Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

After not getting much use over the winter I noticed my bike wasn't running quite right so figured I'd give it a bash and clean the carbs (first time I've done this). I opened up the carbs and they were pretty much spotless so I didn't strip them fully and chose to just clean the jets and floats up with some carb cleaner (I removed everything i could in the float chamber and the pilot screws then cleaned them but i did not open up the chambers with the diaphragms). The pilot jets were the only things which were a little clogged.

Now that I have put everything back together it wont accelerate without spluttering like mad from around 4,000 revs. No doubt i have done something wrong but i don't know where to start. (not sure if it matters but just to note, it revs fine when its in neutral)

The only adjustments i made were:
1. One of the floats adjustments (I was basically trying to get an understanding of how they work) but i believe i left this as i found it as it was still dropping to the same position as it was before i changed it.

2. The pilot screws, they were all originally 3 - 3.5 turns out from where they started to nip so i turned them all out to 3.5.

I haven't balanced the carbs yet so this also may be an issue. I am planning on following the instructions on how to make a manometer (seems simple enough) once i solve this issue but figured there's no point yet because if i cant sort this out then its off the the garage to get it all done.

Please help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update, I have just stripped it down and opened everything back up again. I made some slight alterations to the float i altered and turned all the pilot screws in 1 turn. This has helped massively and it now runs a lot better. It is still missing slightly between 7-9,000 revs but only a little, would this be fixed when I balance the carbs or is there still some tweaking required?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts