Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've had my zx6r a couple of months and it was amazing. It handled perfectly. As good as my r1!

Anyway last Sunday I went on a ride with friends and as we were coming down the mountain the road is pretty bad and the bike was kicking up at my from. The rear so hard I honestly thought it would injure my spine.

So. When I got home I went to the sportsrider suspension page and copied down the settings for my bike. Usually there settings are amazing.

I did not take any notes of what the suspension settings were as I was convinced I didn't need to because the sportsrider ones would be ace.

They were horrible. Usually the bike was hard and leant in perfectly and took Any corner on rails. Now it's wobbly and doesn't turn in.

One more thing. The little adjuster on the top of the forks the one with the flat screwdriver, the right one is a bit mangled and doesn't have as much range as the left. This was the previous owner. So I've just screwed them so they are the same height above the forks.

I don't think this is the main issue but worth a mention.

I have tried going to the stock settings too which are no good.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
So as far as the rebound damper rod adjuster...........

The reason one is different than the other is because someone at some point changed fork seals and did not know what they were doing.........

from ma kaw there would have been 3.5 turns total available..............most suspension places make it so there is 3 turns available of totoal adjustment

How many turns available for the right? How many turns available for the left?

As far as the rest..........

What are your sag numbers? static sag? rider sag?

Where do you have all the rebound and compression dampening settings at?--front and rear?

Do you kno what springs are on the bike?

When was the last time the suspension was refreshed?

Is it all still stock suspension components? or aftermarket?

Bike lowered?

steering head bearings are good or you haven't checked?

what about the tires and tire pressures?

etc
etc
etc

Reactions: RJ2112 and MrZ

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to adjust the rebound range without taking the forks off of the bike? Ie just loosen the cap of the fork and adjust the nut so I get the correct rebound clicks on the right hand fork?

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Luke,

I would think you can adjust compression, rebound and spring pre-load, all without removing the fork legs from the clamps. Sometimes the third adjustment is at the lower end of the fork leg.... not sure which ones are where on your '06.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the rebound range without taking the forks off of the bike? Ie just loosen the cap of the fork and adjust the nut so I get the correct rebound clicks on the right hand fork?
yes, but you still need a spring compressor to get the cap and nut seperate to loosen/adjust/tighten

Luke,

I would think you can adjust compression, rebound and spring pre-load, all without removing the fork legs from the clamps. Sometimes the third adjustment is at the lower end of the fork leg.... not sure which ones are where on your '06.
he is asking a different question..........His are assembled improperly, the adjusters are set wrong internally fucking up how much adjustemnt there is externally.......... He needs to get inside to cure that

Reactions: Visk636 and RJ2112

·
Director of Moderation
7,380 Posts
If all was well and then all of a sudden bike feels like crap, I'm guessing something else is wrong.

Regarding the difference in number of clicks for the rebound, do what rivers said. I've had that problem twice before, both times being when I took my forks to a shop for service. Hence I've been doing it myself ever since. Personally I find it much easier to do that work with the fork off and putting it in a vise rather than on the bike. Some day I'll get myself a spring compressor, but so far I've managed without one well enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If all was well and then all of a sudden bike feels like crap, I'm guessing something else is wrong.

Regarding the difference in number of clicks for the rebound, do what rivers said. I've had that problem twice before, both times being when I took my forks to a shop for service. Hence I've been doing it myself ever since. Personally I find it much easier to do that work with the fork off and putting it in a vise rather than on the bike. Some day I'll get myself a spring compressor, but so far I've managed without one well enough.
Had the seals done on my 2008 zx6r and when j got em back and forks i stalled felt like i was riden a see saw, had all my settings out of whack and dif. Honest i think i could have used new springs also and wish they would have mentioned it when they had em apart. Live and learn, next time i will be doing my own also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts