Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bawling would you believe it got new 014's, I took it out to try and scrub them in and as I pulled out of my drive the bike slid from under me, now my baby is all scratched :banghead
How can I take the releasing agent off the tyres,

really hope someome can help as this was a low speed crash (5 mph) I really don't want this at high speed
cheers

·
Registered
617 Posts
The only way to scrub them in is to ride on them really!. You could also take like a belt sander and gently give them a going over. I've had brand new tires before and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
:stupid ride really careful for a few miles :burnout

you can scrub them in with some sand paper, takes about 20 minutes...i've never found it necessary though. :O sucks about your off! :thumbdown

-:banana

·
Registered
80 Posts
Belt sander, sand paper, waste of time and a complete myth. Tires have to go thru a couple of good heat cycles to be "scrubbed" in properly. Or if you have tire warmers, just put those on them for about 45 minutes before you ride, ride easy for about 30 or 40 miles and you are good. You can break in a new set of tires within 50 miles or so otherwise just by riding the canyons at an easy pace. Otherwise, just take it very easy, dont lean into a corner too much and give them about 80 miles and they will be good.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Let the tires go thru a heat cycle, just ride smart, like there is sand everywhere, and just take it easy the first few miles. Sorry to hear about the bike, but you walked away and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I scrub the front with a sanding block or brick by hand before mounting it, then for the rear I mount it up, put the bike on a rear stand and hold said sanding device to the tire with the bike running and in 1st gear. I run the sanding block from edge to edge till the tire's scuffed all around and none of the shiny stuff (which I would call mould release, but some will aruge that point). Then I take it sorta easy, but I've never felt any unusual slips after doing this process.

have fun

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It will only get a little tiny strip in the middle of the tires done unless your drag strip has curves......

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
It will only get a little tiny strip in the middle of the tires done unless your drag strip has curves......
LOL
J/K

You would be surprised at what a night with about 12-10 lbs of air and a side to side burn out with VHT will do to a tire.:Oo:
There is NO WAY that I'll flatten my new Qualifiers.
I'll saving the old one for that if Im really going to drag my 6.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just ride. But you're the 2nd peson this week I know of going down on new 014's When I picked up the GSXR it had 014's on it, they were on it for less than a week :laugh The next set - scrubbed in after 10 miles and I went as hard as I could on them. No heat cycling, just wore the crap off.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I suspect it may be somewhat of a temperature thing, I suspect that new tires are extra slick esp in cold conditions and that even without being scrubbed they are probably not bad in warmer weather. Both new tire crashes this week were in cool climates, most of the folks posting up that they manually scrubb their tires are in cool climates, Steve and Crtl are in very warm climates and just ride....seems to be a correlation:)

Luckily I put on 20k miles a year and my tires last 20k and it just so happens that they usually are dead around late june, early july.....

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Isn't it warm everywhere? You might be onto something.

I don't even think about gearing up unless it's over 60F (16C) that's my absolute minimum, and it had better be forecast to get warmer as the day goes on.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:laugh I ride every day and roughly half of that is below 60 deg F, much way below - lowest this season was 7 deg F:)

I don't push it half as hard as I suspect you do though:blush

1 - 18 of 18 Posts