Registered
49 Posts
View attachment 104630

View attachment 104631

View attachment 104632

View attachment 104633

View attachment 104634

View attachment 104635

Well, technically I got it on Labor Day last year, but I finally got the first service done last weekend as well as having some after market stuff installed so now it feels brand new again!

My 2013 636 had just clicked over 23k miles and needed work (new tires, chain, sprockets, battery, and front rotors) so I decided to get something new. I knew I wanted all the fancy goodies this time around (stuff like a TFT display, 6-axis IMU, TC, WC, auto-blipper, etc) so I'd have to step up to a liter bike, since nobody is really updating their 600's any more. Initially I was keen on a 2018+ Yamaha YZF-R1 because I love the sound of their crossplane engines and they added the blipper in 2018. But when I looked at pricing (this was back in August 2019) I realized that new leftover 2018 R1's were going for around $15k-$16k OTD and for that price I could afford something truly interesting. So I started looking at the new S1000RR (which of course is still almost impossible to find) and the Aprilia RSV4 (which had gotten its own auto-blipper and TFT display upgrades for model year 2017). Both bikes are top of the shelf European super bikes and I've only ever had Hondas and Kawis in the past so the Aprilia really interested me because it was Italian and it had that same lovely engine sound as the R1! As luck would have it, my local dealer (the ONLY Aprilia dealer in my state actually) said he could get me a brand new 2018 RSV4RR for $15,400 OTD! This is a brand new V4 liter bike with 201 hp and freaking cruise control, and it was basically cheaper than an equivalent R1! So I wrote the guy a check and in less than two weeks I had my new Italian Dream Bike!

Fast forward to last weekend and I finally got the break-in service performed. I also installed a pair of black/red CRG full length levers (wish I could've gotten some MSM levers like on my 636), a MotoDynamic fender eliminator, and a Competition Werkes integrated tail light. The bike looks so amazing and rides even more amazing! It honestly feels just as nimble as my 636 did, despite being about 40 lbs heavier. And the power, my GOD the power!!! Its way more than I will ever need (and is probably gonna get me in trouble with the local law enforcement types) but there is just no describing the feeling of rolling on the throttle on a liter bike! Especially a liter bike that sounds like this thing! Anyway, just wanted to share! Any of you guys ever had an Aprilia before???
Damn that's Ugly. I would have saved the money for the new Generation ZX10R that has gotta be close to being released in a year or two, Sexiest Bike on the Planet!!! But i'm sure your Aprilla is a great bike to ride, U should get Oggy Knobs, frame sliders for when you drop it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Eh, no offense taken, but I must say that Anthony is the very first person I have ever heard say the RSV4 is "Ugly" lol! I don't think the current ZX-10R is ugly at all but I certainly don't rate it as one of the best looking liter bikes around. The Ducati V4S, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia RSV4, and the new Yamaha R1 are the best looking liter bikes currently, at least in MY opinion. The new Fireblade looks pretty good as well.

I've also already had a ZX-10R and this time I really wanted to try out something that wasn't Japanese. The RSV4RR was literally the perfect bike for me because it is right there in performance and exotic-ness with Ducati and BMW but at an astounding discount! 201 hp for $15,400 OTD??? Yep....

Reactions: Strider and Newyork

·
Registered
224 Posts
I really wanted an Aprilla but I guess the potential parts challenges scared me off, not to mention the price tag!!

But I agree it's a beautiful bike. I like the grunty sound of the engine too.

There are a couple Aprilla here a handful of Ducati and due to low price, there are many many KTM rc200's.

I followed a fella on his rc200 yesterday. He knew his bike and the roads well and was a fast rider. I appreciated it as I'm still a new rider to sportbikes.

Great fun, no matter what sportbike one is on, in my opinion right?

The liter bike dudes over here are a bit exclusive. I almost bought a used gsxr1000 but it was a 2005, had 25,000kms on it, it was sexy besides the milage and need for a new tire was in the near future but 147hp with no frills and stil $7,800 bucks! Compared to the new zx6r for $12,500, zero km's, with 129hp, kibs, traction control and led lights, I chose the Kawasaki.

I suppose the additional 18hp is very noticable in the seat of the pants, or not really??

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, since you are new to sport bikes I'd say you made a very wise decision. Even something like the ZX6R is a LOT of bike for an inexperienced rider; a liter bike is on another level. And liter bikes back in the 2000's were absolutely crazy since there were no electronic rider aids to provide any safety net. Current liter bikes are far more forgiving (though they will still kill you if you are stupid) but those older liter bikes were just death machines (I know because I had a 2006 ZX10R).

But I can tell you from immediate first person experience that the difference in power between my 2013 ZX6R and this RSV4 is just on another plane of existence. And I never once felt any lack of power on my Ninja (for over 6 years and 23k miles of riding her) but this damn Aprilia made the 636 feel like a 300! Seriously...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh nooo haha, like a 300, okay now I'm definitely going to buy am Aprilla someday, maybe when I retire and go back to the states.

Ya your right about experience or lack there of. I bought a 2019 ninja400 back in December which was great for learning but I developed a hunger for more power quickly so I sold it and bought a new 2019 zx6r abs last month.

I think my zx6r will do for some time (honestly I have not even used full throttle [in any gear] yet) and, if, I'm ever hungry for more power again I have my eye on a Hindle full system exhaust which will surely pump-up my horsepower yes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Eh, no offense taken, but I must say that Anthony is the very first person I have ever heard say the RSV4 is "Ugly" lol! I don't think the current ZX-10R is ugly at all but I certainly don't rate it as one of the best looking liter bikes around. The Ducati V4S, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia RSV4, and the new Yamaha R1 are the best looking liter bikes currently, at least in MY opinion. The new Fireblade looks pretty good as well.

I've also already had a ZX-10R and this time I really wanted to try out something that wasn't Japanese. The RSV4RR was literally the perfect bike for me because it is right there in performance and exotic-ness with Ducati and BMW but at an astounding discount! 201 hp for $15,400 OTD??? Yep....
ZX10R 3.jpg

I rest my case, your Honour.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok I admit it, that ZX10R is beautiful! Just wish Kawi would finally update that awful gauge cluster...

·
Registered
628 Posts

Congrats man! Your "dream bike" at a great price is a win/win! The RSV4 up close seems about as compact as a 600, and I assume just as nimble? Except with a ton more hp!

I really wanted an Aprilla but I guess the potential parts challenges scared me off, not to mention the price tag!!

But I agree it's a beautiful bike. I like the grunty sound of the engine too.

There are a couple Aprilla here a handful of Ducati and due to low price, there are many many KTM rc200's.

I followed a fella on his rc200 yesterday. He knew his bike and the roads well and was a fast rider. I appreciated it as I'm still a new rider to sportbikes.

Great fun, no matter what sportbike one is on, in my opinion right?

The liter bike dudes over here are a bit exclusive. I almost bought a used gsxr1000 but it was a 2005, had 25,000kms on it, it was sexy besides the milage and need for a new tire was in the near future but 147hp with no frills and stil $7,800 bucks! Compared to the new zx6r for $12,500, zero km's, with 129hp, kibs, traction control and led lights, I chose the Kawasaki.

I suppose the additional 18hp is very noticable in the seat of the pants, or not really??
You made the right choice, the 05-06 gixxer 1000 is a great bike, and still sought after, but that price is ludicrous. That bike can easily put out 155hp with basic bolt ons and tune, and it is way faster than the 636, but I would have made the same decision. The 2019 KRT ZX6R is beautiful! It is not 129 hp however, more like 115.
View attachment 104761
I rest my case, your Honour.
I would love me a ZX10R. Hell, I'll take any of the new liter bikes if I could afford one. But throw that same Akra can on the RSV4, and it's a tough decision.

Reactions: MegaTechPC
21 - 34 of 34 Posts