Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as it states in the title, i just bought a zx7r, and the bike is great, but it seems that i need to give it a lot more "hmph" to go from 1st to 2nd. (im coming from a 300cc so im not too familiar with sport bikes) it also kinda clunks going from neutral to 1st like if im at a stop light. it's not a loud clunk, but it's very audible that i shifted from neutral to 1st. not too sure if this is a skill issue or normal with these bikes

· Registered
2005 ZZR-600
72 Posts
Is the bike high mileage?
Sometimes the fingers of the clutch basket get worn and the clutch doesn’t release as cleanly as it should.

But mostly try RJ2112’s suggestions first.

· Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
If the first things don’t get it sorted, I would take a hard look at the cable, and the lever pivots. Until everything is running free and true, I would hesitate to go deeper.

Going from neutral to first , it’s fairly normal to get a clunk sound. The intentional slop between the slots and dogs on the gear set are all relatively small, but when you shift into first all of the slop is taken out at the same time. Makes for a bigger noise. It’s also true that a 750 is using bigger, stronger gears than a much smaller lower hp 300 would. That contributes to volume.

· Registered
2005 ZX-6R Magma Red, 2021 ZX-6R Pearl Nightshade Teal
319 Posts
My 05 and 21 both "clunk" into first, my dad's 2001 Zx11 is a harder clunk, it's normal behavior. Unless it's grinding or making a crunching sound your fine, a clunk is normal though

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
My 05 and 21 both "clunk" into first, my dad's 2001 Zx11 is a harder clunk, it's normal behavior. Unless it's grinding or making a crunching sound your fine, a clunk is normal though
Yea every bike I get on has some sort of clunk. Like rj said bigger bikes bigger gears bigger clunk. The zx14”s have a very noticeable clunk. Almost like it’s warning you that it’s gonna kick your ass lol.

· Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
The loudest 'clunk' (more of a 'THOCK') when shifting into gear I ever heard was when putting HD into first. That was in the 80's, very agricultural sounding. Comforting in a way, because you KNEW you were on a mechanical thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts