Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my 1st post,so hello to all who read this,i have got my direct access test on the 19th january and before summer starts i want to get a zx6r 2003/4 model would prefer red but i have not seen 1 in the uk and before i start looking for 1 i wanted to get some knowledge of what i will be looking at,like what common faults they have,if any.

i dont have much roadbike experience but i've been interested in them for years and have only recently pushed myself to get a bike and liscence etc,i have been riding offroad bikes for years though,my fzr400 is easy to ride but obviously lacks power and style amongst other things.

is the zx6r to much of a leap for a inexperienced rider?

nice forum by the way,looks great some good features,your bikes look great by the way

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Quarkz is the person to answer the 2004 stuff but as for the bike being too much for a inexperienced rider i dont think so you just have to take it really slow and practice in parking lots then down back streets away form cars and maybe take a riding class that helps alot cuz it teaches you good habits

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2003 models were the only ones to come in red and (Don't quote me on this) but the red weren't available in the UK (Likewise in Australia, all we got was the black/green and blue/green combos).

The 03/04's are great bikes and probably not too much for a beginner if you take it slowly and don't get too cocky. The bike only goes as fast as you make it. I would recommend starting on a 250 though but you don't have to if you have a sensible head on your shoulders (You obviously do otherwise you wouldn't be asking, you would have already bought one, but a 1000cc instead.) I have never had any trouble with my 04, it's been nothing but a pleasure and a tyre eater.

The suspension is very hard. If you weigh around 85kg it will be bearable but anything out of that bracket and you'll be tossed around like an abused Barbie. Suspension problems also causes head shakes and this bike is notorious for having a light end. A steering damper is a must if you are going to be doing some frolicking in the twisties or riding on bumpy roads. I'd recommenced it just for everyday riding, it makes the bike feel a lot more planted.

The seating position has (apparently) caused a lot of grief for male riders (I have no problems!) as the seat pushes your family jewels right up against the tank and puts a lot of pressure on the wrists. Combined with the crappy suspension your fertility count will probably be decreased by 38% every year. You just need to learn to use your knees to grip the tank and maybe shave your seat down so it's not on such an angle.

The 03/04's suffer from the well known Kawi tick which is a ticking coming from the left side of the engine that appears when the bike is cold but usually goes away after 10 minutes. The cause is highly disputed but claims that getting your cam chain tensioner looked at fixes it (Meh). Mine has done it since I got it and it goes away sometimes but sometimes it's really loud. Your bike will have it so don't worry, no-ones has blown up because of it (If it's a knock start worrying!)

The gearbox is also clunky as hell. N-1st and 1st-2nd always make me cringe. The bike will sound like it's grating itself to bits but it's not (I hope!). This is also a Kawi trait so don't worry about it. It may get annoying, like it has for me and you'll wonder why you ever bought such a piece of clunky shit. Don't despair! The 6R makes up for it in every other way possible.

As long as you treat your engine correctly and stick to the service intervals you'll have a rock solid engine that will serve you for a very long time. If you have your heart set on the 6R make sure you test ride it first. It might not be the shining glory you imagined as it's not the most comfortable bike in the world and when it comes down to it all, it might not be the bike for you. I highly doubt that though as it's easily one of the best bikes ever produced :D

Please make sure you buy some quality gear before you start thinking about after market stuff for the bike. Some frame sliders are highly recommended but a decent helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and boots should be first on your wishlist! :thumbup

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum! Keep us updated on the bike hunting! We want pics when you get one!

·
Squid Forever , Yes it's a conspiracy
2,271 Posts
Its not a bad bike, unless you get really cocky with it. I wouldnt recommend on a 250, its too small and you will get tired/bored with it really easy. I would recommend the ex500. I would recommend that you take a Motorcyle Safety Course.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers

cheers guys,
i already have an fzr 400 i wanted to get used to a 4 stroke engine and drop bars.although i hav'nt got vast experience of riding it,just poping out on it ocasionally,(i cant take the piss too much without having a liscence,the cops are everywhere) but it feels quite easy to ride,i planned to keep it for a year or so but i already want something with more power.

i do need to get some quality gear i have somr alpinestar boots and a scott jacket,but what are frame sliders?:stupid

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got my 2006 zx636 after putting my first 1000 miles on an 04 suzuki SV 650. I love the zx, its much more fun than the sv was. As a new rider, I felt more confident on it even! Just take it easy to begin with. A bike will go as fast as you pull the throttle!

·
Registered
617 Posts
getting some quality gear is well worth the investment(skin graffs are very painful)and wearing it when ever you ride, could save your life. I've personally used Alpinestar and found it to be very good. It was a 2 piece suit that I used for 2 years. I've since sold it to a friend and have bought a 1 piece teknic suit that I wear when I hit the highways. Make sure you invest in a good pair of gloves and riding boot,and most importantly a quality helmet. As far frame sliders go, Yeah, defenitly a good investment. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts