Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy bought this bucket of shit and we've been doing some work to it for about the last 6 weeks. It's a decent bike but being 30 years old it needed to get some stuff taken care of.

Here are parts 1 and 2 on a video series I'm doing on it. Hope ya have some laughs and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You and your friend are brave men to tackle a restoration of a Kan-O-Tuna. They were always the bastard red headed step child of the sportbike crowd. The motor is based off of the previous generation Gixxer. Suzuki never really did right by them. They were horribly heavy, and a bit of a parts bin bike. If they had only invested a bit more, they might have been viable option as a less severe Gixxer line, maybe something like a 600/900 option(s) to Honda's cult-classic VFR 750F, especially the 900 version.

I'm always happy to see an 'old dog' shown a bit of luv, and given a second life. Good on you lads. You're not gonna get rich on this type of project, but I'll wager the two of you had a few laughs, learned a few things - if even not what to do - then the time spent sharing a few brews together would be well worth the effort.

:cheers

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You and your friend are brave men to tackle a restoration of a Kan-O-Tuna. They were always the bastard red headed step child of the sportbike crowd. The motor is based off of the previous generation Gixxer. Suzuki never really did right by them. They were horribly heavy, and a bit of a parts bin bike. If they had only invested a bit more, they might have been viable option as a less severe Gixxer line, maybe something like a 600/900 option(s) to Honda's cult-classic VFR 750F, especially the 900 version.

I'm always happy to see an 'old dog' shown a bit of luv, and given a second life. Good on you lads. You're not gonna get rich on this type of project, but I'll wager the two of you had a few laughs, learned a few things - if even not what to do - then the time spent sharing a few brews together would be well worth the effort.

:cheers
Honestly this has been more of a learning project for my friend. He's new to bikes in general and bought this thing for $550. We didn't even know if it'd run. First weekend was all about getting it fired up and running ok. He's probably put about 3000 miles on it since getting it and it's been running great until the head and cylinder gaskets decided they were done and puked oil all over the front of the engine. So we started to tear into it since it's his only mode of transportation at the moment. Hit the record button on the cameras and went to work!

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
you no doubt will make more monies off of youtube hits than that bike

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you no doubt will make more monies off of youtube hits than that bike
Considering this was more of a "here's how to work on your own bike" kind of deal with a friend, that's why the videos got made :laugh When it puked oil out the front of the motor I was like "well I can't watch this kid sulk like this.... I better do something."

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Considering this was more of a "here's how to work on your own bike" kind of deal with a friend, that's why the videos got made :laugh When it puked oil out the front of the motor I was like "well I can't watch this kid sulk like this.... I better do something."

You are a good man. I mean that with as much respect as I can possibly impart over a digital medium. You gave the gift that keeps giving: you imbued confidence in your friend; you gave selflessly of your time and knowledge. I know how special that is - your friend might feel thankful now, but later when he reflects on these times together, solving a real dilemma he will feel blessed!

I remember spending time with my father & my uncles in my dad's shop - which was bigger than my current home. The myriad of things I learnt & the number of quality tools that I inherited from him, are debts I cannot repay (since they're deceased). Except to pass it on as you are doing; one day it will be his turn to pass in on, and your legacy lives on in others even if they never are aware of it. That's the real Magic that makes many motorcyclist just that n-th degree Special. We are part of a fraternal brotherhood of 'Motorcyclists.':nerd

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are a good man. I mean that with as much respect as I can possibly impart over a digital medium. You gave the gift that keeps giving: you imbued confidence in your friend; you gave selflessly of your time and knowledge. I know how special that is - your friend might feel thankful now, but later when he reflects on these times together, solving a real dilemma he will feel blessed!

I remember spending time with my father & my uncles in my dad's shop - which was bigger than my current home. The myriad of things I learnt & the number of quality tools that I inherited from him, are debts I cannot repay (since they're deceased). Except to pass it on as you are doing; one day it will be his turn to pass in on, and your legacy lives on in others even if they never are aware of it. That's the real Magic that makes many motorcyclist just that n-th degree Special. We are part of a fraternal brotherhood of 'Motorcyclists.':nerd
Thanks man.... those are some of the kindest words someone has said to me on here.

Aaaannnndddd..... I'm rendering part 3 now so I'll post the video in a bit. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Enjoyed watching the videos!
Hope to see more

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Enjoyed watching the videos!
Hope to see more
I'll be doing more vids however this particular bike has been sold!

My buddy sold it to a kid wanting a new bike. He had bought and paid for a 2001 SV650S we have here, but it needed parts. My friend told the kid he'd fix the bike and he could take it. After a few weeks of no parts I asked if he thought this kid would take a running Katana and he went for it. Took the Katana and we got the SV running like a champ. So the Kanatuna is gone and we're on to V-twins for my friend now lol.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fun vid to watch was hoping to see the finished product
I'll check and see if I have the last part of the video. I started editing some but can't remember what I finished. :D Attached some pics though.... day we got it home. About 2 weeks after getting it home and getting it running. Then after the top end and paint. (you can see the SV we end up fixing up in the background of the first pic.)

I really like your videos man. Funny, informative, and well put together. Nice work!
Thanks brotha!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

When we got this bike the owner said it needed a starter. So we picked up a new starter relay ($10) and scrounged some parts to rebuild the starter ($10). Fixed a fork seal ($10). For a bike we picked up for $450. So for a total of about $480 we now have a bike that's damn near perfect and could be sold for twice that. :D But he's keepin' this one for now. Time for some track days!

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK... seems I did do most of the last part (part 4) so I'm finishing it up and I'll render it down this morning. Should be up in a bit.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's part 4 of the Katana

And the beginning of what would have become a video if the footage wasn't shot while we were having far too much fun. And there's another video of the same thing already done anyway :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts