Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatup guys. So long story short..bought the bike back in April. Its a 2008 ZX6R in plasma blue. First bike, goes plenty fast for me so overall I like it. I'm smaller so anything bigger would be adding danger into the equation so here she is all purty

July 4th I was riding and bring her back to my shop where I keep her..some ball washer swept up the gravel and left it in front of the door, didnt notice until it was too late and went to put my feet down and she fell over..nearly at a stand still but still broke the stock rearset in half :coocoo so I take her apart and sand down the areas with 150 then 600, clean it with some alcohol and vinyl wrapped it with 3m carmine red/black carbon fiber. Took about 8 hours overall tank was the hardest. Replaced stock rearsets with DanMoto rearsets I got off amazon..not sure what to think of them. Foot is positioned more at a racing angle which was a little uncomfortable, hardware is different and will strip the holes on frame if not careful. Added spiked bar ends and they look tits if I do say so myself.

This lasted about 3 weeks and she was tipped over again..parked. New bar ends, more sanding and actually went through the trouble of painting this time. Used about 6 cans of krylon gloss black from walmart and another 3 cans of clear. Didn't use a sanding block which was stupid, but got it pretty smooth, taped off the areas, prime, sand, paint, sand and clear. 3 coats of color and 3 of clear.

This was all fine and dandy with me. Liked the color everything. September 24th someone in a yukon pulled in front of me from the left, cut me off, hit me wheel and my baby went lowside. I got thrown off, roadrash tore through me northface fleece and backpack and I had a nice bruise on me hip for a while but other than that for being ejected at 28 I was up and able to ride it back to home. This time broke windscreen, fairing, support near tachometer broke through fairing on right side, some coolant spilled out through overfill, tank has a dent big enough for a small baby to live in, right rearsets toast snapped like the other one, right fairing has two small holes and some deep rash,tail is scrapped up nothing too terrible, barends toast, and a dime size dent where the bars hit the tank ..but she was rideable back to the mothership.

So for about a month or so I let it sit..both out of frustration and fear of finding more things that would just make me want to can it. I brought her down to her bare bones, and have fixed the fairing damage via welding using a basic $20 soldering iron at homedepot, drumel for guiding the iron, bondo/hardener for the small low spots and smooth finish, sand 80/150/600 to smooth everything out. Now I went a little unconventional on the next steps :devious and I will post pics and tell you why/what once I have it all back together. Below you will see her looking very naked (shes still sexy) with her tank off for repair. but all is well and is a work in progress.

Now with everything off I got to thinking..lets mod this sucker a little. So seeing as I have a stabilizer/two brothers full on there, I opted for some of the smaller revisions. On the docket is the rear brake res relocation, removing the plastic exhaust covering and modding the plastic cowling beneath the sheet, install 2009-11 rearset with 09-11 brake line, air filter change, new plugs, chain cleaning and more so please stay tuned as I will be updating when I can. Feel free to post any questions or comments, thanks for stopping in :cool3:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I removed all the plastic from the tail and trimmed the stuff under the seat completely, it looks 10x better than stock in my opinion. If you'd like to see if you want to do it or not I can post a few pics for you. I have the reservoir moved as well. Cool paint job you had there!

Nasty ding in the frame :(

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Damn dude sounds like it had a rough few months there and quite a bit of plastic surgery to prove it haha. Personally, I liked that black and blue scheme you had on it most recently. Subscribed for future progress :bigthumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow that is one hell of a story but at least your going to get back out there and ride. I like the orginal blue color you should go back to that.

Reactions: zigzag

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Dude you have some shitty luck.. Good to hear your ok after the crash and keep fixing the bike up..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude you have some shitty luck.. Good to hear your ok after the crash and keep fixing the bike up..
Right? That same day some dude decided to hit my car purposely because he didn't like how I was parked..good time to practice my left-right combination :D:

thats not a full. just a slip on
My bad, box says its a 'full exhaust'

Wow that is one hell of a story but at least your going to get back out there and ride. I like the orginal blue color you should go back to that.
Yeah the plasma is real nice, but super hard to come by any even harder to match. I figure I've surpassed the three strike rule so now the bad ju-ju should be gone hah

Damn dude sounds like it had a rough few months there and quite a bit of plastic surgery to prove it haha. Personally, I liked that black and blue scheme you had on it most recently. Subscribed for future progress :bigthumb:
I'm a big fan of DIY/too cheap to pay someone else to do it for me (est. $1600 from most recent incident). Glad your on board, I'll be sure to provide some good material :devious

I removed all the plastic from the tail and trimmed the stuff under the seat completely, it looks 10x better than stock in my opinion. If you'd like to see if you want to do it or not I can post a few pics for you. I have the reservoir moved as well. Cool paint job you had there!

Nasty ding in the frame :(
Yeah man post up some pics for sure, I'd like to see it! The ding is pretty bad yeah..I'll bite the bullet and do the work. Chalk it up to experience and live to ride another day hah

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know what the rubber gromet/cover piece that covers the throttle/brake cables right after the kill switch is called?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks good. I'll take all the pics you want to post :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been kinda busy lately, sorry for not updating guys.

Today I did the brake reservoir relocation mod, tail plastic removal, installed an 09 rearset and replaced the brake fluid both front and back.

Brake fluid is straight nasty in this b*tch so I am going to drain that first. Used a turkey baster to remove what was in the reservoir, connected the tubing I got from walmart for $2 and proceeded to drain what was left in the system.

Once she was done draining her juices, I removed the stock brake line from the mastercylinder to the rear caliper. I did this because it was too short to allow for my 09 rearset modification and needed to go so off she went.

As you can see..the one with the tag is off a 2010 zx6r and the other is the stock that came with my model. Considerable difference. Once that was off, I moved to the rear res relocation. Used two zip ties and removed quite a good chunk of misc hardware.

Next was onto attaching it to the 2009 rearset and having everything work. The master cylinder is at an angle on the new models so the rearset is setup for this. What does that mean for me? A: Either purchase aftermarket 09-12 SS brake lines, B: Purchase an extended-swingarm line and have it look retarded or C: find a cheap used factory line and see if it fits. I went with C and it fits with literally maybe 1/4 of an inch of wiggle room. Used same banjo bolts and crush washers as they werent worn in the least. Everything fit spot on, only difference is stock line had tabs on the ends of the rings and the newer one didn't. Now you may notice I re-installed the holder for the brake line, this is because without it it comes pretty close to the shock/where the swingarm pivots/exhaust pipe and I'd rather not take chances of something melting/crimping/not being able to use my brakes. If I go the SS route maybe I'll take it off completely, but for now I'm fine.

Once that was conquered, next was on to thin-out the tain section. There are only 4 hex bolts holding the plastic coverings between the tail fairing and exhaust so those had to go. Be mindful out of the 4 total bolts, the one on the right-hand bottom was a pain in the arse because it has a small nut thats hard to get to holding the bracket. I'd recommend someone with small hands help you with this or use a monkey wrench like I did. Even without the fairings on I'm a fan.

At this point I'm ready to re-install the brake fluid. Now I drained the rear and the front, I just didn't photograph the front as theres multiple videos out there on how to do this.

For the rear, fill the res with fluid. Chances are unless you did something wrong it will drain itself within a few seconds after you've drained the system. Once this happens, I refilled and began the pump/nip action. For those unfamiliar, pump the right pedal a few times and *while lever is down* release the nipple and let old fluid and bubbles leave the system. In order for the second round of pressure to build, you must close the nipple before releasing the lever. I ended up filling the res 3 times total before the system was bled, came out clear and stopped the bike when rolling forward with ease.

The front had me upset for a little bit, not gonna lie. After draining the calipers on both sides and the res, I closed the nipples and filled the res once. Pumped the front brakes and it didn't give much response so I repeated this for about 15 minutes and nothing was happening. After rebleading the system twice (completely unnecessary), I did some looking around and low and behold there is another bleeding nip on the right bar. Had I noticed this..a 1.5 hour frustration fest couldve been 15-20 max job with limited tools. It is in an awkward place and caught me be surprise but by bleeding it after the calipers were done (hold lever, release nip, close nip, release lever and pump 3-10 times) the brakes returned with marked improvement.

Clean, clear and under control. The brakes on your bike should work without it being on. If they do not, check your lines for leaks, missing washers or nips to see if ones possibly open.

So changing your brake fluid and brake lines isn't difficult. The relocation mod will help shield the bottom res from the light and also gave me the necessary room to install a different rearset.

Thoughts on the rearset..originally I was trying to save a few bucks as the only rearsets on I could find were between a hundo and 125. Got this rearset for $65 shipped (after some negotiation), spent $5 on fluid, and $17 for a used brake line so the savings wasn't humongous but I gained the experience which means more to me. I have tried and now can prove rearsets for ninjas 05-2012 are the same bolt pattern on the bracket, the master cylinder however maybe positioned differently requiring slight modifications like above. This would not have worked without the relocation mod.

To give you guys a teaser, its about 90% finished. Ill post more pics once I get the tank back from the body shop and have everything clear coated and assembled.

PS Even after searching bikebandit I can't locate the part number of this rubber fitting..anyone care to chime in? It seems to cover the throttle cables, maybe for keeping water out?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Whats going on guys. I have survived the drastic cold here (0 deg, -25 with windchill) and I have been putting some time in on the bike. I have primed and painted using Rustoleum products. Auto primer and high-gloss white enamel. Sanded all with 80 grit, 150 grit, 600 grit before priming then used some alcohol 70% and a microfiber towel to remove debris. After that used the orange 'final' cloth to remove any remaining residue and primed 2-3 coats on each piece and gave it two solid coats of the high-gloss white.

Painted the entire tank, then in my efforts to determine a starting problem I got gas on it so shes on the table prepped and primed at the moment. Below pic is right before I taped it and primed it. I'll take more pics tomorrow of it primed.

When I cleaned the chain (Kerosene and k1 :p). Didn't get a rearstand, so I was wheeling it around the garage but the job got done. They only had the gallon of it but if you can get it in a pressurized can.

2/3 Put together. I've had a few people say it looks like a storm trooper..really dude? I plan on doing a graffiti sharpie custom style on the bike. I will start with the nose, move to the sides and possibly the tank and rear we will see how it goes. I've got my sharpies and I plan on covering that with SprayMax 2k spray urethane clear coat. I always thought the front turn signals were large and not attractive so I covered them at an angle with painters tape and applied a few coats of white. I like how it turned out.

In Maine, this is how some go about things. Took this pic outside my tint shop before I left what are your thoughts? :lol: PS this surely is not my car.

I'll be ordering a fuel pump soon as mine has konked out, but she will run strong soon enough. Feel free to ask any questions or whatever I'm more than willing to help anyone I can!

·
Registered
294 Posts
This thread may have just saved me 15% or more on my car insurance.. I have 09 rearsets to install and was thinking maybe i couldn't manage the hassle of doing a res relocation. so now instead of shopping for a rearset I'm gonna just buy an extended brake line. Thanks!

and that "accent" license plate is hilarious.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
love the white....
Thanks brew

White it lookin good
:devious

This thread may have just saved me 15% or more on my car insurance.. I have 09 rearsets to install and was thinking maybe i couldn't manage the hassle of doing a res relocation. so now instead of shopping for a rearset I'm gonna just buy an extended brake line. Thanks!

and that "accent" license plate is hilarious.
Glad I could help! The accent or just plain ol' ******** up here kill me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres some pics of the tank while primed and with color. Prep is key, don't let anyone tell you different.

For the most part, these are my painting/sanding products.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like your torn rubber cover will be expensive as you'd have to buy the whole cable:

2007 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600P7F) Cables | MRCycles

How about flipping it over ?

Nice plastic repair BTW.

I ride an 07
I'll give it a shot..not worth the whole cable. Thanks man, what color is yours?

Small Update. I've started the graffiti project. The bike is all white right now just figured I'd post it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.