Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike from a friend yesterday, first ride I noticed a almost constant miss. It's been sitting for about 2 years, and had old gas in it. He changed the oil, cleaned the gas tank, and put a new battery in it before selling it to me. I plan on changing the oil again after a few miles to make sure it's clean, changing the air filter, and plugs. He told me he thought it had to be re-mapped after changing the spark plugs. Is there any truth to that, and is there anything else I should do while I have it taken apart? Thanks in advance, James.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It doesn't need to be remapped after changing plugs.

If it IS missing and the new plugs dont make a difference, Check your ignition coils for shorts.

If he was messing around in the battery area, maybe he tugged on a coil and it just needs to be pushed back down? Or maybe a wire got pulled or pinched?

That's where I would start

Reactions: James S

·
Registered
13,573 Posts
Got the bike from a friend yesterday, first ride I noticed a almost constant miss. It's been sitting for about 2 years, and had old gas in it. He changed the oil, cleaned the gas tank, and put a new battery in it before selling it to me. I plan on changing the oil again after a few miles to make sure it's clean, changing the air filter, and plugs. He told me he thought it had to be re-mapped after changing the spark plugs. Is there any truth to that, and is there anything else I should do while I have it taken apart? Thanks in advance, James.
Welcome, James.

First thing you need to do, is download the shop manual for your bike, from this site. Knowledge is power. Many headaches can be fixed at very little cost -- some cannot be, but this is how you figure out which is which.

If you are pulling the plugs, I would suggest you do a compression check as you are already that far into the bike. I don't know how good of a friend you have there..... plugs have nothing to do with how the ECU is mapped.

If he left old fuel in the tank, and cleaned it before he sold it to you, what does the inside of the tank look like? Shine a flashlight in there and see.

If the bike has sat for two years with stale gas, it's a pretty sure bet the chain hasn't had any love either. How much rust is on there?

What do the brake rotors look like? What does the brake fluid look like? If you can see it, it's bad. If it looks like Iced tea or darker, it could very well have already damged the calipers.

Since you have the tank off, you might as well do the engine coolant as well.

Look closely at the tires, and make sure they are road worthy. you should also take a good look at the forks and the rear shock and see if they are leaking anything.

Even more important than all of that, is to make sure you are properly protecting yourself. What sort of riding gear do you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off thanks for the fast responses and advice, I really appreciate it. He's a good friend of mine, and offered to refund my money if it ended up being a major problem. I found, and downloaded the service manual. He replaced the front sprocket and chain as well, forgot to mention that earlier. I did notice the brake fluid needs to be changed, I'm going to go ahead with the new plugs, cooling system flush, and new air filter. I know for a fact the bike was running perfect before he parked it, I'm almost positive the problem is either a dirty injector(s) and or plugs. I didn't think changing the plugs was going to affect the ecu, but wanted to make sure before I touched it. Going to pick up parts today, will let you know how it turns out, thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

Changed the spark plugs today, and it runs like a scalded ape! They were pretty rough looking, and a pain in the ass to get out, but totally worth it. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome, James.

First thing you need to do, is download the shop manual for your bike, from this site. Knowledge is power. Many headaches can be fixed at very little cost -- some cannot be, but this is how you figure out which is which.

If you are pulling the plugs, I would suggest you do a compression check as you are already that far into the bike. I don't know how good of a friend you have there..... plugs have nothing to do with how the ECU is mapped.

If he left old fuel in the tank, and cleaned it before he sold it to you, what does the inside of the tank look like? Shine a flashlight in there and see.

If the bike has sat for two years with stale gas, it's a pretty sure bet the chain hasn't had any love either. How much rust is on there?

What do the brake rotors look like? What does the brake fluid look like? If you can see it, it's bad. If it looks like Iced tea or darker, it could very well have already damged the calipers.

Since you have the tank off, you might as well do the engine coolant as well.

Look closely at the tires, and make sure they are road worthy. you should also take a good look at the forks and the rear shock and see if they are leaking anything.

Even more important than all of that, is to make sure you are properly protecting yourself. What sort of riding gear do you have?
Good advise my man..

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,128 Posts
Reactions: James S
1 - 10 of 10 Posts