Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide if I want a really nice slip on or mediocre full system?
People keep telling me a full system is a waste of money, I don't need the extra power, it's a huge hassle to install, blah blah blah.

I really like the way Two Brothers & M4 sounds but I kinda wanted an Akropovik or Leo Vince...

Don't yell at me for not knowing this... (I know I still have a lot to learn mechanically)... if I get a slip on, can I turn it into a full exhaust or am I stuck with what I've got?

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
People keep telling me a full system is a waste of money, I don't need the extra power, it's a huge hassle to install, blah blah blah.

I really like the way Two Brothers & M4 sounds but I kinda wanted an Akropovik or Leo Vince...

Don't yell at me for not knowing this... (I know I still have a lot to learn mechanically)... if I get a slip on, can I turn it into a full exhaust or am I stuck with what I've got?
My personal opinion. Do not get a 2 brothers. Get rid of the pre-muffler and install a pinebox designs straight pipe, then a slip on. Like you suggested Leo Vince is a great choice, there is also Graves,M4, the MGP Growler, Yoshimura, Akrapovic is the best. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Nyxesque. Get a 2 brothers. But do not say. I did not warn you not to. That warning should be enough right there. Have a fantastic evening and ride safe. :)
Yea I don't view your warning as the word of god that shalt not be questioned....

So moving on.

2Bros will eventually set your bike on fire...plus their quality is known to suck. Get an M4 GP...it wont disappoint!
Thank you for taking the time to warn me complete with explanation.

·
Registered
518 Posts
All that hate on the 2 bro is because 1 and only 1 person had it burn down from some other thread. But I'm 100% sure there was more to it than just the exhaust causing it to burn alone. Don't listen to them I think u made great choices on the exhaust. To each his/her own. And yes u can add full system to a slip on later if u choose.

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
Ok lets get serious.... a slip on isnt gonna do much to your bike besides make it look and sound better. A full system will give u more power but if youre gonna be riding streets then its gonna be a waste...especially in LA traffic. Sooo.... u could check out youtube and search for different vids of the exhausts ur considering and see which one u like more. And Tommy is right... theres a million people running 2bros out there and only one or two catching fire is expected... I guess lol. We just like hating on 2bros for entertainment :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesus fucking christ. Someone had a bad day. :laugh :laugh
All you had to do is explain your reasoning. Don't be butthurt I called you out on your immature answer.

I actually want to learn from people who don't mind helping me out by taking the time to explain, so can you please stop now.

Ok lets get serious.... a slip on isnt gonna do much to your bike besides make it look and sound better. A full system will give u more power but if youre gonna be riding streets then its gonna be a waste...especially in LA traffic. Sooo.... u could check out youtube and search for different vids of the exhausts ur considering and see which one u like more. And Tommy is right... theres a million people running 2bros out there and only one or two catching fire is expected... I guess lol. We just like hating on 2bros for entertainment :)
I use my bike to commute, but I also use it for the twisties & I also will use it for track days.
Will I be wasting a full exhaust system?

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
All you had to do is explain your reasoning. Don't be butthurt I called you out on your immature answer.

I actually want to learn from people who don't mind helping me out by taking the time to explain, so can you please stop now.

I use my bike to commute, but I also use it for the twisties & I also will use it for track days.
Will I be wasting a full exhaust system?
I can assure you. If you think someone is butthurt as you would say. Then the joke is on you. ROTFLMAO, you fell for it. :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'd suggest suspension or brakes first off.
An exhaust will change the sound of your bike but you wont notice much difference (if any). If you're doing a lot of track days or racing, then sure, exhaust mods are the go. Suspension or brake mods you will notice the improvements straight away and you be able to use these improvements more easily/frequently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd suggest suspension or brakes first off.
An exhaust will change the sound of your bike but you wont notice much difference (if any). If you're doing a lot of track days or racing, then sure, exhaust mods are the go. Suspension or brake mods you will notice the improvements straight away and you be able to use these improvements more easily/frequently.
Thanks, I will take all of that into consideration for performance improvements down the road.

Right now I want to do the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I recommend a nice slip on.

You will still get the nice look and sound you are after and wont have to deal with the additional tuning required to accommodate a full system. Not to mention, a slip on will be much cheaper than a full system.

These bikes already make so much power and unless you are a serious racer that needs to squeeze out as many ponies as possible from the motor, really no need for the full system.

·
Registered
888 Posts

DO NOT GET A TWO BROTHERS. I've got a black series carbon fiber and it's whiny as hell. I'd like to kick the guy in the nutz who designed it.

Get a Yoshimura R-77 or Akropovic and call it a day.

·
Registered
888 Posts
And stay away from full systems, because they're a slippery slope of a money pit. You install one, and you'll be running lean at high RPMs causing damage to your engine.

You'll need to get software and remaps to fine tune the engine, then pay a really good mechanic to do the tune. It's just not worth it unless you plan on racing.

No one really cares if you can say "Oooohhh, look at my shiny new full exhaust system that I just paid a grand for and then had to shell out another $500 to get it installed and running properly."

If you really wanna go fast, get some better tires and just ride. Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Akras & leos are what ive personally owned on 3 different bikes. The newer leos part#8448 u cannot make it into a full system later if u decide to get a slip on now. They do make headers but they dont make a link pipe for that particular model. The older models u can though. Sound & quality is top notch. Leos always have the dry carbon fiber look vs akras which have a glossy cf look. Akras are just too notch. If youre looking for looks, sound & power gain all in 1 package then look no further.

2bros are basically a used coffee can wrapped in 3M carbon fiber wrap. Throw in some rivets & sticker & u get that r&d look. I have a 2 bros in my garage right now on a 2004 R1 (dual pipe) & the single midpipe that exits to the 2 cans only exits out 1 of those cans...wtf? So the other can is basically just for looks & it's coming loose. Not to mention the cf & black colored bits are peeling. I have to admit though that they have 1 of the best sounding exhaust.

M4 are awesome & u get a lot for their cheaper then normal price. I tend to view them as very loud from my previous experiences on the 06 gixxers but that is not the case with the 2011 zx10r. Theyre still louder then most quality exhaust imo.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.