Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my new Motodynamic rear taillight and fender eliminator kit the other night. Everything went perfectly until I got to bolting the seat back on. I got the first allen screw in no problem but when I attempted to do the right side of the bike the stupid screw came off the screw driver and fell into the little tray beneath. I could see it so I tried to use a magnetic screwdriver to pull it out but it wasn't strong enough and pushed the screw even further up under where I can't even see it anymore! I tried shaking the bike side to side and leaned it over as far as I dared on the right side but no luck. So wtf do I do now? I just left it unbolted on the right side for now until I can figure out how to get the damn screw out of there...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I bought one of those telescopic magnet thingys. It's basically an antenna and the end has a flexible piece which allows the magnet to bend around things. Try getting one of those. I've had tons of stuff fall into fairings and this tool has saved my ass so many times.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I lost one of those plastic pop rivets somewhere and I can't find it.

I'd do what RedandBlack said, or tape a small magnet to a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I also use a small what looks like a tightly wound spring but when you push the button plunger on the one end a four prong grabber comes out the other end...very useful to grab things in tight to reach places where a magnet can't get to or non magnetic

·
Registered
126 Posts
Happened to me as well...i couldnt reach it as well so i just left it there and put another bolt in its place haha

·
Registered
961 Posts
I lost the same screw several months ago. I probably road around with it out/lost for 1,000 miles. I found it accidentally one day.

Might want to look where your swingarm pivots at. Mine was laying there and went, "Ah-ha! I found that sum-bitch!" I can't believe it never bounced out or anything. I'm sure it was stuck in the tray for a while then made it's way down there. There's a little bit of space where the threaded end of the bolt sat.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
That has happened to me before as well. I used a magnet (like the telescopic version mentioned above) to retrieve it. The magnet is much stronger than a magnetized screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, glad its not only me. I'm gonna get one of those magnet-thingies after work today. Should I go to Auto Zone or Home Depot?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Either/Or. Autozone is more auto and Home Depot is more home.

Did you check in that space I told you about? Right behind the rear shock?

Worse case scenario, is anytime you lose a bolt and can't seem to find it, just go to the dealer and order a new one. It's like $5. Often times you will eventually find it, but when I do, I just put it in a bag of my extra nuts and bolts that came off the bike. I rode around for several months with just one bolt for my seat.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up an adjustable magnet at Autozone and fished the seat bolt right out of there! Worked like a charm, thanks guys!

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestion. The telescoping magnet thing was only $8 at Autozone so that ended up working well. I can just see the pop rivets that hold the rear body panels on getting lost in a similar fashion as the seat bolt and having to figure out how to get it back without magnets...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. The telescoping magnet thing was only $8 at Autozone so that ended up working well. I can just see the pop rivets that hold the rear body panels on getting lost in a similar fashion as the seat bolt and having to figure out how to get it back without magnets...
i just unbolted my tank and grabbed it.. lol

·
Registered
961 Posts
Do you have a Service Manual? If not, it will tell you how to take that tail section off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts