Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow riders don't realize the outcome of an accident while wearing regular denim jeans (article):
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/why-wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-a-really-bad-idea/

A good friend of mine is currently producing a solution for the motorcycle denim jeans market. While I can't provide too much information, I can say that it will have the best ~proven~ impact, abrasion, burst, and tear resistance (included), fully lined protection, fashionable, comfortable, quality fabrics, while looking like normal denim jeans.

Feel free to sign up for future updates: Lean Angle Jeans or his twitter feed https://twitter.com/leananglejeans

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I'll follow this thread but I have to ask, how will they be different then motorcycle jeans already available that have kevlar reinforced areas, but no impact protection while maintaining the jean like feel and style?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll follow this thread but I have to ask, how will they be different then motorcycle jeans already available that have kevlar reinforced areas, but no impact protection while maintaining the jean like feel and style?
Like I said, cant divulge a lot, but I think riders will be pleasantly surprised when considering all the factors involved such as weight, comfort, style, protection, and price.

Thanks for signing up guys!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Signed up

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
166 Posts
Signed up to

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any idea when he'll be finished designing and testing the product? I'd be interested to see how they compare to normal motorcycle jeans as well as leather pants.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Magic.

Pew, pew.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I went to my first ride smart event last november and being a level 1 we got the full run down on various stats of riding. The part that's relevant to this thread was the drag capabilities of different types of clothing.

All of these stats are for sliding @ 50mph.

The worst possible denim you can be wearing during a slide is designer denim, you know the kind i'm talking about. At 50mph, the denim will last 3 feet before it burns through and you start rubbing skin on the ground.

The best possible denim (aside from specific riding jeans like draggin' brand) is worn regular denim. These would be your trusty pair of jeans that go a couple weeks without being washed. They'll last on average, at 50mph, 3-4 feet before burning through to skin.

Moral of the story is that before you call some idiot a squid for wearing shorts, unless your wearing competition grade leather (80 feet slide at 50mph), you're just as fucking stupid.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Any idea when he'll be finished designing and testing the product? I'd be interested to see how they compare to normal motorcycle jeans as well as leather pants.
Not entirely sure of specifics on timing and not in a place to give much away at this time as far as design. That being said, when compared to other current riding jeans using factors such as price, protection, comfort, and style, I think most riders will be very pleased.

Moral of the story is that before you call some idiot a squid for wearing shorts, unless your wearing competition grade leather (80 feet slide at 50mph), you're just as fucking stupid.
Not entirely true. A good pair of riding jeans wont save your skin due to some magical type of denim, they will save your skin due to the kevlar (or other similar material) refinforcement.

As you stated in your post, regardless of the brand of denim or the thickness of the denim, alone, it simply cant handle a high speed slide on pavement.

Comparing someones lower body who slid at 50mph in shorts to someone who slid at 50mph in a proper pair of riding jeans will quickly show who the squid is.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Ok so they look like regular jeans but how will they feel at the workplace. If they are more money than the ones on the market today I will probably pass.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so they look like regular jeans but how will they feel at the workplace. If they are more money than the ones on the market today I will probably pass.
I have never been one to care much about style, but like you, my current Draggin jeans look like conductor pants and I feel like an idiot wearing them at work. Not to mention, they arent the most comfortable things in the world.

As I stated earlier, its a bit early for me to reveal much about these new jeans, but I think most will be happy with the way they look as well as the protection they offer. Naturally price will be a big factor too, and I think this will be another strength

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not entirely true. A good pair of riding jeans wont save your skin due to some magical type of denim, they will save your skin due to the kevlar (or other similar material) refinforcement.
I agree completely, i'm saying that unless you're wearing jeans that were made specifically for riding and not flaunting your ass at the mall, most people are unaware that they are severely unprotected. Granted at a super low speed fall or slide (let's say less than 20mph, in the 5-20 range), i'd much rather be wearing long pants of ANY kind than shorts.

That being said, i'm interested to see what product you come up with, because as it was said earlier, the current versions of riding jeans don't look very cool at all. And i'd be hard pressed to put on my leather racing suit just for a quick trip to the store.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree completely, i'm saying that unless you're wearing jeans that were made specifically for riding and not flaunting your ass at the mall, most people are unaware that they are severely unprotected. Granted at a super low speed fall or slide (let's say less than 20mph, in the 5-20 range), i'd much rather be wearing long pants of ANY kind than shorts.

That being said, i'm interested to see what product you come up with, because as it was said earlier, the current versions of riding jeans don't look very cool at all. And i'd be hard pressed to put on my leather racing suit just for a quick trip to the store.
Totally agree, sorry I missed the underlying main point of your post. When you go down at speed, a pair of normal jeans wont do much for you. The link I included in my original post showed just that and had some pretty nasty pictures to boot!

I too own a sweet one piece suit, and nothing can touch the protection that offers, but using that for dailing commuting to work or a spirited weekend ride does sometime seem overboard.

Sign up for the updates and you will be kept in the loop with all new updates and product release dates.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts