Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says, I've just purchased my first motorcycle. A 2007 ZX6R. It's dyno tuned with a power commander @ 125hp with a custom built complete exhaust setup. It's been wrecked before but is in very good shape now and no motor components were badly damaged in the wreck, mainly just the fairings. One of the side bumpers is missing and I don't really know where to buy just one of them, a left footpeg is already ordered due to the one on it being cracked.

Anyways I was curious as to what maintenance I should perform now, I know to never trust the previous owner. I plan on changing the oil and the filter too, having someone adjust the chain for me even though it isn't loose, and maybe running seafoam through the tank along with putting new tires on, i'm just not really sure what else. It does have a K&N air filter that i'm going to attempt to clean. Also if anyone has a good site to purchase oil filters for this bike and other parts like that please let me know. :O

I only paid 3700 for it and I can tell it's going to need some TLC. Just need a little advice at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hello and welcome. To be on the safe side do a full fluid change (oil, coolant, bleed brakes, check pads and disks etc). Clean out air filter. May as well change plugs too. As you say make sure chain is in good nick and adjusted as well as sprockets. Tyres obviously are a must (if there heavily worn or old get them changed). As for ordering things like oil filters etc I just use eBay...for oil too but obviously many stores will sell it

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
125hp my ass lol. Wtf. Let's see this proof.
Autozone exhaust tip + powahcomandah = instant ama race bike bud, everyone knows that :laugh

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
You say you don't trust the previous owner, but you took his word when he said it had 125hp??

What's your story? Riding experience? How about knowledge on maintaining motorcycles? You may be better off taking it to a reputable shop and have them look it over.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea that thing definitely doesn't make 125HP. The 636 doesn't even make that on simple mods like what this bike has. Take it to a shop and get it checked out top to bottom by someone who knows what they are looking at. Also take those mirrors off and set them on fire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also I hate to break it to you but I think I can see a factory CAT sitting down there on the bottom of the bike which would make it a slip on exhaust with a factory header, not a full exhaust.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's been wrecked before but is in very good shape now and no motor components were badly damaged in the wreck.
You may be better off taking it to a reputable shop and have them look it over.
Take it to a shop and get it checked out top to bottom by someone who knows what they are looking at. Also take those mirrors off and set them on fire.
How do you know there was no damage? Did someone check it out before you bought it? You should have had someone look at it already knowing it was in a wreck. Its easy for sellers to leave out certain information when trying to sell or get new parts and try to cover up signs of a wreck or how bad a wreck. I mean, what kind of wreck was it in? If you haven't had it looked at then thats probably the best thing you can do going forward. Id listen to these guys and take it to a shop. It'd be a bad time to find out somethings wrong when your going 100.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Looks like a nice bike to me, especially for $3700. May have some problems but for that price still seems like a decent deal. The 2007 is really good looking to me (minus those hideous mirrors which, like the above poster said, should be immediately burned)...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I also think it's a very nice looking bike. Ditch the mirrors and the red chain and it's on like donkey kong.

Swap out the oil, coolant and brake fluid. Don't worry about the HP numbers, there is no way that thing is running 125 HP. If you're happy with it all is good.

jimundascores

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also think it's a very nice looking bike. Ditch the mirrors and the red chain and it's on like donkey kong.

Swap out the oil, coolant and brake fluid. Don't worry about the HP numbers, there is no way that thing is running 125 HP. If you're happy with it all is good.

jimundascores
Him being happy with it doesn't apply to the safety and reliability of the bike. With a minimal knowledge base about motorcycles and maintenance he could be overlooking something significant because he is too excited to be on his first bike. All isn't good if he is doing 75mph down the highway and something breaks throwing him off sending him sliding down the road. When dealing with a wrecked bike you need to get it checked out by a professional top to bottom to ensure safety to prevent personal injury and to identify anything that needs to be fixed so that he doesn't end up with a $3,500.00, 400lb paperweight sitting in his garage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's really not that complicated, and I agree that he should have someone take a look at it (torque shit down and what not). However, it looks like a nice bike so stop shitting on him.

jimundascores
I didn't shit on him. All I said was to get it looked at by a professional to look for things like the frame being tweaked or a damn wheel axel that is about to fall off and things like that. The mirrors are the only thing I commented on about the bike itself.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I didn't shit on him. All I said was to get it looked at by a professional to look for things like the frame being tweaked or a damn wheel axel that is about to fall off and things like that. The mirrors are the only thing I commented on about the bike itself.
That's obvious advice for anyone that buys a bike second hand.

I wasn't specifically calling you out for shitting on his purchase, so relax.

jimundascores

Edit: Thank you for your service in the military.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts