A good example of this is the Alpinestars SMX-5, the Sidi Cobra, or the TCX S-Zero.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Squid (via UrbanDictionary) - A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

Around here (zx6r.com) it seems that if you wear a t-shirt, no helmet, or drive a GSXR you're a squid. Basically if you are not using common sense in regards to your safety.

Ultimate Squid = GSXR, flip flops, shorts, cut-off, no helmet, while doing wheelie with ugly girl in bikini on the back.

For jackets Craigslist isn't a bad place to look. There's tons of off-color stuff so you just have to keep an eye out for something nice.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a size 44US Joe rocket Yellow and Black leather riding jacket with soft padding in the shoulders and elbows/forearms.... I will scrape up pics if you are interested. I'd be willing to part with it dirt cheap. I'd rather see it protect some skin than watch it sit on a shelf. I haven't worn it in probably a few years.

EDIT:::
*UPLOADED PICS*

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately its too small for me, I think I might need a XXL, but thanks for the offer. U rock!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Unfortunately its too small for me, I think I might need a XXL, but thanks for the offer. U rock!
Check Craigslist. I just sold a Fly Butane XXL for $50 on there and quickly bought an almost brand new Alpinestars for $120 (which I saw hanging on the retail rack for $250 2 days ago).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
No problem. I'm always willing to help when I can. I would have basically given it to you for a twelve pack of beer and shipping. Hahaha.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a Scorpion Leather jacket in size 2XL I've been looking to get rid of. However I'm reluctant to try to send it through the mail because wouldn't shipping be a ton trying to send it FedEx or USPS?

It's the All-In leather jacket. It has minimal venting and is, IMO, only suitable for Spring/Fall weather.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have a Scorpion Leather jacket in size 2XL I've been looking to get rid of. However I'm reluctant to try to send it through the mail because wouldn't shipping be a ton trying to send it FedEx or USPS?

It's the All-In leather jacket. It has minimal venting and is, IMO, only suitable for Spring/Fall weather.
Just ride over from Pittsburgh and drop it off :laugh

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a size 44US Joe rocket Yellow and Black leather riding jacket with soft padding in the shoulders and elbows/forearms.... I will scrape up pics if you are interested. I'd be willing to part with it dirt cheap. I'd rather see it protect some skin than watch it sit on a shelf. I haven't worn it in probably a few years.

EDIT:::
*UPLOADED PICS*
The girl looks like someone I know...

FedEx Ground for 5lbs from Pitt to Philly is $10-12 and a 1 day shipment.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I just sent out some of my old textbooks via usps probably 15 lbs. and it was only 9 dollars for standard shipping. They were in a box that could fit a jacket or helmet, I was worried it would be way more but you'd be surprised.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know why someone would ever ride without a helmet. The insects alone is enough to make wear a helmet. Catching a bumblebee in the forehead at 60mph can't feel good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bro, if you are from Philly haven't you ever heard of RevZilla! They have some stores in the Philly area. They are one of the largest retailers of motorcycle gear on the internet. I am originally from South Jersey, so I know the Philly area pretty well. I highly recommend you check out RevZilla.com or just stop by one of their stores in the Philly area. I get all of my riding gear and accessories from them. You are lucky, since you can stop in one of their stores to try things on before making a purchase. Remember, get your riding gear first. The other stuff can wait(i.e. after market muffler, integrated tail light, new wind shield, etc..).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bro, if you are from Philly haven't you ever heard of RevZilla! They have some stores in the Philly area. They are one of the largest retailers of motorcycle gear on the internet. I am originally from South Jersey, so I know the Philly area pretty well. I highly recommend you check out RevZilla.com or just stop by one of their stores in the Philly area. I get all of my riding gear and accessories from them. You are lucky, since you can stop in one of their stores to try things on before making a purchase. Remember, get your riding gear first. The other stuff can wait(i.e. after market muffler, integrated tail light, new wind shield, etc..).
I was able to pick up a jacket at a good cost, I'm officially able to ride :) Thanks for sharing the site, I'll check it out today.

Philly also has Cycle Works which is great to meet up and ask questions. Especially new riders, like myself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
motorcyclesuperstore.com is pretty good if you can get it on sale or closeout. i got a new scorpion exo400 helmet for 30 bucks on there because the color was discontinued.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts