Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this might be one of the most embarassing questions I've had to ask, but....

how do you use the lap timer on a '06 636?

I obviously can get to the display for it by cycling through the "mode" button, but when I get to the lap timer, no matter how I press the "lap" button on the bars (single, doubles, holding down, etc...), I can't get anything to display other than zeros...

What am I missing??

Thanks in advance....

-Mike

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Not sure if it's the same on the 06 but on the 04 you need to flick the start/stop button on the left handlebar to start the timer. Then you can use the lap button.

·
Registered
764 Posts
on the 07 there is a start/stop on the right handlebar.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Rider operated lap timers will be somewhat inaccurate because any rider will be inaccurate...if you're cool with this, then by all means use it. i personally wouldn't want to spare any of my $10 worth of attention on it, but you might be different.

If you're serious about accurate laptimes, automatic operation, plus a whole bunch of other goodies(split times, best lap, etc)...just drop the $$$ for an XT laptimer.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
XT :yumyum

I aksed XT to build a local trip input so I can use it manually when it's not convenient to set-up a becon. :laugh (No luck though - but I did discover my panasonic TV remote will trigger it, Panasonic use a 42khz carrier, XT told me they use a 38khz carrier :confused).

·
Registered
450 Posts
XT :yumyum

I aksed XT to build a local trip input so I can use it manually when it's not convenient to set-up a becon. :laugh
That would have been a straight up home run.:devious

We use the XT ultra exclusively, and are very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Kawi's lap timer (stop watch) is accurate enough for measuring improvement at a track day, but like poach said... paying attention to hitting the button may end up slowing you down!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hane an AIM lap timer that hooks up to the battery, you can save lap times and tracks the timer.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Kawi's lap timer (stop watch) is accurate enough for measuring improvement at a track day,
Honestly? I don't believe it is. 150mph is 220ft/sec. Rider hits the button with a .5sec margin of error(doubtful, but for the sake of argument). That's 110ft one way or the other. It may work ok for the n00b who is shaving 10sec off his best lap time every time he hits a particular track. But once you begin fighting for tenths...

It may only take 6 months to shave 20sec...but it'll take the rest of your riding career to shave those last 2 tenths.:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Honestly? I don't believe it is. 150mph is 220ft/sec. Rider hits the button with a .5sec margin of error(doubtful, but for the sake of argument). That's 110ft one way or the other. It may work ok for the n00b who is shaving 10sec off his best lap time every time he hits a particular track. But once you begin fighting for tenths...

It may only take 6 months to shave 20sec...but it'll take the rest of your riding career to shave those last 2 tenths.:)
Very true, the best you could do with the on bike lap timer is clock your time within 5/10's of a second. And that's at best. The same can be said for a stop watch, but 5/10's there is a little more realistic since the operator can anticipate the timing mark a little better.

·
Registered
450 Posts
^I think your custom title should draw more attention to itself. Bold color in a larger, or different font maybe? Mods?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
^I think your custom title should draw more attention to itself. Bold color in a larger, or different font maybe? Mods?
that's a good point...:thumbup let me see what i can do :cheers

-:banana

·
Registered
571 Posts
You guys are awesome! :hail

I tried adding bbCode tags, but it didn't work :confused

·
Registered
571 Posts
<< Ahh what'd you do??

EDIT: you fixed it, now everything is green!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts