Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My 2000 J1 ZX6R is fitted with wavy discs (FRONT)which I seem to be getting a knocking noise from. I had the pistons/calipers checked and serviced and are OK but noise still there. Doesnt affect anything other than it is audible at low speeds and goes away as soon as I pull the front brake lever even a tiny bit. There was a "FIX IT" article in the MCN this week that suggests that the "BOBBINS" that centre the discs can pick up crud and this may cause this noise, but I cannot seem to see what these are or where to find them.
Any suggestions please would be greatly appreciated, ESPECIALLY IF ITS A SIMPLE FIX!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Its normal for floating disks to make a bit of noise (wavy or not) as they move about on the bobbins. As the carriers and bobins wear they tend to make more noise, but its of no real concern unless its so worn your concerned that the rotor may seperate from the carrier.

BTW if you look at your rotor, the center part that bolts to the wheel is the carrier (usually aluminum), the outer bit that gets squeezed by the pads is the rotor (almost always iron/steel), the little round bits that connect the two are the bobbins, they are meant to be loose to allow some movement of the rotor on the carrier. This helps prevent pulsating due to minor warping and also helps prevent warping by allowing the rotor to move around as it heats and cools.

good luck

·
Registered
964 Posts
Its normal for floating disks to make a bit of noise (wavy or not) as they move about on the bobbins. As the carriers and bobins wear they tend to make more noise, but its of no real concern unless its so worn your concerned that the rotor may seperate from the carrier.

:stupid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts