Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is my first post. I don't want to put anyone to sleep, so I'll try to make it fast and simple.

I bought a used, 06 zx6r. 16k miles.
A week later it started to die after riding for 30+ mins.
Temperature was high, so I changed the oil and did a coolant flush.
Didn't help much, still kept dying.
Took it to a shop, they said I needed better coolant, I had them add Moto Chill. It helped for a while, but still didn't fix it.
Changed spark plugs because I thought that might be it, didn't have any problems for about two weeks.
Today, I rode for 30+ mins and it died after reaching 230 degree F.
My water pump works, I observed it with the radiator cap off.
I added my Moto Chill after emptying the reservoir.
My fan is working properly.
I have no leaks.
I run full synthetic.
I live in Arizona, it's 100+ all the time, I normally ride at night to avoid the heat, but I decided to test the motorcycle in the heat today and it failed.
Previous owner swears nothing was wrong with it before he sold it to me. I doubt it.

Any think else I should check before bringing it in for service, I rather work on it myself to be honest. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
230F in that Arizona heat should be normal if youre not moving too fast or if u are doing a lot of stop and go. My bike hits 215 and I'm in Cali... so about 80 degree weather here. Are there any other signs of the bike overheating? Many 05/06 models have issues with the ECU overheating and shutting the bike off. I'm guessing you're having the same problem. Only way to fix it is to get a new ECU or a used one that has been tested and works.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much would a new ECU cost? I really don't want to pay someone to fix my motorcycle.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
How much would a new ECU cost? I really don't want to pay someone to fix my motorcycle.
The over heating ECU is a pretty common problem on the bikes that have that unit under the seat, which puts it in proximity with the underseat exhaust. Pretty much a bake fest. Solid state electronics hate heat.

In the toaster oven under the seat, there is very little air flow.The cooling fins on the ECU are supposed to draw heat away from the electronics -- they rely on moving air to do that effectively.

You could possibly prove you have an issue with the ECU, by cooling it off after your bike shuts off to see if it will then start back up. (This would only tell you the culprit, not solve your problem.) A can of compressed air, like they sell to clean out keyboards, etc. would do the trick.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
My first guess would be the ECU, but you have an '06. This was an issue with the '05 and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the '06. However, I guess it COULD be a possibility. You could always snag a used one on eBay if that is the case. Perhaps Riverszzr will chime in with some other possibilities.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
The ecu is not programmed to shut down the bike at 230* actually I believe the guage will read "hi" once past 250* and even then still continue to run but in a retarded ignition timing state until it cools back down

so I would say this is not coolant temperature related.--although I would be worried if the bike is always around 230* coolant temp

I would suspect the ecu of overheating but as was mentioned it was an 05 issue with some bikes

just for some reference and perspective.....brand new ecu

CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC

21175-0057

$827.19

So I would definitely make sure that is the culprit before wasting money on a hunch.

you can do a few things to lessen the heat that gets to the unit (located under the seat) heat wrap on the exhaust and / or some heat reflective insulating tape under the plastic fender the ecu sits on are both cheap.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Do you know any service history? has the valve adjustment been done and all the other shit that was due at 15k?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valve adjustment, I doubt it honestly. Coolant system was bled by me and my a mechanic at the shop. I'm going to pull the back end off today and look at the ECU and see if I can do something about it. Heat wrap is a good idea, thank you guys.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
you doubt it.................

get that shit done too--

I have xyz problem and have neglected maintenance abc but whatever could be wrong....I am too cheap to do abc, so I just want you all to tell me it is cheap and easy

geezus

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I literally just bought this motorcycle, that's the reason I doubt the fact the previous owner did it or not. No need to get smart with me, all I did was ask for a little help. Now, I pulled the ECU out, I don't see any signs of melting or heat related issues, is there a way for me to check with it out?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
:nana:Find a used ecu, or someone who can swap it out for a test ride.
If u can measure the temp of the ecu try that. Start by putting heat reflective tape under the ecu of the outside above the exhaust attached to the plastic tray. That should help.

It's not a cooling system problem. Your shop is filled with dumb asses... Sorry, find a shop that has worked on your type of bike.

U may even want to try to put a cold pack on top of the ecu, as long as it will not sweat it my work for testing, but I would start with the reflective stuff, or wrap that section of the exhaust with heat wrap. I did that and it works perfect.

Btw,
Get a thicker skin if your asking for help on this forum... Or piss off!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess that's my "welcome to the Internet." I just went out an bought the heat wrap, how's this look? I'm about to reassemble my rear section and test it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I literally just bought this motorcycle, that's the reason I doubt the fact the previous owner did it or not. No need to get smart with me, all I did was ask for a little help. Now, I pulled the ECU out, I don't see any signs of melting or heat related issues, is there a way for me to check with it out?
Ummm....

I did help you out, and I will get smart with anyone I damn well feel like. Since I am smart and knowledgeable I can get away with anytime I feel like since I always provide the answer in there with the hammer to head. I don't think you did your due diligence before posting up- so I filled you in on such.
And yes WELCOME TO THE INTERNET
So just bought it or not-if you don't know for sure the stuff was done---get it done!

You won't see melting on the ecu but that does not mean it isn't a heat issue with it.

Now I have helped you out more than once, don't piss me off.

here is a link so you know who it is your dealing with.......

or ask anyone on here, no fucking around, no bullshit smash you over the head with information responses...
http://zx6r.com/motorcycle-talk/59434-my-rant-day.html

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I guess that's my "welcome to the Internet." I just went out an bought the heat wrap, how's this look? I'm about to reassemble my rear section and test it out.
That looks like more than enough heat reflective tape....go try out your work

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,888 Posts
Looks good. Go try it out.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,888 Posts
ECU's are cheap on EBay, $150 used all day.

Although Riverszzr came across harshly, he's right that you don't want to just throw money at the bike. If you really want to learn how to fix your bike, frugally and efficiently, then there are always logical steps.

I'm in AZ, i can help you with fixing/replacing. But most of my diagnostic skills are a work in progress. Do your research and try what Riverszzr and Mattel have suggested. Retrace steps if necessary.

This forum is an amazing resource and you will get many responses, and you will get them quickly. It is a top site for that reason alone.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
ECU's are cheap on EBay, $150 used all day.

Although Riverszzr came across harshly, he's right that you don't want to just throw money at the bike. If you really want to learn how to fix your bike, frugally and efficiently, then there are always logical steps.

I'm in AZ, i can help you with fixing/replacing. But most of my diagnostic skills are a work in progress. Do your research and try what Riverszzr and Mattel have suggested. Retrace steps if necessary.

This forum is an amazing resource and you will get many responses, and you will get them quickly. It is a top site for that reason alone.

Harshly, me...................... never. I have no idea, nor does anyone else, what you are talking about.... :hmmm:

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,888 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The heat seems under control, in regards to the ECU. Thanks, now I'm troubleshooting heat when it comes to idling. At idle, even in the late evening (8pm or later), my motorcycle seems to never stop rising, at traffic lights. I'm not sure if it's normal to hit 230+ at every light.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts