Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna start this by saying I'm a complete idiot like huge massive and oh my god I feel like it. Story- I overfilled my oil "I know I'm an idiot" I don't even know how I did honestly I have been using the same combo forever like 15000 miles. I don't think I let enough drain out because I was in a rush this time. anyway, I loosened the drain bolt to let some out and...... metal fragments came out as soon as I saw that I drained the whole thing and ordered 2 new filters one for backup. Anyway, there wasn't a lot of them. I would say 6 or 7 of them and none of them where hugeover the size of idk like 1/5th of an inch but I just wanna hear some input once I get my new filters I'm gonna cut open the filter to see but it still runs really well no oil burning smell starts right up so just hoping for some input. "Also ran down bought a gallon of t6 to flush the system let it run for 10 minutes and drained that brand new oil killed me but I did. and no new fragments so I'm hoping it was just some wear from the oil getting whipped up but would love more input thank you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I wanna start this by saying I'm a complete idiot like huge massive and oh my god I feel like it. Story- I overfilled my oil "I know I'm an idiot" I don't even know how I did honestly I have been using the same combo forever like 15000 miles. I don't think I let enough drain out because I was in a rush this time. anyway, I loosened the drain bolt to let some out and...... metal fragments came out as soon as I saw that I drained the whole thing and ordered 2 new filters one for backup. Anyway, there wasn't a lot of them. I would say 6 or 7 of them and none of them where hugeover the size of idk like 1/5th of an inch but I just wanna hear some input once I get my new filters I'm gonna cut open the filter to see but it still runs really well no oil burning smell starts right up so just hoping for some input. "Also ran down bought a gallon of t6 to flush the system let it run for 10 minutes and drained that brand new oil killed me but I did. and no new fragments so I'm hoping it was just some wear from the oil getting whipped up but would love more input thank you.

Do you have pics of the fragments? I feel like really small ones are ok bc I’ve seen a
Few of them before.

You shouldn’t have to drain oil when you change it. I use the same amount every time and it’s never been an issue. Find out via your Manual what the bike is supposed to take, put that amount in and the world will be a better place lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have pics of the fragments? I feel like really small ones are ok bc I’ve seen a
Few of them before.

You shouldn’t have to drain oil when you change it. I use the same amount every time and it’s never been an issue. Find out via your Manual what the bike is supposed to take, put that amount in and the world will be a better place lol.
OK cool I don't have pictures but when I say small Im talking like 2 mm long and like 2 wide little tiny chunks but I have never seen it before and a few gallons of oil is better then a new motor.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
If you didn't run the bike for any length of time overfull, odds are fair nothing happened as a result. If you or some previous owner torqued the drain plug too tight and damaged the threads in the pan, you may get debris from that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you didn't run the bike for any length of time overfull, odds are fair nothing happened as a result. If you or some previous owner torqued the drain plug too tight and damaged the threads in the pan, you may get debris from that.
They did I retapped it ran a quart through to get the debris out ran it for awhile changed the filter that was the end of the oil pan debris.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I did ride it for an hour or two over filled soo yikes

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
You'd have to be more than two quarts over full, and popping a lot of wheelies for engine damage to be guaranteed...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool glad it isnt my fault if it is bad i still need to cut the oil filter but I don't wanna take it off before i have one to put back on ya know. So whats your opinion are a few small small peices of metal ok and normal? could it be from something completly unrelated? THanks for the help by the way

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
Any metal you see in the pan is not good news. A tiny amount is inevitable; break in will cause a small amount of wear.... Once that's complete, you shouldn't see any more.

Debris in the pan could have been flushed down to it, by you having run with the level too high for a little while. No telling if it indicates imminent failure.

Engine over heating, funny sounds, loss of power, and smells, oil and coolant mixing.... As long as none of that is happening, you MAY have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only funny sound i have is the "kawi tick" but appreently thats normal and its incredibly quiet and only gets louder at 5k to like 7k and i think thats just the tank resonating because it vibrates. and its a different sound

·
Registered
173 Posts
Overfilling is more likely to blow any oil seals due to increased pressure than cause physical damage to the actual engine resulting in those fragments.
They could have come from the sump plug retap.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might have after thinking about it for a bit the ye metal did look like it was from a damaged thread or a retread plus the two metal frags I saw where aboint the size of a geandual of salt.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Overfilling is more likely to blow any oil seals due to increased pressure than cause physical damage to the actual engine resulting in those fragments.
I would agree with that. The other thing the engine may do is pump a bunch of oil out the breather until the level gets down to where the engine is happier with it. I can't imagine extra oil would cause any actual mechanical damage that would result in shavings. It isn't a good idea to run the oil level way high, but it shouldn't be a major catastrophe.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts