Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really bored last night and it was raining, so since I couldn't ride my bike, I decided I was gonna work on it. I always wanted to pull the packing out of my pipe but I never had the time. So I gatherd up my cordless drill,my rivet gun and a pack of rivets. I drilled out the rivets on bothe ends of the pipe and pulled it apart, I took ALL of the packing out and took some off the steel wool wrap of the baffle. I put it all back together and back on the bike and it sounds sweet!!!! I rode it a little the next day and I did not notice any power loss....... now its raining again and I jus was want to sit in the garage and listen to my bike becouse it sounds so SICK!!!!the bike sounds way more aggresive than my dads zx9. My dad also has the same slip on(yoshimura rs3 stainless) on his zx9r and he told me, "what ever it is that you did to that pipe, I want you to do it to mine"I'm probably gonna do his next week.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The packing is there to reduce sound. Between the packing and the core, it keeps air flow moving out the tube while allowing sound to penetrate. I would recommend cutting a pipe shorter to improve sound and performance, not removing the packing or core. You will loose power most likely.

Still, sound clip would be nice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The packing is there to reduce sound. Between the packing and the core, it keeps air flow moving out the tube while allowing sound to penetrate. I would recommend cutting a pipe shorter to improve sound and performance, not removing the packing or core. You will loose power most likely.

Still, sound clip would be nice.
I can always repack the pipe if I notice any powerloss but so far it seems to run the same. I wish I could get you a sound clip but right now I don't have a way to do that...

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
also another thing you did was mess up the tune on your bike even more when you removed the packing, i would def be lookin into puttin a pc on that bike soon

·
Registered
151 Posts
what was the packing material? When I took out the decibel killer on my micron pipe it looked like the material was asbestos...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what was the packing material? When I took out the decibel killer on my micron pipe it looked like the material was asbestos...
Yea that's kinda what mine looked like, it was almost like a fiber and cotton type of material. Hard to explain but is was like a blanket wraped around the baffle.and underneath the packing there's like a steel wool material wraped around the baffle also, I left most of the steel wool stuff on...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 9 of 9 Posts