Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
ZX25R's are turning up for sale here and I do suspect it's because of the ZX4R imminent announcement...

Reactions: misnblu and Rich T

·
Registered
651 Posts
Whenever I park mine I always put it in gear that way it cannot roll forward.

Running I always put it on a stand!
Probably not the direct answer you are looking for but my ZX6R is for track and I mainly have the concern on the engine covers if I fall but I installed the GB Racing Engine Covers. As most parts are, a little pricey perhaps but could save issues in the future.

My GB covers have saved my engine covers as well. That said if you didn’t order the kawi one already a woodcraft one would look trick and be crashworthy. When I busted an oem clip on I replaced with woodcraft. Better quality, easier to replace in event of another crash, and more adjustable.

Even if there was foam there it would probably br to keep the fairing off the engine or quiet things a bit.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks -- I have woodcraft sliders on my N400, which I love.

I'm hoping the oem cover and oem sliders together will be enough for "next time"...

I was (pleasantly) surprised the oem sliders mount over the covers, rather than to the frame, and were available for just $150.

(The oem sliders for N400 are terrible how they mount to the frame -- most everyone who has "tested" them has ended up with a bent frame. I saw similar warnings about many sliders for ZX-6R.)

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, this might not have been the best idea, but I took the cover to a local welder 3 minutes from home with inert gas capabilities, and just like @RJ2112 suspected, he had to do some grinding and filling... An hour later he had it back to me -- it was cheaper than the new part, but not by much... Mostly I was just excited to meet these guys -- a couple of brothers who inherited the shop from their dad -- I'm always breaking stuff, so I figure we'll meet again! :)

The only challenge was I had to grind off part of the shoulder of the bolt in the repair area, so it would not interfere with the repair... I don't think the welds will interfere with the rotor -- I tried to confirm that.

I did make one mistake and somehow I used the wrong sealer -- I used TB1216B (black) instead of TB1211F (clear) -- I just grabbed the wrong tube -- hopefully that will not matter. The edge of the cover was a bit wavy, but I hope between the sealer and gasket I should be fine -- I'm not used to using both together...

Here are pictures of the repair:
Rim Circle Bicycle part Auto part Gas

Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Tints and shades Helmet Bag

Mostly I see this as just a learning experience -- I have the oem parts on the way if I fail -- I'll keep a close eye on things... I'll probably open things up in a week just to look...

I'll put the frame sliders on in the morning!!! :)

·
Registered
Braking Zone Leg Dangler
283 Posts
I had this happen when I first got my 2013 too. Was checking the mailbox and watched the thing fall off the stand. Do it once, you never repeat it. I always kick the stand forward now (yes it is possible to sit the bike down with the stand vertical instead of properly forward) and also have an R&G kickstand shoe which makes it less likely to happen.
This is what I do too. Kick it down then kick it again to make sure it’s fully engaged. I look OCD (and am in some things lol) but it works! Takes 1 extra second. Left in gear too of course.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Nice looking repair! Yup obvious it's repaired but presuming the surface is flat enough then it will be a great backup. On that part I'll be surprised if it leaks. Modern gasket materials are great. If it leaks just pretend you have an old British bike :)

Of course as long as it is on the bike it will never fall over again ....

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
then it will be a great backup
Yeah, no leaks so far -- my plan is to keep the repaired part on until I sell the bike -- and then replace it with the new one.

This way if I do have a fall again, I won't mess up the shiny new part I have in a box here now!

(I have a new plastic fairing piece for my N400 in that same box, while I keep the repaired part on the bike as my daughter learns to ride!)

Of course as long as it is on the bike it will never fall over again ....
I'm counting on that! :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts