Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, technically I got it on Labor Day last year, but I finally got the first service done last weekend as well as having some after market stuff installed so now it feels brand new again!

My 2013 636 had just clicked over 23k miles and needed work (new tires, chain, sprockets, battery, and front rotors) so I decided to get something new. I knew I wanted all the fancy goodies this time around (stuff like a TFT display, 6-axis IMU, TC, WC, auto-blipper, etc) so I'd have to step up to a liter bike, since nobody is really updating their 600's any more. Initially I was keen on a 2018+ Yamaha YZF-R1 because I love the sound of their crossplane engines and they added the blipper in 2018. But when I looked at pricing (this was back in August 2019) I realized that new leftover 2018 R1's were going for around $15k-$16k OTD and for that price I could afford something truly interesting. So I started looking at the new S1000RR (which of course is still almost impossible to find) and the Aprilia RSV4 (which had gotten its own auto-blipper and TFT display upgrades for model year 2017). Both bikes are top of the shelf European super bikes and I've only ever had Hondas and Kawis in the past so the Aprilia really interested me because it was Italian and it had that same lovely engine sound as the R1! As luck would have it, my local dealer (the ONLY Aprilia dealer in my state actually) said he could get me a brand new 2018 RSV4RR for $15,400 OTD! This is a brand new V4 liter bike with 201 hp and freaking cruise control, and it was basically cheaper than an equivalent R1! So I wrote the guy a check and in less than two weeks I had my new Italian Dream Bike!

Fast forward to last weekend and I finally got the break-in service performed. I also installed a pair of black/red CRG full length levers (wish I could've gotten some MSM levers like on my 636), a MotoDynamic fender eliminator, and a Competition Werkes integrated tail light. The bike looks so amazing and rides even more amazing! It honestly feels just as nimble as my 636 did, despite being about 40 lbs heavier. And the power, my GOD the power!!! Its way more than I will ever need (and is probably gonna get me in trouble with the local law enforcement types) but there is just no describing the feeling of rolling on the throttle on a liter bike! Especially a liter bike that sounds like this thing! Anyway, just wanted to share! Any of you guys ever had an Aprilia before???

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Congrats man that is a sexy machine!!
I am also starting to look around for another steed to add to the stable. This will be my first new purchase of anything so it’s kind of exciting. I’m considering a naked bike tho for longer rides with the wife and to just have something different in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Street Rossi
196 Posts
A dream bike of mine as well. Congrats! Really dying to ride V4 to see what it’s all about. Ducati or Aprilia it would be a hard choice for me.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats man that is a sexy machine!!
I am also starting to look around for another steed to add to the stable. This will be my first new purchase of anything so it’s kind of exciting. I’m considering a naked bike tho for longer rides with the wife and to just have something different in the garage.
Thanks! What naked are you looking at? Aprilia of course has the Tuono (which I considered) and its basically just an RSV4 with less body work and higher handle bars. Its still not super comfy though like some of the other nakeds. Honestly, if I were looking for a naked bike I'd consider the MT10 (though I wish we could get the SP here in the States). She's not a looker but she has the R1 engine (and exhaust note) and they are super cheap, even new. The new Ducati Streetfighter looks insane as well, but I'm sure it will cost about a million dollars...

A dream bike of mine as well. Congrats! Really dying to ride V4 to see what it’s all about. Ducati or Aprilia it would be a hard choice for me.
I rode the V4S and it is a super lovely bike, probably the most beautiful sport bike available right now. To be honest, if I'd had the money I probably would've gotten the Ducati just for the way it makes you feel when riding it; truly the Ferrari of motorcycles. But the thing is, I got this Aprilia for almost HALF the price of the V4S and the RSV4 is so damn close in performance that you'd really just have to not care about money at all to choose the Ducati over the Aprilia. I also personally consider the RSV4 as second ONLY to the Ducati in styling. Definitely much better looking than the new S1000RR (though that new Fireblade does look pretty good)...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, just had to post some more pics! :D

Reactions: Strider and Newyork

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I’m looking at the s1000r, the 765rs and the 890 duke r which isn’t out yet. I need to wait til they release the ktm to sit on it/compare it to the others. There’s a dealer here that sells all 3.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m looking at the s1000r, the 765rs and the 890 duke r which isn’t out yet. I need to wait til they release the ktm to sit on it/compare it to the others. There’s a dealer here that sells all 3.
Why not the 1290R Super Duke? I went down to BMW/Ducati of Jacksonville today to check out their new and used stock and they had several S1000R's and even a slightly used 1290R Super Duke (seriously, the bike had under 200 miles on it). Sat on both and they both felt really nice. I'd give the styling edge to the KTM but I'm betting the BMW will have more features and refinement. The sound of those Triumph triples are incredible! Sure wish they'd get their heads out of their asses and release a proper Daytona version of that 765RS!

