Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of my led upgrade. I replaced both halogen h9 and h11 with 7800 lumen combined led bulbs. Stock lumens is approximately 4000 lumens. I just can't decide if I want my marker lights to be white led or blue led. I want to be noticed by cars... Not sure if the blue helps me be noticed more than the white. Includes are pics....

the first picture is all stock

the second picture the left looking at the photo is stock marker light the right is the super white LED marker light

the third photo one of the marker lights is blue LED the other is super white LED

the fourth photo the high beam is the LED headlight bulb the low beam is the stock halogen bulb

The final photo is both headlights with LED bulbs in both accessory lights with an LED bulb I don't know if I want the blue or the super white

What do you all think? I want to be noticed by cars to prevent a car from pulling out in front of me I drive to work at night so headlights are important for lighting up everything around me but the accessory lights are only to get the attention of somebody driving so they can notice me better

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Keep the LED headlights for sure.

The blinker color is up to u. White is probably slightly more noticeable because its brighter but theyre both alright.
Check legality as well. Here in Texas, the only colors you can have for accent lights are white, and amber. Not that many cops care, but no reason to give them a reason to pull you over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Keep the LED headlights for sure.

The blinker color is up to u. White is probably slightly more noticeable because its brighter but theyre both alright.
Check legality as well. Here in Texas, the only colors you can have for accent lights are white, and amber. Not that many cops care, but no reason to give them a reason to pull you over.
Ny state vehicle and traffic law states Amber and white facing forward lights Only. The exceptions apply to responding vehicles, but he law states rotating lights, so it is a bit outdated. Rather than take the ticket, I replaced with the super white because during daylight hours, the blue was difficult to notice. The white does show during the day.

White. Looks good.... what LED did you go with for low and high? Link?
This is the second set of these lights I've ordered. I've used the h4 on my crf250l all summer, and it handles the shock ofoffroad. So far all good, no bouncing, no intermittent flickering. I've used cheap bulbs before that didn't mount proper or flickered.

Catinbow H11 (H8, H9) LED Headlight Bulbs 72W 7200LM Super Bright COB LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit 6000K Cool White Easy-installation Plug & Play Automotive Headlamp Bulb (2 Pack)
https://www.amazon.com/Catinbow-LED-Headlight-Easy-installation-Bulb/dp/B073JFJCBT#

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you still have stock OEM lenses/projectors? I'm really interested in upgrading mine but heard you need to have upgraded lenses because LED bulbs have different beam pattern or something like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do you still have stock OEM lenses/projectors? I'm really interested in upgrading mine but heard you need to have upgraded lenses because LED bulbs have different beam pattern or something like this.
I am using stock lenses. The pattern hasn't changed since the projector still focuses the light the same as stock. It's just brighter and more is visible at night. I don't notice the color, just the ability to see more and now the street signs are much more reflective. This is the second motorcycle I've used this upgrade kit on. My enduro has a reflector lamp, and that beam patter was also the same, just brighter.

You have no clearance issues? Usually the forks hit on those big alloy heatsinks on the back of the leds.

Can you post a pic of your bike with the forks on full turn?
I will get a pick with the bars turned all the way to lock. There is no clearance issues whatsoever.

I included a pic of the beam pattern from my crf250l.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am using stock lenses. The pattern hasn't changed since the projector still focuses the light the same as stock. It's just brighter and more is visible at night. I don't notice the color, just the ability to see more and now the street signs are much more reflective. This is the second motorcycle I've used this upgrade kit on. My enduro has a reflector lamp, and that beam patter was also the same, just brighter.
Wicked, thanks. Not happy with lights on 2014 model, even them fancy Osram Nighnbreakers +130% don't make much difference. Defo ordering set of LED's now. :BigGrin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wicked, thanks. Not happy with lights on 2014 model, even them fancy Osram Nighnbreakers +130% don't make much difference. Defo ordering set of LED's now.

In the past, I used the super white halogen. They worked better than stock. I used the hid upgrade kits from eBay. They were poor quality and eventually stopped working. I used the 100watt halogens, but they were hot and would melt the one housing. I was looking at led bulbs and heard led were longer lasting and shockproof and used less energy. I found brand name kits at $75 per bulb. Didn't trust ebay for poor reviews. Then found these catinbows on amazon. They are Chinese. They are marketed under many other names and sold for varying prices from $15 up to $100. I made my decision based on reviews. Sure glad I did. I'll never go back to halogen unless I absolutely have to temporarily. My one set I have 5,000 miles on off-road terrain and not one flicker or signs of issue. The zx6r is a 2009 model, and no clearance issues. So far a win. If not, $ I gambled on $27 for two bulbs. Cheaper than name brand halogens.

I'm using all white up front. I included a picture with one marker light as blue led just for reference as to the brightness difference of the white vs the blue. Just to note, during daylight hours, the blue was not noticeable to incoming traffic more than 100 foot, but the white led marker lights are visible as long as your looking at the bike head on, not from the side. The stock 5 watt bulbs were noticable, but they blended into the headlight and didn't stand out. (just My opinion) My goal was to be noticed to reduce other vehicles pulling out into my path.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That is close but not touching
!!!

Thanks for the pics!!

Anytime. I didn't realize how close I was in clearance until I took the pics

I went out and looked at my newly installed (2-wks) LED lights. I too, went with the white LED marker lights, as they provide better visibility.

Yes they are close, no they do NOT touch... but it's close.

I changed my weather guards for a set from an R1 that I had hanging around. They have the centre hole already in place, and stay attached better, too. And used the heavier gage Yamaha retaining wire, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Seems like the new led light designs, make the heatsinks smaller.Glad to see that, it was the reason for many not to install them.

Also, i wouldn't post my VIN on public forums, you don't know who may take advantage of it.

And last...my VIN has a sign in the beginning and in the end that yours doesn't. It's like the "=" sign but in an angle. I looked at other frames on ebay and their just like yours, strange.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts