Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve owned 3 07/08 zx6rs, 2 of the 3 have had holes in the tanks. The holes where right under the brackets for the plastics that cover the bottom of the tank. To me it looks like some one put the wrong size bolt in and tightened down so hard it popped holes in the tank on either side. Has any one else had this issue ? Is it common or am I just good at buy bikes with gas tank issues ?

The pictures included the bracket I’m talking about that people pop a hole in the tank through is circled. Second photo is when I drilled off said brackets to repair the tank. the Second or middle hole is the hole that was made with a bolt and caused the whole tank to leak like crazy

Attachments

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Haven't heard of this as a common problem. Not once since I've been on this site.

Could that be from crash damage? Does that point extend past the frame? Where the head of the bolt would be?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My 2017 ZX10 has similar design. It uses shorter than normal fairing bolts in that location and I’ve often thought how easy it would be to grab the normal sized fairing bolts and end up doing what happened to you. Of course, you’d have to be pretty dumb on the torque to do that.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
You'd be surprised how many times I have seen people use too long of bolts on these fuel tank tabs......... 250 ninja's, some years of the zx6, fz07's, fz09's and a few other bikes have all come in with them leaking out where someone installed too long of bolt and essentially drilled a hole into the fuel tank.........

upside, you can get that spot welded or even solder that shut without issue although it looks like your tab is broken too...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't heard of this as a common problem. Not once since I've been on this site.

Could that be from crash damage? Does that point extend past the frame? Where the head of the bolt would be?
Not crash damage. That tab is basically where your knee rests on the tank while riding the bike. I had a non crashed bike that had the same leak spot.
Apparently the fairing bolt for that one plastic is exactly the same as the other bolts just slightly shorter so if mixed up and then tightened too hard will pop a hole in the tank. (Based off what I just learned)
I just thought it was so bizarre both bikes from different areas of the country with the same leak spots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd be surprised how many times I have seen people use too long of bolts on these fuel tank tabs......... 250 ninja's, some years of the zx6, fz07's, fz09's and a few other bikes have all come in with them leaking out where someone installed too long of bolt and essentially drilled a hole into the fuel tank.........

upside, you can get that spot welded or even solder that shut without issue although it looks like your tab is broken too...
Yeah I had drilled the tab off not knowing the hole would be so simple. The tab is in good shape and will be wielded back on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2017 ZX10 has similar design. It uses shorter than normal fairing bolts in that location and I’ve often thought how easy it would be to grab the normal sized fairing bolts and end up doing what happened to you. Of course, you’d have to be pretty dumb on the torque to do that.
That’s what I thought. But I guess some people really are that stupid. I bought both my bikes with that weird hole in the tank. And both from other sides of the country one from Arizona one from Georgia

·
Registered
600 Posts
Common sense is not a common virtue, you would think if someone used too long of a bolt that they would stop and assess the situation if the bolt got tight but wasn't actually tight yet. Nope, people keep on turning until they poke a hole in the tank. Happens on the 1st gen ZX10's as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Literally dealing with this issue on my bike right now. Fml. And it was my mistake as well. Hand tightening it and grabbed the wrong bolt. Popped through like butter. What’s the best approach to fix this??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts