Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

So 2 weeks ago I fitted a new chain and sprocket set (1- front 2+rear)

The chain was a 'high quality' chain from China... it was green so I couldn't resist. As with all top quality chains the master link was a split pin job.

Anyhoo, the chain came off the other night, luckily I was only going 2mph and stopped straight away. But after inspecting the sprockets, they appear to have been completely worn down within 2 weeks (their rental sprockets).

My question is, are rental sprockets a load of shit, or is the cheap chain eating them down faster than a high quality one would?

Just so surprised that after 2 weeks (around 300 miles), the sprockets are so far gone that the mechanic refused to put the chain back on them.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
First of all, pictures would help. Second, you bought a cheap, piece of shit chain. Third, renthal sprockets do tend to wear a little faster than the rest of the manufacturers but not in 300 miles.

Was it aluminum or steel (I'm guessing aluminum). Who installed the chain and sprockets, you? We're they properly aligned? Was the slack taken out of the new chain? To reiterate, we can't really tell you a thing until we see the pictures. And my guess is whoever installed that chain/sprocket combo fucked up. How does a chain just "come off" if it's properly installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
You just learned the hard way why not to buy stuff from China.

Don't feel too bad, I bought Chinese levers and they almost killed me. They were machined wrong and were slightly engaging my brakes. Pads started to heat up and brakes started to seize on the highway during rush hour. That's the very short version of one of the most terrifying experiences I've had on 2 wheels.

The money savings is not worth your life. Chinese parts are cheap because they save money in labor and the lack of quality control. Where reputable brands test their products to make sure they are correctly made and are safe and are manufactured by people making a decent living that will face discipline if they screw up, in China you got someone making it without any consequence making shit wage with no worker safety, and there is no quality control there. Nobody pulls out the chains and puts them on a bike to make sure they aren't chewing up sprockets.

I have seen some gnarly wrecks from chains coming off. If the skipping chain gets caught in the sprockets the right way, you will lose control if the rear wheel locks up. Do not ride that thing anymore, get an aftermarket chain from a quality brand. A lot of them offer colored chains.

You obviously have to replace the sprockets as well. So you ironically probably are going to wind up spending more from trying to save money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
do yourself a favor and buy a new chain and sprocket kit from a non china company
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,524 Posts
Does it look like this? :O. I have renthal sprockets, aluminum, and have no wear issues. So I'm 99.9% sure its the chain. The other 0.1% is not being properly aligned. Get a good chain!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I don't understand. A quality chain/sprocket kit is not very expensive. For something so cheap that could have such a huge impact on safety I spend a few extra $$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responces everyone!

I have no pictures yet but will grab some tonight. The sprockets were aluminium, so ive now ordered some steel ones. Going to get a DID chain I think. So annoyed though, just spent out £120 on chain and sprockets and now have to do it again, guess ive got to learn some way or another.

Safety 1st, then team work!

Cheers for the advice peeps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update. I took onboard all advise and my replacements have arrived!! I went for the AFAM highest spec XS Ring Chain (in Green of course!) And a new steel rear sprocket and rental front spocket -1T. Cost me a small fortune but at least its still green and I'll stay alive :D. Thanks for all the advice!
 

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top