Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ZX6R G2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title really, my accident damaged G2 needs new indicators on the rear, ive got some LED units here from another project but they are scrolling LED type

they flash themselves, not relay controlled...how would i go about sorting the relay on the bike to accomodate these?

thanks all

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
If I understand your question, you need to replace the flasher unit for one that works with LED.

·
Registered
470 Posts
RJ, I think he is saying the signals have a flasher built in and only need power applied to flash on their own. In that case I think you would replace the flasher relay with a relay that simply applies 12V when the signal button is activated, but I am not an electrical guy and may be wrong on that.

Mark

·
Registered
1999 ZX6R G2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RJ, I think he is saying the signals have a flasher built in and only need power applied to flash on their own. In that case I think you would replace the flasher relay with a relay that simply applies 12V when the signal button is activated, but I am not an electrical guy and may be wrong on that.

Mark
thats exactly them mate, they are an upgrade for a ducati (cant remember which model) they have an onboard circuit board which controls the indication, the yellow light scrolls across...they are really nice

dont want to wire them to the bike incase i cause a massive electrical issue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
thats exactly them mate, they are an upgrade for a ducati (cant remember which model) they have an onboard circuit board which controls the indication, the yellow light scrolls across...they are really nice

dont want to wire them to the bike incase i cause a massive electrical issue :rolleyes:
You need to know a number of points of connection… +12 vdc, -12 vdc, ground, and the triggering inputs for the directionals.

Are the front indicators still OEM?

If you can get that sorted before you go near the bike, you will drastically reduce the chances of a mischief.

Running separate wiring from the fuse block, using the same +/- as the tail light is on now, would ensure your alternate indicator assembly only gets power when the tail light wou

·
Registered
1999 ZX6R G2
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to know a number of points of connection… +12 vdc, -12 vdc, ground, and the triggering inputs for the directionals.

Are the front indicators still OEM?

If you can get that sorted before you go near the bike, you will drastically reduce the chances of a mischief.

Running separate wiring from the fuse block, using the same +/- as the tail light is on now, would ensure your alternate indicator assembly only gets power when the tail light wou
Yeah everything is OEM on the bike, gonna get a wiring diargram this weekend and sink my teeth into it

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Yeah everything is OEM on the bike, gonna get a wiring diargram this weekend and sink my teeth into it
If you add led signals at the back, without any other modifications, the blinking rate is quite likely to increase drastically.

The front and rear indicator bulbs are wired in parallel on each side (left pair or right pair), which provides a known amount of resistance to the OEM flasher unit. The flasher is a simple device which conducts current until the armature gets hot, which causes the armature to bend (two different metal strips riveted together that expand at different rates)…. When the armature’breaks’ the circuit that stops current flow and shuts off the indicator bulbs until the armature cools off and straightens out, making contact and relighting the bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts