Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

How to reassure the wife after laying bike down?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  NEPAzx6r 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So after my laying the bike down because of the vicious goose attack(see previous post), my wife is now freaking out about how the little things can cause potentially serious issues.

How do you with spouses reassure your other half after having an accident. Really not wanting it to come down to the whole guilt trip and or the having to get rid of the bike so she doesn't freak out every time I mention the bike.

Please none of the nonsense "ask for your balls back" type comments as I really need advice to continue this passion...

#4 ·
Every rider on the face of the earth has or will go down at some point. Even professional racers. Reassure her that there is a reason behind the gear. Dress for the crash, not the ride, and that you will become a smarter rider for going down.
I actually really like that statement of dressing for the crash and not for the ride. Not sure if it'll make her feel better but I do hope that it shows her I'm being as careful as possible by using ATGATT, and watching/reading and training as much as I can.

#11 ·
The deal I made is:
For every dollar I want to spend on go fast bits(or cosmetic) I must first spend an equal or greater amount on upgrading safety gear, and render unto the woman an equal amount of cash.

That way I am always improving my crash worthiness (trying to swing track classes as "safety gear" ATM.) and she gets something extra. Further it keeps me from... Impulse buying the go fast section of stg.

Ey3

#16 ·
This is a reasonable approach... hopefully she'll relax the 3X spending requirement at some point. If you can wrangle that to include formal training at a closed course setting under professional guidance to improve your overall safety, so much the better.

Going fast isn't necessarily about more HP, or lighter weight -- both help; it's more important to not need to slow down, so you can keep the average speed higher.

#14 ·
i have been down 2x. 1st time i was just beginning to ride and a friend was teaching me over at the school parking lot.... learned gravel is bad! 2nd time i was going into work at a secure facility and my dumbass coworker closed the gates (beams that shoot up from the ground) on me... causing me to go over the handle bars and total my bike. while it is not something we want to happen again, we must learn from our mistakes and ride smarter. just tell her what happend but with that said.. she needs to understand that riding is a passion and a de-stresser for all of us who ride. she should respect that and try not to change you or your hobbies. i would suggest getting frame sliders or a crash cage though.

#19 ·
Please none of the nonsense "ask for your balls back" type comments as I really need advice to continue this passion...
i was literally going to say... SO, another option, buy her a 250, then she'll have no choice but to let you ride your mistress

#20 · (Edited)
Personally, if she's that worried about a goose attack getting her hurt, then I'd just track her bike. Wouldn't even think twice, cause I wouldn't want to be riding around on the street worrying about her with me. I don't ride to worry about things, especially somebody I care about.

If you don't want to go that route, tell her that there is always a risk of going out on the bike, but in most every rider, that risk is offset by a deep love and passion in the freedom of being on the bike.

#21 ·
Yeah actually I completely read that as your wife wrecked a bike while learning and I think some other people did too.

In that case, ask for your balls back, dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.