Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

International Women's Day

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Raven 
#1 ·
That's right... surely you boys didn't think I'd overlook such a momentous event celebrating all things awesome! All things woman! I mean... well the two are synonymous and all-encompassing.

Okay so the truth is I didn't even know about it until I read about it on FB. So from me to all of my lovely sisters on two wheels: today let us all take a minute to appreciate how badass we are...

Now if you'll all excuse me... I'm gonna go fix myself a sammich and watch some Lifetime television. :p :2fingerlol:

Okay... I'm kidding... kinda... I already made my sammich.

But for the record... there are a lot of really bitchin' (poor choice of word :O) women out there who have inspired me in my life and they are as follows (in no particular order:

Amelia Earhart: probably the first woman that I learned about who kickstarted my imagination as far as what I could do in my own life -

Shirley Muldowney:

When I was a kid my family was big into racing. While I'm not big into drag racing anymore... I still fondly remember going out to the March Meets at Famoso and the way the Top Fuel dragsters would vibrate my chest cavity, sometimes taking the wind right out of me.

Jenny Tinmouth - I mean shit... she's got the ovaries to race IOM :p And she looks really good doing it!

Melissa Paris:

When she started racing I was just getting into track days. When it was time for me to buy the R6 I used one of my student loans to buy a huge portion of the bike (super low interest loan in comparison to a bike loan). I started reading about her efforts as an up-and-comer and then I read somewhere that she had started street riding in college, and then fell in love with it and later also used her student loans to get her bike and dove head first into track days. Ever since then, I've really rooted for her to make it. Her situation reminds me so much of my own: getting started late-ish in life with not a lot of money to dump into it but wanting to ride so bad that you'll do what it takes to make it work. She has definitely come a long way and that is mega-inspiring to me considering how old I am in comparison to a lot of these gals and guys that are out there.

I am such a huge fan of hers it's ridiculous.

Last but not least: my Grandma. My grandma was the first woman I ever knew personally that encouraged me to go my own way and be who I am. She worked as an engineer building airplanes and airplane parts, and it was always cool when I went to hang out with her at work. Hahaha most of her coworkers were men, but they were always super nice to this annoying little kid who would interrogate them all about what they did. She was about as brazen and candid as they come, but at the same time kind and compassionate.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm from Russia, and it's a big deal over there, kind of like valentines day here in US, but only for women :) I called a lot of my female friends today to congratulate them. My wife is away in SF right now, so I can't do anything, normally flowers are a must, and then a nice dinner somewhere fancy.

Happy March 8 ladies!

#3 ·
I've looked up to a few women for inspiration in my life, especially when doing science.

Some of my own idols include Rosalind Franklin, Emilie du Chatelet, Marie-Anne Lavoisier, Marie Curie, Kalpana Chawla, Rani Lakshmi Bai, and quite a few others.

Today, I would look up to Malala Yousafzai for the struggle she went through to go to school... something I took for granted and had to be coddled into, when I was her age.

There have been so many times in my life when thinking about one of these people helped me with getting over a difficulty of some sort (definitely nothing like they went through). I would love to say that it wouldn't matter if my inspirations were men or women, but the fact remains that these women had to overcome so much more opposition in one form or another than their male counterparts. Being female only amplifies the already incredible achievements these women are known and remembered for.

#14 ·
Thanks for posting this. I read the post earlier in time to thank my wife, mom and aunt for helping me to become a better person. They have a long way to go, but don't seem to get it.

My Bulgarian riding buddy and I head out to Blood Mountain nearly every Sunday, but he could not make it this weekend because it was "Mother's Day". I had an OH SHIT moment until it occurred to me that Mother's Day is in May. When I called him on it he said everyone in the world was celebrating Mother's Day on 3/8, except for USA.

Until you posted, I didn't realize this a day for women that are not mothers.

BTW - When is International Men's Day?

jimundascores

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.