Italian bikes are cool but I'm in love with my zx6r ❤
View attachment 104694
As well you should be dude! I loved my 636 from brand new in 2013 all the way up to the very day I had to hand over the keys to the new owner around Thanksgiving last year. Still the best "600" there is, even if it looks more like a Ninja 400 these days!! I kid, I kid!!!

Reactions: Davidlnrd

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why not the 1290R Super Duke? I went down to BMW/Ducati of Jacksonville today to check out their new and used stock and they had several S1000R's and even a slightly used 1290R Super Duke (seriously, the bike had under 200 miles on it). Sat on both and they both felt really nice. I'd give the styling edge to the KTM but I'm betting the BMW will have more features and refinement. The sound of those Triumph triples are incredible! Sure wish they'd get their heads out of their asses and release a proper Daytona version of that 765RS!

As well you should be dude! I loved my 636 from brand new in 2013 all the way up to the very day I had to hand over the keys to the new owner around Thanksgiving last year. Still the best "600" there is, even if it looks more like a Ninja 400 these days!! I kid, I kid!!!
What's the parts supply like for the KTM's over there in the states?

Here in the Philippines I see a lot of KTM's sitting in the garage a long time waiting for parts.

I would think stateside this is not a problem for KTM?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think I’d get in way too much trouble on the 1290. I’m Really only considering the s1000r bc they can be found used pretty cheap, otherwise looking more for sharp handling than brute force/power.

Yes the triumph sounds amazing and comes pretty well set up just needs an exhaust.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think I’d get in way too much trouble on the 1290. I’m Really only considering the s1000r bc they can be found used pretty cheap, otherwise looking more for sharp handling than brute force/power.

Yes the triumph sounds amazing and comes pretty well set up just needs an exhaust.

You’re going to get into just as much trouble on the s1000. I had one for 3 years. Its wicked fast, handles like a Jedi with a lightsaber. I thought it was a little too good. Almost like being in a f16 on autopilot. If you like blistering speeds in supreme comfort, it’d be perfect for you. But I just never felt like it was going to kill me, which made it not as fun.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You’re going to get into just as much trouble on the s1000. I had one for 3 years. Its wicked fast, handles like a Jedi with a lightsaber. I thought it was a little too good. Almost like being in a f16 on autopilot. If you like blistering speeds in supreme comfort, it’d be perfect for you. But I just never felt like it was going to kill me, which made it not as fun.

Sounds awesome Which is exactly why I’m only considering it as a used/cheaper option in the event that I find one that I love with upgrades etc... I have never purchased anything brand new or non Japanese which is why I am considering the 765 and 890 as they are in my price range.

·
Director of Moderation
10,525 Posts
The RSV4 was a dream bike for me as well for quite a few years and I finally got one last summer. It's been posted up for sale since October now :confused: I just didn't really gel with it I guess. I love the sound of it, but I realized that the sound and looks are about the only thing I like about it. They also depreciate a lot, which for me was a good thing because I got it at a good price, but I can't even seem to get $7k for it now and it's a 2013 APRC with probably about $5k in aftermarket part (full exhaust, race ECU, Ohlins suspensions, slipper clutch, rear sets, clip-ons, etc.). Winter went by without a single offer.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn, sorry to hear you didn't mesh with the Ape. For me personally I couldn't consider any of the RSV4's prior to 2017 because that's the year they really updated the bike to be competitive with the S1000RR (and later the V4S), adding the auto-blipper up and down, the TFT display with BT integration, Cruise Control, Pit Lane Limiter, etc. I really wanted all those features on my next bike because as great as my 2013 ZX6R was, I always felt jealous of the bigger bikes that had all the toys to play with!

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of interest in the bike considering its been winter time. If I were you I'd just keep riding it and not worry about selling it until May. If nothing else you could always get an offer from Rumble On. It won't be a good offer but it'd at least give you a baseline "worst case scenario" number and its a guaranteed sale.

·
Director of Moderation
10,525 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear you didn't mesh with the Ape. For me personally I couldn't consider any of the RSV4's prior to 2017 because that's the year they really updated the bike to be competitive with the S1000RR (and later the V4S), adding the auto-blipper up and down, the TFT display with BT integration, Cruise Control, Pit Lane Limiter, etc. I really wanted all those features on my next bike because as great as my 2013 ZX6R was, I always felt jealous of the bigger bikes that had all the toys to play with!

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of interest in the bike considering its been winter time. If I were you I'd just keep riding it and not worry about selling it until May. If nothing else you could always get an offer from Rumble On. It won't be a good offer but it'd at least give you a baseline "worst case scenario" number and its a guaranteed sale.
LOL..."it won't be a good offer" is a huge understatement. They'd be like...here's $900 for your bike lol

The 2017 definitely has an upgraded electronic aids package, but besides that and the extra 20-25 hp it's still the same bike. To me it just seems heavy and harder to turn. I actually want to go back to a ZX6R once I sell it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts