Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
3rd ride on the 6... and 1st track day.
Lots and lots of learning to go but so far so good.

Realised it likes to step out around corners a little, so that was a new feeling, and found at 200km+ I start getting the front end wobbling.. not fun. I’ve tried locking on and holding her a bit tighter, but alas still manages. Adjusted suspension, did make minor improvement but not enough to stop it entirely. Will need to invest in steering dampener otherwise that concrete wall and me are going to have a bit of an unwanted relationship!

Ran both the 400 and the 6, so going from bike to bike was a new experience! Totally different machines!

·
Registered
573 Posts
found at 200km+ I start getting the front end wobbling.. not fun. I’ve tried locking on and holding her a bit tighter, but alas still manages.

]

If you’re getting headshake, do the opposite. Move back in the seat a little and loosen up your grip on the bars. Let it move around a bit. If it’s really bad their might be a feature on the tarmac you may want to try to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you’re getting headshake, do the opposite. Move back in the seat a little and loosen up your grip on the bars. Let it move around a bit. If it’s really bad their might be a feature on the tarmac you may want to try to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mmm okay. I need to just figure it out, it’s an uphill straight, so a lot of weight transfer through to the back as you’re climbing over it. I had a chat to a couple of the coaches from California Superbike School and they simply suggested getting in a lot tighter with my knees and on the bars. I can’t slide back too far or I won’t reach haha!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It was always going to happen... that wonderful slow speed drop.. I just didn't expect to whack it out on bloody gravel going down a hill.
None the less.. Lower Cowling scratched up and have managed to bend the gear shifter.. we tried to straighten and may have broken in process...

Requested new lower cowling, bloody $650 just for that! No idea if it includes the graphics or not.

Extremely emotional and over those that are like "It's just a bike".. Yeah well, It's my bike, pride, joy and all.

As we were unable to to get it home with the snapped lever, off to see her tonight for full observation and fixing arrangements. Bloody short ass gravel slipping dumb blonde over here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
And taking advice for replacement shifters... Kawasaki NZ doesn't even have them listed as a part and without out, it means no riding. Any aftermarket suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't suppose you know anyone who can weld aluminum ? Would get you by until you get a OEM or aftermarket replacement shifter.

Reactions: chaoticblond

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
After I dropped mine on the left, which bent the shifter that broke on straightening I bought the least expensive replacement shifter I could find. The one I purchased has a spring loaded folding tip..... If I drop it again, I have a much better chance of having a working shifter afterwards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After I dropped mine on the left, which bent the shifter that broke on straightening I bought the least expensive replacement shifter I could find. The one I purchased has a spring loaded folding tip..... If I drop it again, I have a much better chance of having a working shifter afterwards.
Im just struggling with what shifter will actually fit it - as I’m searching the part number and model year for 19/20 and not seeming to find a lot.
The ones from 98-04 look relatively similar?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I suggest new rearsets :)

I love the adjustability in my spider racing rearsets

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Im just struggling with what shifter will actually fit it - as I’m searching the part number and model year for 19/20 and not seeming to find a lot.
I would expect foot controls f from '09 up would bolt right on.

·
Director of Moderation
10,476 Posts
It was always going to happen... that wonderful slow speed drop.. I just didn't expect to whack it out on bloody gravel going down a hill.
None the less.. Lower Cowling scratched up and have managed to bend the gear shifter.. we tried to straighten and may have broken in process...

Requested new lower cowling, bloody $650 just for that! No idea if it includes the graphics or not.

Extremely emotional and over those that are like "It's just a bike".. Yeah well, It's my bike, pride, joy and all.

As we were unable to to get it home with the snapped lever, off to see her tonight for full observation and fixing arrangements. Bloody short ass gravel slipping dumb blonde over here.
Bummer :( Sorry to hear, but hope you're ok!

JD, you are the master of finding random ass brands that nobody uses. Do you purposely search for "ZX6R parts that nobody else has" when you're in the market for something? lol How do you even find all this shit?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Bummer :( Sorry to hear, but hope you're ok!

JD, you are the master of finding random ass brands that nobody uses. Do you purposely search for "ZX6R parts that nobody else has" when you're in the market for something? lol How do you even find all this shit?
Nuh-uh!

Just this week I bought a new damper that everyone uses...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
This is the one I bought and have used ever since. I did have to modify a washer, so the shifter didn't bind on the pivot... Small price to pay, at least as durable as OEM.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't suppose you know anyone who can weld aluminum ? Would get you by until you get a OEM or aftermarket replacement shifter.
Mmm Negative... Thinking new would be better bet.

If only I was made of money....

This is the one I bought and have used ever since. I did have to modify a washer, so the shifter didn't bind on the pivot... Small price to pay, at least as durable as OEM.

Okay so this does fit?! I found this one but wasn't sure at all!

I'm not sure how much shipping would be to your location, but you should be able to get the gear change pedal here: Kawasaki 13236-0809 - LEVER-COMP,CHANGE PEDAL | Partzilla.com
Yup.. I should of gone this one. Ordered via Kawasaki NZ and it was $215+GST (15%)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered parts as needed them urgently due to bike being on Display at Motofest 2020 next week. Timing couldn't have been better...

Bloody shifter is half the price of the damn bike I swear! $250!
Cowling, without any idea on if it has the stickers, $650.

Remind myself to never, ever drop said bike again haha.

Would love new rearsets but just a bit pricey and shipping + GST & Customs... I'll get there eventually.

Ya know.. I gave up horses to get into bikes as the cheaper alternative (HA!)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
The outlaw racing shifter fits my '09 perfectly -- so far as I know that should mean it will fit yours as well.

The surface the mounting nut and washer abutt is not as flat on the Outlaw shifter, which means you need to file a bit of the washer off, so it doesn't extend as far.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts