Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... My experience of wheelies is watching a how to video on YouTube. Lol. Starting only with power wheelies, and seems to work ok when I hit the sweet spot in the throttle. Not gonna try clutch ups for a while, but does anyone have any hints or tips for the power wheelies? I dont wanna wipe out. Haha. Thanks guys

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking into a damper. My question is what is the purpose? What do they provide that's beneficial, in normal riding conditions, or when doing wheelies?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've been looking into a damper. My question is what is the purpose? What do they provide that's beneficial, in normal riding conditions, or when doing wheelies?
It does just as the name implies. Have you ever been hard on the throttle and hit some rough pavement, then the bars start shaking and you crap yourself? Steering dampeners reduce that shake. All kinds of benefits. More stable at speed, turning, and low speeds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So... My experience of wheelies is watching a how to video on YouTube. Lol. Starting only with power wheelies, and seems to work ok when I hit the sweet spot in the throttle. Not gonna try clutch ups for a while, but does anyone have any hints or tips for the power wheelies? I dont wanna wipe out. Haha. Thanks guys
Clutching up wheelies adds consistency. Power wheelies are too sketchy and by the time you come anywhere close to the balance point, you're out of gear. Use the foot brake and clutch up the wheelie. Otherwise, keep practicing the foot brake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome guys. Thank you. So clutch up wheelies are easier then power? Im a little sketched on the clutch wheelie. I'll have to try it out but def don't wanna fall. I wish I had a stunt bike cause i don't wanna fuck this one up!!! And i do want a damper. Scott or Ohlins?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
power wheelies are fast and get faster
but to do it
id ........ roll along say 30 ish give a few revs to speed up but then almost same time drop off the revs so the front end drops then again in a split second nail the throttle (sort of) sit further back on the seat up she comes
but its fast and ..................... cover that rear break

clutch ups are better slower (maybe) 2nd gear
roll on, clutch in blip revs, drop clutch same time revs, up it comes just do little ones untill you find it comfy then longer and longer ... dont forget "cover rear brake"

vids mate get some on here

ps im STILL trying to get confident to get to balance point but now starting to use rear peg and standing up a bit more

good luck good playing

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clutch ups scare me a bit. I don't know what rpm to pop the clutch at. I just don't wanna flip backwards. That's my main concern. Lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's not as easy as you think to flip it backwards unless you really over do it without using the foot brake. Maintain a good steady speed (25-30) or whatever you feel comfortable and just sit in a parking lot and go back and forth, maintain speed, grab clutch, rev an extra 3-5kish rpms and POP clutch, don't ease off it. As soon as you feel the bike jolt, mash the foot brake. Repeat this process 1,000 times and I will guarantee you will make a ton of progress. That's what it takes, seat time, patience and repetition.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honestly since your just starting to mess with wheelies I would stop doing power wheelies. I do lots of clutch ups in 1st gear and can do them easily and ride them out for a bit. But one thing I cant get over about power wheelies are they feel out of control because you are accelerating the whole time your wheel is off the ground. Super easy to go 12 o clock and end up on the ground. At least with a clutch up you have more control on the throttle and more time to react if things go south. Cover the rear brake always.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Awesome guys. Thank you. So clutch up wheelies are easier then power? Im a little sketched on the clutch wheelie. I'll have to try it out but def don't wanna fall. I wish I had a stunt bike cause i don't wanna fuck this one up!!! And i do want a damper. Scott or Ohlins?
Either way, its a good thing to have. You can probably find a v2 or v3 scotts pretty cheap.

You should get a Honda CRF50 or Yamaha TTR-50 if you want to learn to get the basics down without messing up your daily driver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to a big empty parking lot and practice doing clutch up hops (just getting the wheel off the ground a couple of inches), when you get to where you feel comfortable and controlled doing that, start getting them higher. Slow and steady. If you do wheelies on the road you are a squid idiot, who deserves to hit a pot-hole.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The one thing I haven't seen much of is the most important: BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE

Start using the foot brake now before you end up on your ass with a trashed bike. Clutch it up, mash the brake, repeat. Do this 1000 times and you'll be good at it.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
It does just as the name implies. Have you ever been hard on the throttle and hit some rough pavement, then the bars start shaking and you crap yourself? Steering dampeners reduce that shake. All kinds of benefits. More stable at speed, turning, and low speeds.
If you get head shake just from accelerating and hitting a bump somethings wrong with your bike.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts