Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I fired the bike up to let it warm up while I geared up for the ride to work. I hopped on after a couple of minutes and decided to look at the fuel level. Without thinking, I grabbed the key from the ignition to open the fuel cap. Then to my surprise, I realized the bike was still running!

Is this normal, or is there a locking mechanism inside my ignition switch that has failed?

2006 636 by the way. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's not normal but it won't hurt anything. The tumblers in your ignition are worn out. If you really want to fix it, a locksmith should be able to.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Dam and here I thought it was normal...:O
I mean I don't think it is...normally of any lock, you should not be able to pull a key out when it's engaged. But I know that it does happen in cars and it's usually just because the tumblers are worn out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm ok with it. Worst case, I hit a hellacious bump and my key flies out haha. I was just wondering if it was normal. I may be visiting a locksmith soon anyway to get a spare cut.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean I don't think it is...normally of any lock, you should not be able to pull a key out when it's engaged. But I know that it does happen in cars and it's usually just because the tumblers are worn out.
Ya a buddy of mine had an old RX-7 that would do it. I always thought it was weird, and it was the only other time I've seen it happen

·
Registered
972 Posts
It is NOT normal. If the vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle) is engaged and motor is running, the key should not come loose as it could pop loose if you hit a pothole or something. Also means it's alot easier to steal and other keys may work to start up the bike as well.

Reactions: NitrusReigns

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
It is NOT normal. If the vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle) is engaged and motor is running, the key should not come loose as it could pop loose if you hit a pothole or something. Also means it's alot easier to steal and other keys may work to start up the bike as well.
Agreed - not normal. However, the only thing I would be at all concerned about is theft. This would make it MUCH easier to steal which, depending on theft in your area, could be a significant concern :O

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Not normal, But I want to ask, Do you not have a trip meter?
I use mine to monitor fuel, reset it everytime I fill up.
If you know how many miles you get from a tank..it's easy..I get 150 ish before reserve.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rarely ride anywhere else other than work and back..and I work on a military base and have the bike in plain site from my hangar. That's not to say some aren't brave/stupid enough to steal it, but it would take some balls. At home, it stays inside the garage.

So with the tumblers not functioning properly, you guys are saying it may be possible to start the bike with a different key?

Funny thing, the pilot I bought it from on base would leave his helmet hanging on the bike, like most do here really, but would also leave the key inside the helmet. When he told me to test ride it he just said "the keys in my helmet, and the helmets there if you wanna use it too". Kind of surprised me. I take my helmet in and my key of course. Just makes sense.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you know how many miles you get from a tank..it's easy..I get 150 ish before reserve.
Yes I do have a trip meter. At least I'm pretty sure. I've always just either let the light warn me, or gone about 5 days work and back, then refueled regardless.

·
Registered
972 Posts
So with the tumblers not functioning properly, you guys are saying it may be possible to start the bike with a different key?
In the older, ancient cars from the 70s and some early 80s, you could pull out the key while running. On bikes, it shouldn't happen and doesn't happen on my '13 nor my '07 GS500F. If you can put your key in, start it, and pull it out, it's not locking right which means it is completely PLAUSIBLE that a different key could start the bike. Find a friend with a similar bike (zx6r) and see if it will work. There's a high probability it will.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yes I do have a trip meter. At least I'm pretty sure. I've always just either let the light warn me, or gone about 5 days work and back, then refueled regardless.
I use my trip meter as well for figuring out when to fill up. Since we have the same bike, I can say with reasonable confidence that you do too (unless you or a previous owner swapped the gauges). I usually go about 120 before filling up - my light would usually come on between 125 and 130.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lol well now I know . My 02 r 6 I had before my zx did the same so I jus figured it was normal . Learning new things everyday , apologies for the incorrect answer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts