Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi YAWL :devious
Ive tried my hand at wheelies on Saturday....I just cant get it up!!!! ooooer.

My zx6r had the bo-locks reved outa it (in 1st) whilst flicking the throttle but still nothing, it realy seems heavy at the front end. My mate who was with me on a zx636 did it with ease on his bike. He then tried it on my bike....nothing. :O

any advice? :O :hail​

·
Registered
32 Posts
wheelie

ride out 1st gear it,ii lift.get used to it lifting first then try clutching 2nd @5-6thou

·
Registered
553 Posts
there's a lot of variables here, was the tire spinning, was the clutch slipping, what rpm was you running.........stunting is pretty addicting and pretty dangerous, go get yourself a dirt bike.

·
Banned
35 Posts
man you should just be able to snap the throttle, in first. It will come up get used to a power wheelie at first then clutch a bit in second, again it will come right up. It takes practice and can be bad for fork seals if you are slamming the front end down, just barely back off then add more throttle, to find the balance point. Try it on a 50 first. at that speed its very unforgiving

·
Registered
316 Posts
Can be expensive mistakes if you get it wrong..................keep both wheels on the ground m8..................it's cheaper

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had a '99 G2 ZX6R and it was a cinch to wheelie mate. Trundle along in first gear, get it between 25-30mph, shut the throttle and snap it open again. You have to REALLY SNAP the throttle open for results or you'll just surge forward, both wheels firmly on the deck. Other comments about fork seals are worth pointing out though! I went through 3 sets in as many months! Ouch.
I now have a 636, like your mate, and it's a totally different kettle of fish to get up, MUCH EASIER. I can now get her up in 2nd gear, something i found impossibleon my G2.
Have fun practising, but be careful!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know how you feel, i havn't really tried much to wheelie, did it by mistake once when over taken a few cars and shit in my leathers!!!, think i'll wait till i can afford any mistakes :-?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'd recommend getting good at wheelies on a push bike before trying them on a powered vehicle of any type, then if you can find one a dirt bike or supermoto would be a good next-step as they are easier to balance and don't cost nearly as much to crash.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There's better things to get up than the front wheel... :devious

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I can't wheelie for shit on my 6R. I think I'm too scared of my insurance premium. I can get it up like 6 inches in 1st gear power wheelie but it can't get up even a smidge by just getting on the throttle, only when I chop and go WOT. The ER6n is another story. I've only just started but I can power wheelie in first for about 12 feet and I'm gradually getting it closer to BP. I'm too scared of dumping it though so I'll probably never get there. It's a dream to wheelie compared to the 6R, though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ya! I can't wheelie to save my ass either(scare's the crap out of me) so I'll keep both planted. Craziest thing I've personally seen, I was riding in Montana going towards Glacier National Park when from out no where this guy on gixxer 1000, passes me doing a stand up wheelie!!!!......I clocked him doing about 150. CRAZY!!!:gixxer: :fou:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I Gave up wheeling after a totaled bike and a broken bone...But if you really want to power wheelie in first its not that hard on the 6. I mean i'm 210 and can get it up...can't ride it out, but can get it up a few feet. The best way to learn is practice..practice...practice. For me I get going in first around 8k chop the throttle a few times and SNAP WOT and I have myself a wheelie. Or another way is to go about 20mph and snap WOT. I guarntee it will bring the font up then. Just take baby steps until you get comfortable with the wheel coming up. Trust it will take you awhile.:) Oh yea where your gear and be safe:thumbup

·
Registered
389 Posts
p.s Keep you back brake covered at ALL times! If you feel like your getting out of control just tap the back brake and she'll come back down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies dudes....some interesting and informative methods there... :)

I will let you know my progress... cheers

Steve

·
Banned
35 Posts
Just always remember that at that speed without proper gear, it might be something that you will live with the rest of your life....that could be good or it could be very,very bad!

·
Registered
145 Posts
i wouldnt do it on public roads either you could hurt your self or some innocent person just minding there own business.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't wheelie for shit on my 6R. I think I'm too scared of my insurance premium. I can get it up like 6 inches in 1st gear power wheelie but it can't get up even a smidge by just getting on the throttle, only when I chop and go WOT. The ER6n is another story. I've only just started but I can power wheelie in first for about 12 feet and I'm gradually getting it closer to BP. I'm too scared of dumping it though so I'll probably never get there. It's a dream to wheelie compared to the 6R, though.
well thats a good reason to be scared quarks lol....i got a 03 6r and it will lift somtimes at the top of first(11-12 grand) at open throttle even when im over the tank...other than that if you get starteled by the "snap" action of the throttle to lift it in first you can just start at a low speed in first(10-15)then open the throttle all the way...when you reach about 8-9 grand just pull allittle bit on the bars and it will start to lift and at a rate that is much less abrupt:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts