Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well not really, but i am curious how much damage i am doing. from connecticut and we already have had more snow since mid-november to now than i can remember in the last 10 years. i meant to "winterize" my bike over thanksgiving break (all i was gonna do was drain the oil and put in stabilizer and cover her up) but the cold/laziness got the best of me and i STILL havent done anything but cover it yet. my biggest concern is the stabilizer. how bad is that i have almost a full tank just sitting in the freezing temperatures with no stabilizer and what can it do and should i go do that like tomorrow? :banghead :confused :O

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
probably no damage :O fuel doesn't just spontaneously go bad in the cold. Put some stabilizer in her, run her for a spell. put the battery on a tender, and KEEP YOUR OIL IN THE BIKE! Change the oil after winter when you want to go ride again. If you have some service stands, those would be good too.

-:banana

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably no damage :O fuel doesn't just spontaneously go bad in the cold. Put some stabilizer in her, run her for a spell. put the battery on a tender, and KEEP YOUR OIL IN THE BIKE! Change the oil after winter when you want to go ride again. If you have some service stands, those would be good too.

ill be getting a new battery in the spring so thats not a worry but should i leave dirty oil in her until i can ride again in the spring?

·
Registered
992 Posts
full tank is good w/stabilizer so gas dont go bad you should get stands so you dont get flat spots in the tires..i start my bike every 2 weeks to keep the batterygood

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Leave oil in bike,change in summer,put bike on paddock stands,and put battery on trickle charger.upto you as you have a new battery anyway.have a full tank of petrol, have red also that iff you start bike every few weeks without giving it a run, on and off you can run the risk of spiking the ecu.only wot i have read.i have done all of the above but put fresh oil in bike b4 storing as less chance of condensation in engine from fresh oil...:)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
ill be getting a new battery in the spring so thats not a worry but should i leave dirty oil in her until i can ride again in the spring?
yes, for couple reasons. 1) for the same reason you leave your fuel in you gas tank topped off. Moisture in the air could condense in your motor if there isn't a liquid there to occupy the space instead. 2) (this one happens to me every season) Invariably there is always someone who wants to start my bike when i'm not there, or when we have guests over...better to be safe than sorry. 3) Oil isn't like inner-city youth, it isn't just going to magically go bad and start running a muck of things. Yeah you wouldn't want to run the bike on it (debatable on how bad that would be for the bike, if at all), but for just sitting, it'll be fine. Change it when you're actually going to ride it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just take mine for a ride about every other week. :) I rode today. But of course its in the low 70s in Central Texas right now. Gotta love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts