Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
wonder if anyone could tell me if the righthand side(throttle) should be closer to the tank than the other side??

guy in work who built it said they should but i think they should be equal distance from tank
hope you can help
mikeyh

·
Registered
503 Posts
do you mean the throttle bodies or the the twist grip?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i mean the throttle tube itself
when i turn the bars to the right the right hand side is pretty close to the tank(but hits the stops)

but when i turn it the other way its abit away from the tank(hits the stops)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think mine are pretty even. Ill check tomorrow and let you know for sure. Thats if nobody else lets you know sooner.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
That doesn't sound good at all. They should be even.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take it in and have it checked over m8.There's something twisted/out of line somewhere.They should be an equal distance when on full lock and up against the stops.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Anyone checked theirs or just presumed they would be equal :dowhat It's not uncommon to have an unequal gap between the tank and the bars at full lock.

Any luck with yours sicks36?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've just gone and physically checked my B1H now - THEY ARE EQUAL DISTANCE FROM TANK ON FULL LOCK!!!
Sounds like one of the following (in ascending order of badness!):
1. Clip-on not secured in right place - easy fix!
2. Forks twisted in yokes, again a relatively easy fix.
3. Bent Clip-on - get it straightened or buy a new one. Look on Ebay.
4. Bike has been down the road and got a twisted frame - fingers crossed mate it's not that! Not the end of the world and nothing a quality bike engineer couldn't sort out in a frame jig, but LOTS of labour charges.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
little info the bike was involved in a head on smash with a fence lol

its had a new frame and forks i thout maybe they were out of aline or something like that
cant post pics up not got a way to do it here at work

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just gone and physically checked my B1H now - THEY ARE EQUAL DISTANCE FROM TANK ON FULL LOCK!!!
Sounds like one of the following (in ascending order of badness!):
1. Clip-on not secured in right place - easy fix!
2. Forks twisted in yokes, again a relatively easy fix.
3. Bent Clip-on - get it straightened or buy a new one. Look on Ebay.
4. Bike has been down the road and got a twisted frame - fingers crossed mate it's not that! Not the end of the world and nothing a quality bike engineer couldn't sort out in a frame jig, but LOTS of labour charges.....
when you say clip ons what are these??

anyone near me(edinburgh)fancy a quick check for me cheers

·
Registered
503 Posts
Clip-ons are the actual handle bars themselves mate.
If you're bike has had a NEW frame, i'd be VERY suprised. That usually would make it a write off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got it from a mates mate lol

had a load of new bits i just thought he`d maybe not rebuilt it right
so maybe the forks are out of align

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sounds like the Forks probably ARE just twisted in the yokes or Clip-on bent.
Hope so anyway........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so its one of 2 things

how would i check
im used to cars lol and motocross biie just need a thump lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok just ordered a second hand clip on ill get that on the see what happens after that
cheers guys

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd personally start with making sure the forks were straight in the yokes. T o do this: you'll need to support front of bike with either a front paddock stand that attaches under the bottom yoke or you can, carefully, use a block of wood under the sump and jack it up with a trolley jack / car jack. Then loosen off all the retaining bolts on upper and lower yokes (if you haven't supported bike at this stage, it's gonna fall flat on it's nose!!!) and loosen off clip-ons too. Then stand facing bike with front wheel between your legs and twist it all straight. SIMPLE! Tighten it all up again and re-check your throttle distance compared to other side.
If it's still un-equal, you'll have to whip off your throttle, front brake and switch gear to look at clip-on more closely. If it's obviously / badly bent i'd just suck it up and buy a new / replacement one. If it's not TOO bad you may be able to GENTLY straighten it.
Hope that helps!
By the way, i'm no mechanic so you might want to enlist the help of someone more qualified than me for advice!!!!!
If it helps put your mind at rest though, when i had my G2 ZX6R, i binned it at Cadwell Park, (DON'T ASK!) and i had to do all the above too. I ended up having to buy a replacement clip-on. Got a pair off ebay for a tenner. BARGAIN!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah im pretty good with bike had to straighten my motocross handlebars straight a few times.

ill be back soon after iv tried it later on today

1 - 20 of 32 Posts