Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with KMC chains? I recently put on new sprockets and a chain, and the shop sold me a KMC chain 520 Gold O ring. I have used KMC in the past and never had a problem with them but the previous chain I had was a 530 and used the rivet style link. I am having the hardest time tracking down a rivet style link for this 520 chain. DID are too big. Not sure what to try next. Shop originally told me it came with a rivet link after I asked. However, they failed to communicate that to the mechanic. They wont take back the chain now cause its used. So, I am not all that comfortable with using a clip style link, but until I find a rivet style link, I am stuck with the clip.

Any insights?
I believe its the same as the Western Powersports chains...not positive though. Looking for any rivet link that will fit...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just recently bought a Regina chain and sprocket kit from imotorcycle.com and it was supposed to come with both rivet & clip style masterlinks. However, when I opened the box it only had the clip style, so I phoned them up and they said they would mail me one out. Maybe check out there web site and give them a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well if u get no joy i would be inclined to junk the chain and buy a new one with proper rivetted link. its better to be safe then sorry coz a broken chan could damage you and would most certainly damage ur bike as and if it flails about. after all its only money, but i cant see how ya have let them off the hook by misselling the chain to you, they sold it to you as a riveted one and its not, clearly miss-sold!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if u get no joy i would be inclined to junk the chain and buy a new one with proper rivetted link. its better to be safe then sorry coz a broken chan could damage you and would most certainly damage ur bike as and if it flails about. after all its only money, but i cant see how ya have let them off the hook by misselling the chain to you, they sold it to you as a riveted one and its not, clearly miss-sold!
Well, the only reason I "let" then off the hook was because there mechanic does crap work and I didnt want him touching my bike again. More than likely I will be buying another chain... A $60 lesson learned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the only reason I "let" then off the hook was because there mechanic does crap work and I didnt want him touching my bike again. More than likely I will be buying another chain... A $60 lesson learned.
maybe toy could have tried telling them to get the fckd chain n its link off the bike and supply you with a new one that you will get put on yourself properly by another god mechanic! you have nothing to lose now be letting them know how you feel about their service and mechanic.

After owning boats and angrily discovering that everyone in the boating world are not as good or competent as they claim or think they are, sadly i have discovered that some in the motorcycling industry are just as useless.

last fcuk-up cost me £150 to put correct!!! by a company whom do what they say on the sign!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe toy could have tried telling them to get the fckd chain n its link off the bike and supply you with a new one that you will get put on yourself properly by another god mechanic! you have nothing to lose now be letting them know how you feel about their service and mechanic.

After owning boats and angrily discovering that everyone in the boating world are not as good or competent as they claim or think they are, sadly i have discovered that some in the motorcycling industry are just as useless.

last fcuk-up cost me £150 to put correct!!! by a company whom do what they say on the sign!
I gambled with the shop, they were new and I wanted to try them out. So call it a $150 lesson learned. Not worth my time or aggrevation fighting with them about it. It has already cost me that amount in trips down to the shop and time off work to try and get this corrected. Next time I will be doing it myself.

Still having a hard time finding a rivet masterlink anywhere...for this chain...might have to live with the clip until I replace everything again...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just get a 520 rivet link from a different brand..:O I have done it before with a 530.. I had a regina chain and no link, I used a EK link on it(maybe it was a RK, i dont remember which of the two).. But I never had a problem with it..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get a 520 rivet link from a different brand..:O I have done it before with a 530.. I had a regina chain and no link, I used a EK link on it.. I never had a problem with it..
The shop tried using a DID link and it didnt fit, said the rollers were too big in the DID link. Might try a regina or EK link...I just didnt want to have to buy 7 different brands just to find the one that works...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts