Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide if the zx6r is the right bike for me. I will be traveling 700 miles in one day at the start of the summer to California where I'll live for business for 2 months and then promptly pack up and drive back to Utah at the end of a 15 week period. Would the bike hold up to so many miles in a day without any problems or over heating? Would the bike still remain reliable? Is it possible to even make the trip in a day with all the stops Id probably need? I'd only have a month of riding time on it before I left on the trip so I wouldn't be too conditioned for it. Any suggestions for me? Sorry I'm really a noob:O ️thankyou!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ummm...

This is probably among the least suitable bikes for what you want to do. It will do the 700 miles no sweat. The bike will run warm, you'll be miserable, but the bike will be absolutely rock solid (unless you get one that already has problems or something).

Unless you really want a sportbike, I'd look elsewhere. I'll be doing an 800 mile trip (over two days though) in about a month and I ride an 09 zx6r. I'll be okay, but it's certainly not the best suited or the most comfortable for such a trip. But if you want/love sportbikes, go for it! I love the zx and they're probably about as reliable as any of the other Japanese sport bikes. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The bike can handle the trip no problem. These however are not the most comfortable bike's for traveling a long distance. I would look into getting a "standard" which has a more upright riding position. Ninja EX650R or Versys EX650 (if your a newer rider) or Ninja 1000 (if your more experienced). Other makes and models that are standards: Yamaha FZ6,FZ7, FZ9 and FZ1, Suzuki V-Storm 650 or 1000. Honda CB500F or CB1000. Just some ideas for you!!

Reactions: Off Camber

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
I can't decide if the zx6r is the right bike for me. I will be traveling 700 miles in one day at the start of the summer to California where I'll live for business for 2 months and then promptly pack up and drive back to Utah at the end of a 15 week period. Would the bike hold up to so many miles in a day without any problems or over heating? Would the bike still remain reliable? Is it possible to even make the trip in a day with all the stops Id probably need? I'd only have a month of riding time on it before I left on the trip so I wouldn't be too conditioned for it. Any suggestions for me? Sorry I'm really a noob:O ️thankyou!
Ok... The bike, if in good condition will have no problem.

Personally it takes me about a week to recover from a 300 mile day. Ymmv.

If you are a total noob to riding bikes. Do yourself a favor and pick something with <50 hp. Normally I suggest one of the 250/300 class bikes, but given that you will sit on the freeway for a LONG time something with a 600 class motor is probably better.

When looking at ergonomics, upright seating position, higher bars, softer seat, luggage space, throttle lock etc are all things to look at.

Givin your destination (Utah) have you considered a dual sport? Klr650 and others? They are in roughly the same price range for a nearly perfect one, MUCH more comfortable, way longer range, much more simple to work on, and if you panic mid u-turn and go wfo it will just continue to tractor out of the corner in only a slightly faster manner(a zx will ask for a belly rub). Once you get there you can hit the dirt trails. Oh and 50+ mpg is nice as well.

I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't do that with a zx. :O some guys do ironbutt. I'm just saying I would not.

Edit: personally in my head every mile on a bike = 3-4 in a car. You just experience so much more in the same distance.

Ey3

Reactions: Off Camber

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Unless you already have the zx6r sitting at home and NO option of taking the car, I'd highly reccoment taking the car since you don't wanna live out of a backpack for 15wks or leave behind everything you bought when going back home.

If you already have to travel that far for work i doubt you can afford doing that.

I had nothing but my bike for 3yrs. in winter i had to get by with a lot of walking in up to -15F, utilizing the poor bus system in town.

So i've done plenty of 300mi trips in one day. That was my absolute max. especially since I always had a heavy backpack with me.

With that said, I know a couple CRAZY guys who crossed the country back and forth on bikes like 1998 R1 or 2009 CBR600.
Doing that in Canada means thorough planing of hopping gas stations in between vast nothings for up to a whole day of driving. Whole trip takes about 6 days one way.

Conclusion:
Don't do it!

·
Registered
618 Posts
To go that far on a sport bike I would want raised clipons and lowered pegs as well as a comfy seat. By the time you spend that dough making it a faired standard, might as well have just bought a standard. They make them with the same power and handling. Example: triumph street triple r.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As mentioned above, any type of sports bike will literally destroy you if ridden over extensive periods of time. For the past three years, I have used two different street bikes (CBR RR and a ZX-6RR) as daily commuters. From experience, you'll likely start feeling pretty uncomfortable after about 100-150 miles non stop. Most I have ever ridden, a little over 350 miles in one day with two or three stops. When I got home, I fell asleep on my kitchen table meanwhile eating cereal and watching Top Gear.

Bottom Line: Get something more suitable for long range riding. Sport bikes are track born machines that specialize in performance only, with complete disregard for everything else besides looks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
No.

Here is some bikes that would be better!
BMW:
F650cs/gs
F800st/gt
F800gs
R1200(or 1150)rs/rt/gs/r/gsa

Triumph
Speed/street triple
Tiger - any engine
Rocket roadster

Yamaha
Fjr
Fz8/1/6
Xj6

Ducati
Multistrada
Hyperstrada
Monster

Kawasaki
ER6
Zzr

Just to mention some of them.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A lot of good advice on here.

How long have you been riding? What bikes have you owned previously ?
You want to go 700 miles in one day? Even on the most comfortable bike, 700 miles is a long way. Not a lot of space to "pack up" with. A car may be a better choice unless you have a iron butt and travel light.

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
What you might also want to keep in mind is the cost of wear and tear on that bike. Like ILean, I was on my zx6r as my sole transportation for well over 3 years until I bought another freakin' sportbike and alternated between the two of them for another few years until I added the DRZ to the collection (and then blew it up). I rode the ever loving piss out of them and in the beginning it was fine because the odometers weren't even broken in yet. But as time went on all of that work started to show in wear and tear and now I am having to make up for it by doing motor work and replacing the components that have worn out. Add to it that sportbike tires are quite a bit more expensive and aren't as practical in mileage. You CAN buy harder compound tires that are aimed at your needs, but it's still not really that practical in the long run to use a sportbike for heavy long distance commutes because those miles rack up quick and so does the maintenance. Maintenance is a major deal if you're relying on your bike to go hundreds of miles at a time.

Also: A small displacement dual sport wouldn't be that great of an option either. Dual sports, while they are made to be more street friendly than dirt bikes, still aren't really that well equipped to do freeway treks at any remarkable pace for any extended period of time. So if you go with a dual sport, you might consider something that is higher displacement (minimum of 650cc depending on the bike) and will give you a little more leverage in the top-speed department, otherwise your top speed will be 80 with a tail wind and you'll be revving the shit out of the motor which is no bueno... much less for long periods of time.

Sport tourers would be a better option or something like an SV, A Triumph Tiger, Street Triple, or Speed Triple... or an FZ-8. They are pretty sporty too, which would make those windy roads a lot more enjoyable and you can buy bag kits for them so you can haul more stuff, as well.

Personally, I've been looking at getting an Aprilia Dorsoduro or something along those lines. I also wouldn't mind a Husqvarna SM 610 but that's because I want something that is street friendly, comfortable to ride and that I can thrash around in the canyons on.

Those are just my thoughts.

P.S. I would steer clear of Ducati. Those maintenance intervals are already on the high end of frequency, and and Ducs have all kinds of quirky little issues. Shoot for reliability.

·
Registered
805 Posts
700 Miles is no problem with a r1200gs, multistrada, r1200rt, fjr or the hideous whale - the goldwing

·
Registered
126 Posts
I realized it is good to have two bikes. A sports bike that is bad ass and a tour bike, that is bad ass also. You will have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I once rode my old Ducati 848 500 miles from San Diego to San Francisco. It sucked. It was loud, it vibrated, the riding position was torture, and the stock windscreen was useless unless you were tucked. I then had to ride it back to San Diego a week later. It's no fun. Maybe if it were twisties for 500 miles, it wouldn't have been as bad, but 500 miles of boring freeways with bugs hitting your face shield and neck sucks.

I can't imagine the ZX6R being any better than riding a Duc for that long.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Personally, I've been looking at getting an Aprilia Dorsoduro or something along those lines. I also wouldn't mind a Husqvarna SM 610 but that's because I want something that is street friendly, comfortable to ride and that I can thrash around in the canyons on.

Those are just my thoughts.

P.S. I would steer clear of Ducati. Those maintenance intervals are already on the high end of frequency, and and Ducs have all kinds of quirky little issues. Shoot for reliability.

You don't want the dorsoduro, you really don't. Talking about reliability, a demo one had a complete engine failure after 3000 miles, the seat gets heated from the exhaust, value drop is HUGE and not very long service intervals, they are just as costly as ducati when it comes to maintenance, or even worse.

The multistrada and hyperstrada are both built to be reliable, with 12000km between service. First one is about 600€, second one includes valve clearance adjustment and cost about 800$. So when it comes to owning costs, it is cheaper then the r1200gs, and it's less expensive to buy.
The hyperstrada cost a bit less to service, but has 10000 km service interval.

The difference between the multistrada and gs is that the multistrada is more fun to ride, has more gadgets and feels more like a smaller bike, the gs on the other hand will take you 700km on one 30l tank, you can load a huge amount of luggage (the bags are called "2 rooms and a kitchen" here in Sweden) and if you want you can remove the rear seat and have a huge flat area over the side panniers to load snowboards or whatever you want on. It's more of a big bike that will make you feel calm and relaxed, singing mahnamana and thinking of playing candy crush when doing 90mph on a twisty 45mph road.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The 6R can do 700 or 7000 miles at a time, no issue (really bikes are about as reliable as cars anymore these days). The problem will be you. I know for a fact that I could not ride my bike 700 miles in a day and I'm pretty used to riding my 6R. After about 100 miles or so I simply have to get off that damn thing! But that's just me; I know plenty of guys on here can go hundreds of miles with no issues but these old bones won't stand that much concentrated seat time.

If I were in a similar circumstance as you I'd absolutely be looking more at something like this:

Kawasaki Ninja | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow thanks everybody for so many quick responses! My other experience is on a 400cc dual sport I probably only have 20 riding hours on as I made a quick flip on it as a buddy wanted it after I had purchased it. My clothes and other things I will need to take with me I will just ship there. So I really want a sporty and quick bike and love the look of super sports and am willing to make the necessary sacrifices. Hmmmm maybe if I rode 350 miles a day and spent a night in a hotel to heal up a bit for the second leg of my journey? I've also found cushioned strap on seats for sport bikes which look horrid but I'd problably purchase and temporarily put on for the ride. The only other type of bike I'd enjoy seeing in my garage would be a supermoto but they just don't seem like the high speed mile eating type from common knowledge and others experience I have heard. I also would like to participate in a few track days with my bike but at the very least I might have to just settle and get a more practical sport bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts