Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ppl, this is aimed at those of you with kids..what sort of age do you think is the youngest to take a child on the back of a bike? Does anyone know what the law says? My sons too young to get on the back now but if he's anything like me then he'll be desperate to get on ASAP lol also need to think of a good excuse to tell the mrs....i'm not sure "The car won't start, you stay here and do the dishes" will work :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Neveruary.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
When they can reach the pegs.

Although I think they changed the laws out here to 8yo. I'm not sure if they passed the law, but they were talking about it. (I wasn't too phased at the time as Gav was already 8.)

Here he is on his Mum's old bike. (He could reach the pegs on that when he was 4)

It was a bit later before I could take him on the TLS. (6 I think) Our 1st overnight trip on the bike.

(He's now got a full faced helmet, I waited until I was confident his neck muscles were strong enough to hold the lid up for an hour at a time etc)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i dont have any kids yet.. but i dont like to see really young kids bak on bikes... let them be 15!!!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Honestly.....:)
Mine were in diapers sitting on the tank going up and down the street.
After that, as soon as they could climb on them self, they rode in front
of me with a lid that fit.
After that, when they could reach the pegs in the back.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Forgot about that :laugh (The bitumen was soft out the front of my place :rolleyes) He wore a push bike helmet when we took off for the paddocks. An easy way to run my dog 10km.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My daughter is 8 and although I would never risk her life on a busy road or freeway traffic, we go for rides around the neighborhood all the time. Of course we top speed 30 at the most and uh yea no wheelies daddy she says haha all good tho

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey ppl, this is aimed at those of you with kids..what sort of age do you think is the youngest to take a child on the back of a bike? Does anyone know what the law says? My sons too young to get on the back now but if he's anything like me then he'll be desperate to get on ASAP lol also need to think of a good excuse to tell the mrs....i'm not sure "The car won't start, you stay here and do the dishes" will work :)
In the UK it is illegal to carry a pillion passenger that cannot reach the foot pegs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
All 3 of my chitlins rode in *front* before they were 2yrs old...both dirt and pavement.

My 2 oldest are 7 and 5...both were RIDING their own bikes solo by the time they were 4...

I'd say as far as riding pillion...get him/her on there as soon as they can fully grasp the gravity and serious nature of being a passenger....

·
Registered
215 Posts
ive got two one 12 and one 5 my eldest first hopped on the back at 7 but before then always on front just down the road etc and even at 12 she still only gets short rides half hour at a time

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have taken my daughter around the parking lot when she was 2 1/2 on the tank. When she is probally 6 or so I'll get her a lid and take her on the back some slowly of course lol.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Forgot about that :laugh (The bitumen was soft out the front of my place :rolleyes) He wore a push bike helmet when we took off for the paddocks. An easy way to run my dog 10km.
That's about the size I was when my dad first started riding me around on his BMW Airhead (though we had helmets). He plunked me on the tank, I held onto the inner part of the bars and his arms ensured that I couldn't fall off. I thought it was the greatest thing ever at the time! Once I was deemed big enough to be able to reach the pegs I rode on the back which worked out just fine.

I know kids who started riding their own peewee bikes (small, 50cc) at 3.5yrs old and many who started on their 4th b-day. A Yamaha peewee 50 is perfect (really small, shaft drive etc).

·
Registered
450 Posts
A Yamaha peewee 50 is perfect (really small, shaft drive etc).
Plus it's fun to flat track and makes a GREAT pit bike. As long as you don't allow your dumbass buddy to crash it practicing his shite stoppies, then have to explain to your daughter why you let some dumbass ride her bike....:spit:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts