Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike hasnt been able to start. at one point the battery was dead, so i charged it. i just tested the voltage and its at 12.15 with the bike on just sitting...then it drops all the way down to 7.63 when i try to start it. does this mean the battery is defective and isnt putting out enough to start the bike? if so, would it still not be able to start even if i tried jumping it? meaning theres some othet issue. because i tried to jump start it and got the same results. ive included a video of the sound it makes when i try to start it, doesnt even crank at all

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Well your battery is bad or it is not fully charged

if you do try and jump start it, make sure whatever battery source you use is not in another vehicel that is running!!! you can jump from your car battery but not when the car is running!!!!!!!!

But since your battery is bad already (seems this way- but you could charge it on a real charger for about an hour and then let cool/rest for a few hours and have it load tested) , I would buy a new one for your motorcycle and see if you get a better result......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

if you do try and jump start it, make sure whatever battery source you use is not in another vehicel that is running!!! you can jump from your car battery but not when the car is running!!!!!!!!

But since your battery is bad already (seems this way- but you could charge it on a real charger for about an hour and then let cool/rest for a few hours and have it load tested) , I would buy a new one for your motorcycle and see if you get a better result......
so just to clarify, if the battery IS bad, then even jumping the bike wldnt work? i thought that even if the battery was dead, then jumping it wld give the battery enough juice to atleast start it. is that incorrect?

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
If your battery is more than 5 years old, it's the most likely suspect. Odd things happen at the end of life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your battery is more than 5 years old, it's the most likely suspect. Odd things happen at the end of life.
its not...its like 3 months old tops. at one point when i bought the bike..the guy was trying to get the bike to start and didnt have something plugged in and drained the brand new battery. but it was charged and good to go after. that was months ago tho.

·
Registered
177 Posts
so just to clarify, if the battery IS bad, then even jumping the bike wldnt work? i thought that even if the battery was dead, then jumping it wld give the battery enough juice to atleast start it. is that incorrect?
If it’s fuel injected, you have to have enough juice to power that.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
There are bikes that will start with a dead battery installed and jump or bump starting then run off the charging system...... but not many "modern" bikes will as many a dead or bad battery will just suck up everything the charging system can put out and have nothing for the bike to power all its electrical needs...

You have zero to lose hooking up jumper cables to your car or truck (NOT RUNNING!!!) and see if you bike atleast cranks over, it may start it may not....

You likewise have nothing to lose by simply hooking your battery up to a 2a or 4a or even 6amp charger and letting the charger run wild on its ass for 45 minutes........ worst that can happen is the bad or low battery is done in completely, but it already doesn't work so nothing lost but your efforts......

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
23 Posts

What's wrong with the source vehicle running? I've always jumped with the jumper vehicle running because I was taught this way when I grew up in a cold climate. It always works for me.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
A bike's regulator will burn up, because the alternator output from the running auto will provide far too much current/power.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
What's wrong with the source vehicle running? I've always jumped with the jumper vehicle running because I was taught this way when I grew up in a cold climate. It always works for me.

becasue a car or truck has way too much output for your puny motorcycle components!!!!!!!!

but hey.... go ahead and find out for yourself, don't take my word for it............I've only been working on motorcycles professionally for 40 fucking years.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts