Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You knew this was coming... I knew it was coming, too, but hoped it would take longer...

I had the bike on the flat part of our driveway on the kickstand, and was going to let it idle for a minute...

I walked away and bam -- it is on its side... :-(

Well, ignore the fact that there is now oil leaking out of the alternator cover, with a huge crack in it... :-(

But it really surprised me -- I've parked the N400 there many times without issue -- it really is flat (as flat as our garage, for sure).

Looking at the kickstand for ZX-6R and N400, I see a huge difference (both pictures are with the base of the square parallel to the length of the bike and the handlebars straight)...

Is this normal?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Rim Fender

PS the sad part of this story is I had Kawasaki frame sliders in a box waiting to be installed this weekend -- now I have a $200 bill and a week to wait to ride again. :-(

PPS I'm thinking of JB Weld on the alternator cover as a temporary fix for the oil leak -- would anyone have any reason to tell me that's just stupid? Is there any actual oil pressure there?

PPPS Now I am wondering if the bike has been lowered in some way??? I bought it "new", but it has been at the dealer since March, 2022...

PPPS the inside edge of the square is lined up with the center of the kickstand bolt.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am sorry for what happened, it happens to me that I check several times before letting go of the bike because the inclination does not give me much confidence, with an angle grinder you can file the seat to gain angle in the support foot.
I attach an image of my bike for you to compare and you will notice that like yours, it also has little angle
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Fuel tank

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you, I ordered my rear spools today -- and I'll take the angle grinder to the stand seat this weekend, and maybe get a bit more confidence -- I'm not sure I'd even want to change the oil on that sidestand...

Lesson learned -- you never think about this stuff until you find out you should have thought about it a minute earlier! :)

·
Registered
2005 ZX-6R Magma Red, 2021 ZX-6R Pearl Nightshade Teal
274 Posts
My 2005 and 21 both are more "straight" than my dad's zx-11. That said, my dad's bike sits more straight up than both my 6r's which have a bit more lean onto the kickstand so idk if it's just how they want then to sit or what 🤷‍♂️

Sucks about what happened though, hopefully you get on the road sooner than later

Reactions: Rich T

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other curious question... I have a squishy foam pad between the lower fairing and the engine on the right side, but not on the left (where I fell)...

Am I missing a pad on the left side (that might have protected the alternator cover), or is it just asymmetrical?

Thanks!

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting

PS

hopefully you get on the road sooner than later
Fortunately, yes, I had a few (very) good days before this happened! :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had this happen when I first got my 2013 too. Was checking the mailbox and watched the thing fall off the stand. Do it once, you never repeat it. I always kick the stand forward now (yes it is possible to sit the bike down with the stand vertical instead of properly forward) and also have an R&G kickstand shoe which makes it less likely to happen.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, here is my sad cover...

I've ordered a replacement, but I'm thinking of just dropping by a weld shop to see if they can lay a bead on the outside -- not sure about that bolt hole, though...

There's very little clearance for anything on the inside that I can see...

Automotive lighting Body jewelry Auto part Personal protective equipment Jewellery

Water Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Plumbing fixture

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
WOW that's sad and frustrating! I pulled over on the side of I75 north of Tampa to fix my helmet's bluetooth adaptor which was dangling. Flipped the side stand down with my boot and hopped off ..... well not quite so quick there! The side stand was's fully down and collapsed as I got off! I fell to the ground and luckily my foot wasn't trapped under the bike! Scary part was my head (with the helmet on) was next to the line which was the edge of the right hand lane!!!!!

Bike had a bent clutch lever and some scrapes to the fairings which according to my wife were no big deal - it matched me it has scars now she said :-( I piked it up and rode on to Sarasota shaken a fair amount. Needless to say I am super careful now!

Pulled over on the side of the road across the Big Horn Mountain in a stretch that was recently chip tarred. It was raining and my visor was fogging badly. Misjudged the slope to the left but the bike didn't tip over but was very hard to stand up off the side stand. I am super careful now!

·
Registered
229 Posts
[/QUOTE]
One other curious question... I have a squishy foam pad between the lower fairing and the engine on the right side, but not on the left (where I fell)...

Am I missing a pad on the left side (that might have protected the alternator cover), or is it just asymmetrical?

Thanks!

View attachment 112097

PS

It has rubber on both sides, obviously you are missing one.

·
Registered
2 wheels. 1 engine. Squid pilot😂
11 Posts
@Rich T Sorry to see you pull what most of us do on new bikes including me so don't feel bad. 🤦🤷
Hey shiat happens and we move on. 🤙
Hope you get it going again soon and back riding. 🙏

First post and no I'm not stalking you. 😂😋
I'm here to do a ton of reading on what may be my next bike down the road. 🤞

·
Registered
85 Posts
It has rubber on both sides, obviously you are missing one.
[/QUOTE]
Well hell mine has been missing from day one also?

Organism Triangle Font Line Slope

• Helpful
Reactions: Rich T and misnblu

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Have to agree with the rest, it’s something almost everyone does at least once. Since I managed a very similar drop , I never ever leave a bike in neutral nose down hill on the side stand. Turn it off, put it in gear , let out the clutch and let engine compression hold the bike. THEN get off while covering front brake and deploy side stand. Always give it a kick to ensure fully moved as far forward as it will go.

relax grip on front brakes and set bike on side stand. Observe for a few seconds to ensure everything is stable….

·
Registered
2005 ZX-6R Magma Red, 2021 ZX-6R Pearl Nightshade Teal
274 Posts
You know I never checked to see if mine had foam on the left. I'll have to check next time I'm up at my parents, which might be tomorrow so I can ride it up and down the street a few times lol, I miss the ride and we have had such great weather it's killing me...

Thankfully I've never dropped mine from kickstand woes (knock on wood), instead I just had fedex back into it (into a completely empty parking lot mind you, other than my bike)... thing has 181 miles on it, and they had to back into it 😒

Funny enough my 2005 ended up on its side because my brother dropped it at like 15 MPH, and fedex bumped my 2021 off its stand...I have yet to drop and damage my own bike, third bikes going to be the one I drop, I feel it haha

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@misnblu awesome to have you here -- I expect we're both going thru the same thought process... ZX-6R... ZX-4R... ZX-6R... October 4th... Or not... :) (I eventually decided I'd rather have the last year of the ZX-6R than the first year of the ZX-4R!)

@ON1WHL thanks a ton for the parts id -- I was almost sure and came to the same conclusion, but I've been fooled by those inside-out diagrams before!!!

Well, my funniest drop, since we're telling drop stories, was in the garage with the rear wheel off, on the rear stand -- I thought I could just roll the bike a bit on the stand wheels, and as I did so, the stand flipped over! Bike landed in its swingarm and stayed there -- no damage at all!

Oh, funnier story yet... Showing off for my daughter (again) showing her how to break sticks in the woods... See if you can tell below what happened... I so should have seen this coming... (I'll give you a hint -- I was exactly half as tall as the stick was long -- and I jumped really high and hit the stick perfectly dead center!

Liquid Water Fluid Font Art

Happy Friday, everyone!

·
Registered
282 Posts

Thanks!

View attachment 112097

PS

There is foam on one side only so you are not missing any foam brother. I replaced my kickstand with a PSR adjustable because I've lowered the rear 1 inch and I never idle my bike on the kickstand. The PSR is a very nice unit but it's too short for the OEM height.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: Rich T and misnblu

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
FWIW, here is my sad cover...

I've ordered a replacement, but I'm thinking of just dropping by a weld shop to see if they can lay a bead on the outside -- not sure about that bolt hole, though...

There's very little clearance for anything on the inside that I can see...

View attachment 112098

View attachment 112099
I'm amazed that this cover cracked at all..... and that the crack is as extensive as it is. I would not expect any sort of long term fix to work sealing the cracks. The capillary nature of oil will eventually lift off any sort of epoxy applied; welding would be the only way to assure a sealed surface. MIG/TIG would likely be able to do a bead on the cover, but I have to presume it would involve grinding out the crack to allow enough penetration of the fillet to make a sound weld. Any way you look at it, the result would at best be ugly compared to new OEM. Depending on how much heat they would have to put into the cover to perform the weld, there's some risk of warping the part.

·
Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is foam on one side only so you are not missing any foam brother.
Thanks for the picture, yours looks just like mine -- it is curiously asymmetrical though!

I replaced my kickstand with a PSR adjustable because I've lowered the rear 1 inch
Your stand looks to have more of an angle (past vertical) than mine -- I'll try a small stint with the angle grinder this weekend.

If that doesn't help, maybe I'll try the same, since it is adjustable -- I love the idea of having a bit more flexibility where I can park...

... and I never idle my bike on the kickstand.
Yeah, I don't do that... ...any more! :)

MIG/TIG would likely be able to do a bead on the cover, but I have to presume it would involve grinding out the crack to allow enough penetration of the fillet to make a sound weld. Any way you look at it, the result would at best be ugly compared to new OEM. Depending on how much heat they would have to put into the cover to perform the weld, there's some risk of warping the part.
Thanks for looking that over -- that's a super helpful assessment! I already ordered a new cover, but I'm thinking I might go to the local welding shop on Monday and show it to them -- maybe keep this one as a backup for "next time" if they can do something hacky to help -- it sure is a bummer to have oil leak out of the engine...

I will get my (oem) frame sliders out of the box and onto the new cover asap when they arrive -- hindsight is 20/20.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!

View attachment 112097

PS

Probably not the direct answer you are looking for but my ZX6R is for track and I mainly have the concern on the engine covers if I fall but I installed the GB Racing Engine Covers. As most parts are, a little pricey perhaps but could save issues in the future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts