Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a Jet Kit for my Two wheeled slug. I called a local shop today and they told me $379.00 for the install and $97.00 for the dyno tune. I have too ask....Its it worth it?

....BTW, I have a 01 ZX6R

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yes! I was able to get an extra 12hp out of my ZX7-H1 using zx10 jets and getting the carbs sinked and tuned... If you got a good guy who knows carbs then you will be so happy you did it.. however if the dude is a shmo then you going to be pissed..

One thing to remember is that the bike is being tuned to the environment at the time of the tune so if it gets Hotter, Colder or your change elevation you bike may run like shit!

I had my ZX7 so tined that when I rode to Reno and was crossing over the summit my bike kept wanting to die! and ran like shit! as soon as we got back to the valley it ran great.. you can of set this buy using lower octane gas the higher you go in elevation to induce a quicker burn.. Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Oh the other thing is you may want to learn how to change out needles and jets too. this will help you decide where you want you power in the power band. It will also help you in winter when you may need to drop the needle to lean the bike out a bit.

On my two stroke I used to have to tune the carb for every race however I only had One carb.. You got four so tuning is a bit more complex.

If I remember correctly there should be an Idle jet for 0-1500k rpm, then you can adjust the needle with clips and have four choice for your mid range with a pilot jet. and your main jet for your top end when your throttle is wide open.

learn how these all work together so you can adjust over the seasons with out needing to go to your mechanic every season.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The Tech at that shop told me too make sure to get a Dynojet. They have one for $125.00, not a bad price, in fact i thought it'd cost more....The only thging i've got to get over is the shop costs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jet-Kits are cheaper today than they ever were. I remember a buddy got his zx-9r jetted and it cost him less than $200 installed (were in South FL). It's atiquated technology as most bikes from the big four are injected by now so the prices have gotten cheaper and cheaper. Here are some places to start---->

http://www.muzzys.com/catalog/jet.html

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx6r.htm

Ivan's is good shit. Knows what he's doing. On his site there are pics of the kit and a Dyno Graph for your exact bike. Seems to make awesome power ....

94.7- 106.0!!!! that almost 12WHP !!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That does seem like alot of money just for an install. If you're the least bit mechanically inclined, do it yourself. I've done 6 of them in everything from yamaha to kawi. Takes about 3-4 hours to take the bike apart and install. Just follow the directions and hit the beer AFTER your done.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The only real thing you need to buy is a vacuum carb sink tool and the jets..

Having a pro do the work is worth the few hundred dollars! If they do it right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have the full muzzy ti system and it runs pretty good with the stock jets, looking at the muzzy site there are 2 choices. the ROCKLAND & DYNOJET whats the differance?

kinda like the ivans but the muzzy is 4-2-1 and the ivans is not designed for that.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
to get my 98zx6r done was gunna be $600 buck, 125 for the jet kit and $100 for the dyno and $375 buck to pull the carbs of and sync thenm and put back together and dyno again,, I just dont have the money or time to do it myself so the bike will just have to wait.. might do it myself over xmas

·
Registered
243 Posts
To bad you guys aren't around St.Louis, MO. I'd do it for free. I love working on J1 model carbs. Could do the whole job right, in about two hours.

Just remember that a Jet Kit is more for tuning mid-range power rather than max power, if you simple want a higher HP number, install a good exhaust (or run open header, hehe, thats what I like), +4 advanced rotor, and 160ish size main jets.

If you want a GREAT running J1 bike, then look at my previous posts. or shoot me a PM

I haven't used Ivan's, but Dynojet has always performed flawlessly, and I highly recommend Dynojet jets over Mikuni, their venturi design allows for smoother transitions into the top-end rpm(really though, thats something that most riders wouldn't notice).

Do your self a favor though and try a #15.0 pilot jets, usually this will give a MUCH improved throttle response. (works best with free flowing exhaust or open header and +4 advanced rotor)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts