Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious because my scorpion helmet recently broke and i want a better helmet i was going to go with the icon airframe for $300. Then the guy at the store was telling me all this great things about a shoei (hope I'm spelling that right) and whys its better for $100 dollars more i was wondering someones opinion that inset a sales man is it worth the extra hundred or is he just trying to get me to buy a expensive helmet. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The only brand i will put on my head is shoei. it will absorb and disperse energy better then icon. shoei is worth every penny. i wrecked a few years back. went down low side with an icon, had a bad concussion and i couldnt walk straight after the crash.. i wrecked again a few months later with a shoei. i went high side and thrown off the bike. got up and walked away just fine.

which model shoei are you thinkin about getting? i have the RF1100, x eleven and x twelve? im most happy with the x twelve, less drag at high speeds = less neck fatique

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Iv never had the pleasure of owning a Shoei, But I'm sure there better than Scorpion.
But for less than $400.00 you can find deals on Sharks, AGV's & Bell helmets.(all better than the scorpion)
Id do a net search before I paid $400.00 big @ the dealer.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Wear both of them on ur head.. Decide which one u like better.. They will fit u head differently... I personally don't like the way shoei fit my head.. I like arai and my bell star...

U will hear a lot of people say bell's are Walmart pieces of junk... I usually stop listening to anything else they say because I know from that point forward that they are ignorant and know didley jack..

·
Registered
761 Posts
where in texas are you located? i bought my 09 ninja from team mancusso in houston!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wear both of them on ur head.. Decide which one u like better.. They will fit u head differently... I personally don't like the way shoei fit my head.. I like arai and my bell star...

U will hear a lot of people say bell's are Walmart pieces of junk... I usually stop listening to anything else they say because I know from that point forward that they are ignorant and know didley jack..
Bell has released some good quality helmets in the last 5 years or so. walmart only sells the low end Bell models.

and yes, if shoei doesnt feel comfortable on your head, an arai will. shoei fit better for people with long heads. arai fit better for people with wide heads... i dont know why, its just the design of their lids.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The Bell RS1 is the best sub-$400 helmet around...read all the magazine and motorcycle parts store reviews...I have the matte black one and it looks freaking amazing

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I had a shoei when I first started hated it. Then went and tried on a arai loved it till I saw the price. Now I own a icon and love it. The fit is great. All helmets have to meet a Dot and snell spec. So as long as you see those two stickers on the helmet then get whatever fits your melon best. In my opinion the fit is the most critical part of the helmet. Moto was the icon helmet fitted properly?

But at the end any helmet is better then no helmet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
One salesman told me (doesn't apply here probably) that one of the good things about the more expensive helmets is the number of molds they have to make the helmet. This is especially important to people who wear small and extra small helmets. This is because the cheaper helmets only use one or two sizes for the molds. So an extra small helmet will have the same size shell as a large helmet which will cause more head bobble and neck fatigue.

He may have been blowing smoke, but it made sense. I guess I should have asked him to show me with some of the helmets. Me and my girlfriend were looking for a helmet for her thats' why the discussion came up about small heads.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a shoei when I first started hated it. Then went and tried on a arai loved it till I saw the price. Now I own a icon and love it. The fit is great. All helmets have to meet a Dot and snell spec. So as long as you see those two stickers on the helmet then get whatever fits your melon best. In my opinion the fit is the most critical part of the helmet. Moto was the icon helmet fitted properly?

But at the end any helmet is better then no helmet.

not ALL helmets have to meet DOT AND SNELL.
ALL helmets must meet DOT minimum if they are used for a motorcycle.
The higher end helmets have both.

also...every 5 years SNELL ups the standard. from what i hear some race tracks wont let you on if you dont have the latest SNELL ratings.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
It comes down to what FITS right and NOT how much it COST!! I love my ICON lids to me the only down thing is they are a bit heavy! Im a big dude, 5'8 245lbs so the weight of the lid doesnt affect me much, most of the peeps on this sit are 6' + and weigh less than 200 lbs, lol... Just because it cost more it doesnt make it a better helmet! my wife lowsided a couple yrs back wearing a 707 (Cycle Gear house brand helmet) and she walked away with no problem! In all honestly i prefer my 707 over my Scorpion EXO 700.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just because it cost more it doesnt make it a better helmet! .
the the 69.99 dollar BILT crap that cyclegear sells does not come close to comparison to a 570.00 dollar shoei/arai

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
look at the Bell line of helmets you can get their top of the line model the Star for under 400 bucks from sportbiketrackgear.com, and like blazen said most people think Bell is junk because they see the bike helmets at wal mart but i would put my bell up against and shoei or arai any day

·
Registered
761 Posts
One salesman told me (doesn't apply here probably) that one of the good things about the more expensive helmets is the number of molds they have to make the helmet. This is especially important to people who wear small and extra small helmets. This is because the cheaper helmets only use one or two sizes for the molds. So an extra small helmet will have the same size shell as a large helmet which will cause more head bobble and neck fatigue.

He may have been blowing smoke, but it made sense. I guess I should have asked him to show me with some of the helmets. Me and my girlfriend were looking for a helmet for her thats' why the discussion came up about small heads.
that is true...another factor that jacks up the price are the compounds used to make the shell and its ability to turn 75+lbs of impact force into 20lbs of impact force by dispersing that energy throughout the helmet.

(i sell cycle helmets part time on the weekends)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
the the 69.99 dollar bilt crap that cyclegear sells does not come close to comparison to a 570.00 dollar shoei/arai
lol.... I understand what your saying but i would pick my $50 707 over a shoei because of the fitment!!

You should re-read the first part of my original comment!!

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
^ It is true, & its one more reason I like my shark, I wear a small & there small shell is just right for me.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
not ALL helmets have to meet DOT AND SNELL.
ALL helmets must meet DOT minimum if they are used for a motorcycle.
The higher end helmets have both.

also...every 5 years SNELL ups the standard. from what i hear some race tracks wont let you on if you dont have the latest SNELL ratings.
Yep and that is why I said to look for the stickers big man. Plus being that the helmets are new the snell should be up to date.

·
Registered
761 Posts
yeah i know pop.
i was just saying that not all helmets are SNELL approved

1 - 20 of 51 Posts