Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have found some Camshafts for the 13-21 ZX6R engine, these are essentially stock camshafts that have been polished and re-profiled to either SS or SBK profiles. My question is, are these cams safe for stock valve springs?

I’m still waiting to hear back on the exact lift specs etc of the cams from the manufacturer.

But, is there any work that should be performed to the cylinder head before installing these like strong springs etc?

Thanks for the help!

Font Office supplies Auto part Writing implement Parallel

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Ask the cam manufacturer!!!!!!!!!!!

but if adding lift beyond about an additional .020" I would say absolutely you NEED springs, retaining washer and keepers

and they will be of little value without supporting mods!
they most certainly will sacrifice streetability for top end performance as well so for a streetbike likely a huge disappointing waste of time and money

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask the cam manufacturer!!!!!!!!!!!

but if adding lift beyond about an additional .020" I would say absolutely you NEED springs, retaining washer and keepers

and they will be of little value without supporting mods!
they most certainly will sacrifice streetability for top end performance as well so for a streetbike likely a huge disappointing waste of time and money
Can I remove, and and swap the cams, and retime the engine without removing the engine all
together?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Can I remove, and and swap the cams, and retime the engine without removing the engine all
together?
Yes, that should be no problem. You do the same basic thing when you pull the cams to change shims when adjusting valve lash. Are you going to use adjustable cam sprockets so you can degree the cams accurately?

Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that should be no problem. You do the same basic thing when you pull the cams to change shims when adjusting valve lash. Are you going to use adjustable cam sprockets so you can degree the cams accurately?

Mark
Fortunately It already has adjustable cam gears installed. I’m ready to get more in-depth with my machine, and my engine. I think installing and degreeing cams is a great area to work up to. I’ve been doing a lot of research on the subject as of late.

More than likely it’ll be a job I do during this coming winter. I’ll take my time and do it all correctly and very slowly. I am just getting involved in ordering all of the tools/parts I’d need to do this my self.

This is all for fun, entertainment, learning, and accomplishing something more technical.

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Fortunately It already has adjustable cam gears installed. I’m ready to get more in-depth with my machine, and my engine. I think installing and degreeing cams is a great area to work up to. I’ve been doing a lot of research on the subject as of late.

More than likely it’ll be a job I do during this coming winter. I’ll take my time and do it all correctly and very slowly. I am just getting involved in ordering all of the tools/parts I’d need to do this my self.

This is all for fun, entertainment, learning, and accomplishing something more technical.
All of the above...
This is the way

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
together?
Yes, but it will be a bit more difficult inside the frame but it can be done certainly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts