Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any lap timer recommendations? I usually just throw my phone in the back of the bike with RaceChrono to know my record times. Looking into the Aim Solo 2 (user guide). 399$ is a bit steep though. :O. Worth it?

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
If you go the AiM route, get the DL version. A bit more, but it's an actual data logger. Or get an XT Racing GPX Pro, like the one I have. Try to find a good deal on a used online, and save yourself a bunch of money. These aren't things that wear out, so a used one is just as good as a new one (long as it works of course lol). I got my GPX Pro 8 for $450 shipped. Retail is like $780. Works awesome, I love it.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go the AiM route, get the DL version. A bit more, but it's an actual data logger. Or get an XT Racing GPX Pro, like the one I have. Try to find a good deal on a used online, and save yourself a bunch of money. These aren't things that wear out, so a used one is just as good as a new one (long as it works of course lol). I got my GPX Pro 8 for $450 shipped. Retail is like $780. Works awesome, I love it.
They don't have a harness available for zx6r's. :dowhat I wonder if they have a generic kit that taps into the harness.

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
They don't have a harness available for zx6r's. :dowhat I wonder if they have a generic kit that taps into the harness.
Which one?? The AiM solo DL or the XT Racing one?

I used my XT Racing on the ZX6R just fine, and on the R3. The wiring is universal, goes to any bike. I had 2 of them, one for the ZX6R and one for the R3 (and before the CBR500). I had the unit velcro'd to my tank, that way I could just unplug it and move it from one bike to the other whenever I wanted in just a few seconds. On the ZX6R I had it setup to read RPM, TPS and brake pressure after I bought a pressure sensor for it.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I used my XT Racing on the ZX6R just fine, and on the R3. The wiring is universal, goes to any bike. I had 2 of them, one for the ZX6R and one for the R3 (and before the CBR500). I had the unit velcro'd to my tank, that way I could just unplug it and move it from one bike to the other whenever I wanted in just a few seconds. On the ZX6R I had it setup to read RPM, TPS and brake pressure after I bought a pressure sensor for it.
Nice. I found the universal wiring harness. They have premade ECU connections for pretty much every sportbike except the zx6r. lol.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,401 Posts
I have a dirt cheap qstarz that I'll be testing out tomorrow if I can remember to charge it tonight lol

·
Director of Moderation
10,125 Posts
Nice. I found the universal wiring harness. They have premade ECU connections for pretty much every sportbike except the zx6r. lol.

Doesn't look like an XT one, but similar concept. It's really just a bunch of wires that lead to a quick-connector.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the GPX PRo4 and I love it. I have it wired to record rpm, throttle position and brake switch. Love the programable tach and shift lights also. Much easier to see during a race than the stock tachometer.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
6,401 Posts
Any luck with that?
I realized after I got there that it likely needed the track loaded in ahead of time. I turned it on and rode with it a couple sessions anyway to see what would happen but I haven't checked the data I got yet. I'll be adding nyst into it before I go again next weekend

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realized after I got there that it likely needed the track loaded in ahead of time. I turned it on and rode with it a couple sessions anyway to see what would happen but I haven't checked the data I got yet. I'll be adding nyst into it before I go again next weekend
Weird that it doesn't have the "learn track" feature.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Any lap timer recommendations? I usually just throw my phone in the back of the bike with RaceChrono to know my record times. Looking into the Aim Solo 2 (user guide). 399$ is a bit steep though. :O. Worth it?

That's what I did for about 5 years - old iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer. Works great and is almost free.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I did for about 5 years - old iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer. Works great and is almost free.
I completely agree with you, but I really do think the features that the data loggers provide can help improve with track riding. I want to see how long I really keep the throttle open, how hard I brake/waste time braking and accurate race lines with lean angle.

What Ken Hill said on podcast #36 made sense. Motorcycle riding is not an art, it is quantifiable, and you can correct it and improve. If riding is an art, it means you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I completely agree with you, but I really do think the features that the data loggers provide can help improve with track riding. I want to see how long I really keep the throttle open, how hard I brake/waste time braking and accurate race lines with lean angle.

What Ken Hill said on podcast #36 made sense. Motorcycle riding is not an art, it is quantifiable, and you can correct it and improve. If riding is an art, it means you don't know what you're doing.[/QUOT E]

I don't doubt that there is a lot of utility in the dedicated devices - I was just suggesting another possible route.

I've gone in between - I've got something called the Brain Dose - made in Italy and full of bugs! But i think it does a lot of what you listed above for a lot less than the other data loggers. It captures lean angle, acceleration laterally and in decel/acceleration, split times, lap time, etc.... and plots it against a Google Maps background so you can actually visualize your lines (roughly) which is pretty cool.

I bought it through a Kickstarter program so got something of a discount - I think it was 200 euros at the time, its 400 euros now.

One really cool thing they advertised (but haven't delivered yet) is the ability to automatically synchronize action cam video with the telemetry. I hope they stay in business long enough to deliver on that promise!

Take a look at this link if anyone is interested..... (I have no interest in the company, other than hoping they stay in business long enough to finish what they started :))

Brain Dose

Reactions: mikier6 and jd41

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was about to buy the Aim Solo2 but I can figure out the wiring.
13+ zx6r's don't get as much support when it comes to the track/ raicing compared to Yamaha.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Anyone know how the wires are tapped to the ECU for the XT GPX pro or Aim Solo 2?

--

Got an answer:

11-15 zx10r connections are compatible with 13+ zx6r ECU connectors. Solo2 zx10r

--

Edit: zx10r cable only compatible with zx6r models that have a 6 pin KDS plug. Most just have the KDS plug.

·
6,401 Posts
I just used my qstars for the day at nyst.. and I can't recommend it honestly. It worked okay, definitely not great. More details later. I gotta go grab groceries lol.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

What channels did you wire for (rpm, speed, temp) other than the brake pressure sensor?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts