Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i never use my rear brake, so i want to take everything to do with the rear brake off the bike.rotor,caliper etc. i want to do this cause i think it will look clean, bike will be lighter and it will accelerate faster.will there be any downside besides not having a rear brake?

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
only having ~70% of the potential stopping power you used to have.

not being able to trail brake

not being able to hold the rear brake while starting on a hill

if someone slashes your front brake line, you won't be able to stop without unpleasant means

a porcupine could run out of the forest and sprint towards your rear wheel and, if you'd had the rear rotor on, it would have ran into it and bounced back, but because the rotor was off, it ran straight through the wheel and got smashed between your swing arm and spokes and the exploding porcupine could shoot spikes straight into tires causing you to not be able to turn and (because you dont have 100% of your bikes initial stopping power), you wouldn't be able to stop before launching off a massive plateau but landing on your wheels and racking yourself so horribly you stab yourself with a spike from the flat tire in the eyes to take your mind off the man-parts pain.

The choice could go either way.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ahhh I rarely use my rear break however the point of losing your front breaks and having your rear break in reserve is no joke! I lost my front breaks one time and did not have good working rear breaks and as a result I crashed. If I had working back breaks I would not have crashed. Lesson learned at 19.. Boy I was stupid back then...

Also Caribou like to eat the front break lines off of ZX6r's

·
Registered
156 Posts
I rarely use my rear too but I keep it.

What you're asking is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What is it with people not using their rear brake?

FYI: touch the rear brake before you entre a corner and feel the bike settle down, rather than grap the front alone and feel the bike dive forward, using a touch of the rear into a corner will make the bike more stable in the corner and allow you to corner faster!

But hey, what do I know? Only been riding for 15 odd years....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yep what Josh636 said is very true.

Even if you were to remove your rear brake you really wouldn't gain much of anything.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
FYI: touch the rear brake before you entre a corner and feel the bike settle down, rather than grap the front alone and feel the bike dive forward, using a touch of the rear into a corner will make the bike more stable in the corner and allow you to corner faster!
+1

I was taught this by my Q-Ride instructor and now I drag my brake through every corner. He said it lengthens the bike. I don't know wtf people are talking about when they say it's a bad thing to do. Next time you hit some bumpy stuff at full lean on a corner just drag your rear brake a touch and the bike will feel a lot more planted.

I don't use my rear brake for anything besides dragging and hill starts, but even if I didn't use it at all, removing it is a bad idea. It was put there for a reason and in an emergency situation I have no doubt you'll regret removing it when you're ploughing into the back of a car at 50mph!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bad idea. My buddy thought the same thing you are and it was not a pretty sight. He had a front tire blowout and no rear brake to stop him. Ended up hitting freeway barracade at about 60mph.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think it's just a style, and learning thing. I don't use my rear break much because I was taught not to use it and so I adapted to that style. I also started riding when tires sucked so bad that if you even thought about scrubbing off speed with the back break you found your self stepping the rear out. There are Times when I'm entering a corner and I'll trail it a bit but once I'm it too deep I'm back on the gas and off any breaking. As for settling the bike down.. I settle the bike with the throttle on the gas, I'm used to having the bike dance all around so I never really found a use to settle the bike down I just let it do its thing and hang on. I also get my breaking done early so I'm back on the gas in the beginning of the corner. For the people who have learned to use the rear break that's cool and I'm sure it adds to their riding experience but I don't think it one of those things you have to do unless your trying to shave off hundredths of a sec from your lap times.

Here is my thinking.. I break Hard into to the corner and the rear tire is barley on the ground so the back break would only stop the wheel from spinning and make the bike unstable. I'm also gearing down and controlling rear wheel engine breaking with the clutch. Once I lean the bike over I'm slowly letting off the break and getting on the gas. the only time I have found the rear break helpful is when exiting out of a corner and you want to control wheel spin or when going over a hill and you want to keep the front tire on the ground. The rear break is one of many tools that can be used to achieve the same result and other parts when breaking.

But I'm not getting played 15 million a year to ride either so I'm no expert.. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i use my rear brake all the time

keeping in mind 95% of my riding is done on car packed roads.

and the rear has saved my ass more than once when you need to slam on them brakes.

but what they said man, what if your front blows. then you be #%&@ed!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it......

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
always ues the rear when goiong for a hoon through the hills and i find it helps to get the bike stable into a nice fast corner... What about if you gotta do an emergency braking???

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I use the rear brake a lot - not so much for slowing down, but for keeping the rear end composed and setting up for turns. I really wouldn't recommend removing it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i use my rear brake all the time

keeping in mind 95% of my riding is done on car packed roads.

and the rear has saved my ass more than once when you need to slam on them brakes.

but what they said man, what if your front blows. then you be #%&@ed!
Hey I tried to answer your PM but you inbox is full.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah dude, it's retarted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts