Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My front brakes are getting a bit jumpy. (04 636) When I squeeze the brake, instead of one nice braking action, the brake lever jumps in 5mm increments. No matter how gingerly I pull on the lever, it either doesnt move, or all of a sudden moves a bunch and my balls mash the tank.

I just want to know which areas need cleaning/replacing. No I haven't done anyhting to the bike yet (bought it at 8k miles) it came this way. Does the fluid need to be changed... is there an air bubble, does the lever need oiling... are the calipers or dust rings or sealant rings fkd?

Thanks
Chris

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
i dunno but ball mashing is bad.

help will come im sure.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bleed the lines...

·
Registered
215 Posts
not sure what it could be
but when i had my zxr750 j1 front discs were warped and had the same thing happening
but personally start with the easy stuff bleed brakes

·
Registered
99 Posts
sounds to me like something jacked up pretty good in the master cylinder but yes to all the cheap/free stuff first, bleed the lines. does it still do the "click" thing at a stand still or is it only when you're moving?

·
Registered
590 Posts
it sounds like your rotor(s) are warped. Does the pulsing increments get slower and faster according to speed? First thing i would do is check the quality of the fluid and then bleed the brakes just to make sure that isnt it, but usually those things wouldnt cause that. And if the problem is still around, you need rotors.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If your lever is sticking lube it! before ever race weekend I'd lube my levers on the race bike because crap like that happens!

Now if your levers are lubed then it may time for a total break job.. Id replace the rotors, bleed the breaks, and new pads.. I'd have the breaks bled by a pro if your not one to do this type of work.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
From your description I vote lever lubing.

Not just the pivot, lube where it actually pushes on the master cyliner piston. The area between the lever pad and piston rod.

If the lever was moving in and out after the brakes were applied I'd go with warped rotors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think sticking on a front stand and spinning the wheel whilst watching the disc will show you pretty quick if they are warped......... cheaper than brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
all of a sudden moves a bunch and my balls mash the tank.

i hear ya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool yo

Cool, k, I'm gunna try and lube both the parts of the lever, the pad/cylinder interface, and the pivot point. If it still sucks, then I'll do the brake bleading after that.

Its not pulsating ie due to warped pads or rotors, I've had thoes before and its a repetative pulse you can feel that matches the position on the rotors. New pads and rotors normally fixes that as I've done that once before on my Ninja250.

Thanks for the replies N great suggestions

·
Registered
553 Posts
Change the fluid and bleed the hell out of it. See if it still does it, you could have a bad brake line as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts