Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is posted twice I havent started many threads on here and I posted it but couldnt find it pop up so I re did it... if its up twice then let me know Ill ask M.o.M to delete one of merge or whatever needs to happen

So i just wanted to make my own thread about my bike. As I have posted before I recently dumped my bike. This thread is going to show me doing upgrades and replacements of the things I need and am now just doing because I may as well. I have ZERO mechanical but a couple friends will help me out and it seems all of these things are fairly simple.... heres a list of the things I purchased so far and am in the process of doing.

OEM Rear sets (powder coated red)
OEM passenger pegs (powder coated black)
new OEM right clip on
OEM brake lever and master cylinder
Side fairings (painted black)... fixed the ones i rashed in the crash.
rear fairing (cant decide whether to paint black or not)
rear seat cowl
smoked integrated tail light
smoked flushmount turn signals
Powder coating the rims red.
smoked head light lens covers.
chain guard painted black.

basically in the end the whole bike will be black except the headlight fairing, the tank, rearsets, rims, and passenger pegs (which I prob wont put back on the bike since I doubt my wife will get back on it since I dumped it)... I am also considering not painting the rear fairing black and leaving that and the seat cowl red or fairing black and seat cowl red.But I cant picture the way any of them look. I want it to look clean and good but not like every one elses bike... I need someone to photoshop a couple pics for me (id be willing to pay)
here some pics of so far.before, after crash and mid renovation.lol

squidding hard. I recently invested in gear and boots instead of my tight tee and lebron james kicks.lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

before crash.stock everything

after the crash

post crash

stock tails and broken rear fairing

where I am now

I will keep updating as more things get done. thanks for reading. Any advice or suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Well you learned what not to do. As far as bike repair, everything sounds good. I'd throw on a set of frame sliders (I like woodcraft). Also, invest in your riding skill whethe it be track time or additional MSF courses.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the damage. However, I look forward to following your progress :bigthumb:
Thanks man. im excited to see how it turns out!. I learned alot from dropping the bike. and Ill now get to customize my bike and learn a thing or 2 about working on one.

Well you learned what not to do. As far as bike repair, everything sounds good. I'd throw on a set of frame sliders (I like woodcraft). Also, invest in your riding skill whethe it be track time or additional MSF courses.

Good luck.
thanks! Yeah I sure did!...I plan on taking a course at a track when I move back to a real state in a few months. New hampshire has one in october but I cant make the 4 hour drive.

I plan on doing frame sliders.. do you know of any that you would recommend that dont require any major surgery or cutting? i guess kinda just bolt on.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
definitely love watching people (re)build a bike. its pretty awesome. still glad you made it through the crash alright, and glad the damage was cosmetic from what it seems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I plan on doing frame sliders.. do you know of any that you would recommend that dont require any major surgery or cutting? i guess kinda just bolt on.
I had Motovation frame sliders on my 636. I liked them a lot, but they required cutting. If you opt for no-cut sliders, I would research them thoroughly. Many no-cut sliders are reported to work fine for dropping your bike in the driveway, but fail when you really need them.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definitely love watching people (re)build a bike. its pretty awesome. still glad you made it through the crash alright, and glad the damage was cosmetic from what it seems.
Yeah I am stoked to make this bike mine. and really try to set it apart (without going crazy).. lots of nice bikes on this sight to gimme ideas!

I had Motovation frame sliders on my 636. I liked them a lot, but they required cutting. If you opt for no-cut sliders, I would research them thoroughly. Many no-cut sliders are reported to work fine for dropping your bike in the driveway, but fail when you really need them.
LOL i know you were serious but it was just funny the way that came out "fine for dropping the bike in the drive way". That def makes me not want them haha.... maybe some one has had no cut sliders that worked well? im just afraid to go cutting anything. But if its necessary to get a decent product Ill have it done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What caused the crash? I cannot find anything about it using search.

Your lady was on the back during crash? if so +1 thats always pretty epic.

Did you get fucked up and get like road rash or anything?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
i have shogun frame sliders, granted, i havent put them on yet, but still.... i have them :p they seem pretty good!

·
Registered
218 Posts
maybe some one has had no cut sliders that worked well? im just afraid to go cutting anything. But if its necessary to get a decent product Ill have it done.
There very well might be some that are designed well so that they will hold up. If there are, they likely have been discussed here at some point...

Have fun with the rebuild!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You can always click on User CP, then click on "List Subscriptions" and you can see every thread you've ever posted in.

Keep up the good work though.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What caused the crash? I cannot find anything about it using search.

Your lady was on the back during crash? if so +1 thats always pretty epic.

Did you get fucked up and get like road rash or anything?
without boring you with a long story.. I was going around a corner at about 15 or 20mph and hit a patch of sand from construction. Bike slid from under me. I dont recall but I assume I panicked and hit the break mid turn.

no she wasnt on the back but it scared the crap out of her that I fell so I doubt she will ever get on a motorcycle. she hates them.

yes i got road rash!

i have shogun frame sliders, granted, i havent put them on yet, but still.... i have them :p they seem pretty good!
Have you ever had a diff sliders? if so,how do the ones you have now feel and seem in comparision?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can always click on User CP, then click on "List Subscriptions" and you can see every thread you've ever posted in.

Keep up the good work though.

thanks! I am still trying to figure my way around this place. I seem to always end up in classifieds and my wallet doesnt like it haha.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
This.

I had trex frame sliders on my old 636 that folded when crash tested. I've crashed tested woodcrafts on my 09 twice this ear and they have held up great. Go for a cut style. Cutting the fairings isn't as bad as it sounds, ESP since you planned on painting anyway.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This.

I had trex frame sliders on my old 636 that folded when crash tested. I've crashed tested woodcrafts on my 09 twice this ear and they have held ]up great. Go for a cut style. Cutting the fairings isn't as bad as it sounds, ESP since you planned on painting anyway.

well now the fairings are already painted and ready to put back on. the rear fairing is the only one that isn't painted because I havent received it in the mail yet(which makes me realize I havent gotten a conf # and I ordered over a week ago). The guy thats painting them for me might feel comfortable doing it tho.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The front brake wont engage. i dont think. thoughts??

No new pics but I have a video of progress that ill upload shortly. I got the clip on replaced. OkayH helped me out with a lil detailed description. SO i replaced the clip on, master cylinder and reservoir. Everythings seems to be working fine except the brake lever. When I pull it the brake light turns on but there isnt much tension at all. It doesnt stop. itll go until it touches the clip on.

Also any advice on making sure the angle of the clip on is correct? because it can pivot at any angle before you tighten it im curious as to how you know they are both set equally?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
For the stock clip ons, just put those bolts in that connect the clip on to the top triple clamp. They will both line up if neither are tweaked.

For the brakes, did they work before you swapped stuff? Check for kinked brake lines, everything is connected, all nipples are closed, etc. From there you can do a system bleed to see if it was just air that made its way into the system when you crashed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My shogun sliders on my 636 held up at a 54mph lowside. I still need to order a replacement. Btw word of advice. Invest in some sliders and some gear. That hand looks like it hurts.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the stock clip ons, just put those bolts in that connect the clip on to the top triple clamp. They will both line up if neither are tweaked.

For the brakes, did they work before you swapped stuff? Check for kinked brake lines, everything is connected, all nipples are closed, etc. From there you can do a system bleed to see if it was just air that made its way into the system when you crashed.
Im not sure if the brake worked before I swapped stuff because it was all broken in the crash... Im 99% sure everything is connected I triple and quadruple checked... I would assume air got in somewhere becauase I didnt cover anything up when I swapped everything out.Im not sure what a nipple is... (that sounds weird. Im very familiar with nipples just not the kind you want me to look for ha)...and what do you mean a system bleed?

My shogun sliders on my 636 held up at a 54mph lowside. I still need to order a replacement. Btw word of advice. Invest in some sliders and some gear. That hand looks like it hurts.
Thanks. the shogun are no cut?? I already invested in the SS jacket and gloves. I have a pair of regular boots to ride in now.and I asked the wife for a pair of those slider jeans with Kevlar in the knees and ass for anniversary gift.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OKAYH....no need to repeat yourself on the bleeding of the brakes. I just did a search and found a few posts you did outlining how to bleed them and a video as well. SO I will give that a shot soon.I really appreciate the helpful information!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts